Picking up my Prima Edizione

12345 ... 10

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

rbrf2
I haven't been able to go to the dealership to check out and get an explanation regarding the additional fees, but I will surely keep you guys posted.   I can walk away from it, but I'm sure there will be no shortage of people who are willing to take 1 of limited edition FIAT 500 Prima Edizione.  When I was at the dealership he had a list of 8 people picking up the limited edition and about 34 pre-orders.

Anyhow, I will try to go tomorrow just to get an explanation.

Fiat hasn't released the list of dealerships in Ontario who will carry and sell the FIATS, but the owner of the dealership I went to said, there were 5 dealerships chosen by FIAT in Ontario, but looks like only 3 Chrysler dealership will end up actually becoming FIAT dealerships.  So I cannot really go shopping around for a better price.

Thanks for everyones feedback.  I started this thread to find out if I should get extended warranty and rust proofing, but it seems the majority of respondents on other forums have said to say NO to both.

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

sjmst
"Documentation fees ("doc" fees) are typically charged by dealers as a kind of administrative fee. The fee amount ranges from about $250 to $600, much of which is simply added profit for the dealer. Many dealers have the fee pre-printed on the sales form to make it seem official. Some dealers are willing to reduce or waive documentation fees, and others simply refuse to negotiate as a matter of policy. "

See also
http://www.carbuyingtips.com/scams.htm#Scam6

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

Springer2011
Go to the Fiat Canada website www.fiatcanada.com and click the "our dealers" link. Choose Ontario in the selection box that comes up. Their are sixteen dealers in Ontario.

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

Springer1952
The comment that documentation fees/administrative fees are 200 to 600 dollars is incorrect. I have bought 18 news cars and have gone through my documentaion and checked this fee. It is about $50 give or take $5-10.

What is this fee for?

It is a fee paid to the dealer so they can act as your "Power of Attorney" in filing your paperwork with your State. This is how you get your registration and license plates in the mail. The dealer files all the paperwork for you.

It is absolutely incorrect that this fee is $200-600 dollars.

If you question if the fee is $50 or $200-600, I would call several dealers of different makes and check what their fee is. When you get a range you can take this to the dealer who is charging you this much and negotiate. Knowledge is power here. Ask the dealers if they have you sign a power of attorney for filing your paperwork. The power of attorney is only for this transaction.

You also have to be careful who you listen to on this site since some are involved with dealers, the factory, etc. and may have their own agenda. You want someone honest and experienced as myself to listen to.

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

Carabinieri
While I do not necessarily disagree with the merits of your post, springer '52, must admit that your closer, "You also have to be careful who you listen to on this site since some are involved with dealers, the factory, etc. and may have their own agenda. You want someone honest and experienced as myself to listen to" was almost breathtaking.

Maybe I have missed something, but it appears you wish others here accept on your statement that you are "honest and experienced."  You may well be both, but I haven't seen much from other posters that indicates any particular personal or corporate agendas.

If I have taken your statement 180 from your intent, apologies; I'll buy you a beer at a FIAT 500 rally somewhere.

Bill
Nei Secoli Fedele

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

Minuszka
" I talked to Motor Village LA and they said the total fees above sticker price are $55 doc fees " - I've called one dealer in my area and was told 499 for Doc. fee. They were pretty firm about it, explaining that everybody, even the owner would have to pay that when buying a car from them. ;-)
Several posts in this thread pointed out that the realistic amount is much less for doc fee. What can we do?

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

sjmst
Minuszka wrote
" I talked to Motor Village LA and they said the total fees above sticker price are $55 doc fees " - I've called one dealer in my area and was told 499 for Doc. fee. They were pretty firm about it, explaining that everybody, even the owner would have to pay that when buying a car from them. ;-)
Several posts in this thread pointed out that the realistic amount is much less for doc fee. What can we do?
Q: How can you tell when a dealer is lying?
A: His lips are moving.

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

Minuszka wrote
" I talked to Motor Village LA and they said the total fees above sticker price are $55 doc fees " - I've called one dealer in my area and was told 499 for Doc. fee. They were pretty firm about it, explaining that everybody, even the owner would have to pay that when buying a car from them. ;-)
Several posts in this thread pointed out that the realistic amount is much less for doc fee. What can we do?

Something isn't right.  They have to be talking about destination.  EVERYONE pays destination, it's called equalized freight and if you live near the factory or 3,000 miles away it is the same 99% of the time (sometimes they do do east or west of the Mississippi shipping). There is no markup on destination.

 As for doc(umentation) fees, I have what they are in my records, I'll look them up tomorrow. I believe it's for the clerk to file DMV, do the lien releases, notarize paperwork, etc.

This $499, is this a deposit that goes toward registration and the balance will be refunded?

If they can't explain exactly what it is, or they are charging $499 for what others are charging $50 for, go somewhere else.

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

Minuszka
Destination is included in the Prima price!
Thanks for looking up the doc fee. Re.g and title is not part of the doc fee they quoted, those would be additional.
" This $499, is this a deposit that goes toward registration and the balance will be refunded?  " - no, it's for their running the business, bills, non commission salaries etc.
" If they can't explain exactly what it is, or they are charging $499 for what others are charging $50 for, go somewhere else.  " - here is the problem, in case of the Prima E. we can't really go somewhere else. There is this one dealership in the entire State.

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

Minuszka wrote
Destination is included in the Prima price!
Thanks for looking up the doc fee. Re.g and title is not part of the doc fee they quoted, those would be additional.
" This $499, is this a deposit that goes toward registration and the balance will be refunded?  " - no, it's for their running the business, bills, non commission salaries etc.
" If they can't explain exactly what it is, or they are charging $499 for what others are charging $50 for, go somewhere else.  " - here is the problem, in case of the Prima E. we can't really go somewhere else. There is this one dealership in the entire State.
When I sold cars, that was what the hold back was used for. In other states, they don't charge as much.
  It might not be worth it, but maybe you can travel to another state?

Really sorry to hear that Minuszka.

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

Gavin
Well I will likely have to go about 260 miles to get my Prima...not horrid, but my local dealer is literally 2 miles from my house...so having to cross state lines to get my Prima is a bit sad...

Luckily the Fiat Studio in El Paso has been very supportive and great with answering my emails.

We already have our systems programmed to have both the Texas and New Mexico taxes.  If you are registering your vehicle in NM, then you will pay New Mexico taxes, which you will be glad to know, are about half of Texas taxes.  New Mexico taxes are 3% and the document fee is $150.

In other words, we can get you though the process with our eyes closed; you don't need to worry about anything. =)  And we'd love to deliver your Prima vehicle.

So I'm liking them so far :)

And the 260 mile ride home will let me get my Prima broken in a bit.

Gavin

Posting this in a couple of threads as I'm not sure where it best fits :)

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

sjmst
Gavin wrote
[...]

Nice! Good luck and let us know when "the call" comes!

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

prima 109
I feel your pain Gavin.  My local Chryler dealer hasn't broken groun yet, so my car is going to Youngstown, OH, about 100 miles away and in another state, the closeet open dealer.  Allthough not as far as you, but still inconveinent.