Picking up my Prima Edizione

1 ... 5678910

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

fredfrey
While I can relate to your feelings and understand your worries, I really think there is much over-reacting going on here in regares to the dash color. First the photos are inside a fluorescent lit showroom. I think one needs to be in the car, in the sunlight, in person. A real world experience the only way to go on this.

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

Doodles
sketch wrote
Think about it this way: this, not the Sport, is the one that's gonna be fetching $100,000 (2050 value) on the Barrett-Jackson in forty years! :P

EXactly !!!

But it won't take 40 years !!

In two or three years it will be worth more than you paid for it.

This is why its important to get the Prima Edizione.

I'm keeping my current ride, no trade in, and keeping my rosso edizione

under a car cover.

under a car cover.

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

sketch
It's a one-make one-model Internet forum. Everything on these is an overreaction! :P

I do agree, though. It's not a "grey" dash insert, it's graphite, and I'm sure once the light strokes it properly it'll be positively dazzling. And the car looks fantastic. I'm getting more and more psyched about it every day!

Remember, if you don't like it, you don't have to buy it.  I, for one, think the black roof, black stripes (which we all knew would be there since that computer rendering in, what, November?), and black mirrors work famously together to create something that actually does manage to look sportier and more aggressive than the regular Sport.  The black pockets on the wheels help that too—the regular alloys on the Sport demo are cool, they just seemed a little drab because of that.

Seriously doubt it. Sorry.
I will eat my words if you can find a similar example for a regular production car.

Seriously doubt it. Sorry.
I will eat my words if you can find a similar example for a regular production car.

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

sjmst
Doodles, they say that investing in a car usually doesn't pay off. Also, for me, it would be a shame to not use the car as intended. But if that's what you want to do, it's your money. And I DO hope you are right!

As for the PRIMA, here are my pros and cons:

CONS:
Yes, we got CGI pics of the exterior, but that doesn't really tell us what the stripes would look like in real life. That was a debatable addition right from the start anyway. I was also told by the Fiat Information Line that I could delete that. Well, we all know how that turned out.

The bezel was another great secret, when there is no reason it should have been. What was described as liquid graphite instrument panel could have been several things. Some of us guessed right, some wrong. Why did we have to guess at all? Especially when many called the info line and asked. Yet they never got the info.

ON THE OTHER HAND.

We did plunk down $500 sight unseen for a car. It is impossible for anyone to make a car to suit everyone's tastes. The Prima, by its very nature, is not customizable. So, it's not Burger King...you don't get it your way...you get it "their" way.

Sure, there could have been a more competent process, but Fiat did try. Some things are beyond their control. And having the car shipped to buyers is a grand (and expensive) gesture!

The dash may have been a Faux Pas…or not. We must see it in person to decide.

As for me.

I am taking this car. All for personal reasons.
First: I am dying to get my hands on it.
Second: my current car, while mint, has high miles and the value goes down daily. I need a new car NOW.
Third: they are making 50,000 of these cars per year...those of us with Primas have one of only 489 cars in our country (500- the 11 to VIP's and museum). This is A VERY RARE CAR.
Fourth: I DO like the black roof, round Prima badges, and red stitching
Fifth: My number is 499. The badge will say 499-500..Cool or what?
Sixth: I can change the dash and remove the stripes cheaply and easily.

The wheels, I don’t like, but that too could be changed.

So there I go, when will my car be ready?

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

prima 109
I'm with you, the car is rare and mine won't be driven in the winter, I have another car for that, but it will be driven aprox 8 to 10k a year.  People can do what they want with theirs, as for me, mine's staying as is.

craig
Craig #109 Rosso with sunroof/post assembly block heater.

Its not a regular production car; thats the point.  Its the first in 27 years for fiat
and there is only 500 of these.

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

Gavin
Mine: as is (easy since I got the gray)...5k miles a year at most...will be garage kept at home and work, but I will be riding in the winter.

The stripe has grown on me. I love the black roof. I like the wheels. The dash is ok...not loving the dash 500 prima logo, but it's not a deal breaker (just looks a bit cheap to me). I love the steering wheel.

Now the question for me is...do I keep it after the electric comes out or trade it in??

And if I plan to trade it in, should I just lease (i have never leased before so that confuses me a bit...plus I don't even know if you can lease the Prima).

Will likely buy and then decide when the electric version comes out (still might get the Volvo C30 electric...but I wonder when Volvo will actually make it for sale in the States...could be 2 years...could be more...could be never....but it is a close race between the C30 EV and the 500 EV...both sexy little cars)

Gavin

What I mean is, a car (make/model) that is not otherwise rare (e.g. Bugatti). This is a special edition of a regular production model.
The Primas will go up in value in two years--that's your prediction? OK.

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

Sam, that's a fair analysis of the situation.

I think one of the issues is there are so many great colors to choose from, and we've waited so long, we're second guessing ourselves.

I would like to have two 500s!

Here is the general feeling I get about what's going on. March/April have always been when things are to fall into place (marketing, website, etc.). Everything up until that time will all be preliminary. They are building the infrastructure, and we've seen the bumps and growing pains. After April, I expect things to start to smoothen out. That was the schedule I've seen from back in December.

That's why I'm thinking it'll be more like decades.  They're always talking about things like "rare option codes" when those '60s muscle cars and '50s station wagons roll across the stage.

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

MrJones
Yeah, I get what you're saying; but after you factor in simple cost of ownership (gas, fees, maintenance, insurance, financing, etc.), and then inflation, you don't "make" money off this car. A car is a poor investment vehicle (pun intended).

I was recently searching for a '71 convertible Mercedes. I saw a few in the $30-35K range. Original sticker: ~$14K. Factor in inflation, and that same car today (if new) would cost closer to $75K. Just an example.

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

sketch
Oh, sure, absolutely.  I'm not buying it as an investment, I'll
probably put more miles on it than all of you! :P

It's just sort of an added perk, you know?

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

Giallo Edizione
sketch wrote
That's why I'm thinking it'll be more like decades.  They're always talking about things like "rare option codes" when those '60s muscle cars and '50s station wagons roll across the stage.
I agree. Do not have any illusions about growing in value, especially in the next 5 years. Maybe retaining some value relative to other 500 models perhaps, ie depreciating at slightly lower rate. The most relevant example is the 2006 MINI Cooper S "CP" version that only had a couple of hundred numbered units imported to the US. But that had a lot of features that went beyond a few graphics and some stitching. Those have more or less settled into a resale value range ( assuming excellent condition and modest miles) a little below original cost and held there . Dealers were getting premium over sticker when new so the resale is actually measurably below original cost for most original owners. Used buyers will make out better.

If PE's are so hot, doesn't it make you wonder why there is limited traffic on this site or the other 500 sites?? Why is no one begging others to give up their slot? Why not more scamming on craigslist and ebay? It was much crazier with MINI and SMART when those cars were first introduced.

The exclusiveness is something we each can value for our own self-image and maybe some bragging rights to those who missed out and can't find one. I like the cars, I like being an early adopter, but I did not expect the PE's to be mixed in with a flood of thousands of cars shipped for dealer inventory ( my dealer already publicly stating they have at least 50 incoming cars this month to choose from).  So I am going to go llok at their marketing model today and test drive a 500 next week and look at their incoming inventory. If I like the drive and see one I like better for same or lower price, I may change. I do think some of the PE-specific features are nice for the extra $500, like the black roof, blackout wheels, stitching (except the stripes and maybe the dash)  and probably not worth it but nice anyway and though these things will likely ultimately be optional on future models, for now I won't see myself coming down the road for a while. I'm probably going to sell next year and buy an Abarth if I like the car still and if the Abarth is worth its cost, so no matter what I choose now, its really short term anyway one way or the other.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

gloom
Alvon Elrod wrote
From what I gather, the PE comes with these features that are not standard for the Sport:
1) Black :  accents on the wheels, mirrors, side stripe, roof, rear spoiler
2) Grey :  insturment panel bezel (called graphite)
3) Red :  thread color on the seats
3) Automatic Temperature control
4) Sirius satellite radio
5) Special emblems on the seats, the dash, the outside B pillar, and the floor mats
6) Security alarm
Here's the full list of PE-exclusive features:
• 16-inch Aluminum Wheels with Black Pockets
• Gloss Black Painted Roof
• Gloss Black Exterior Mirrors
• Black Body Side Stripes
• Unique Numbered Exterior Badging
• Prima Edizione Badge on Front Seat Backs
• Unique Red Stitching on Seats, Steering Wheel and Shift Boot
• Liquid Graphite Painted Instrument Panel
• Black Floor Mats with Red 500 Logo
• Prima Edizione USB stick
• Prima Edizione Key Fob Case

And the PE Speciale features:
• Panoramic Power Sunroof
• Automatic Temperature Control
• 6 Premium BOSE Speakers with Subwoofer
• SIRIUS® Satellite Radio with 1-Year Subscription
• Security Alarm

UPDATE: these are the Canadian specs. Thanks sketch

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

sketch
That's the Canadian one, mind you.
1 ... 5678910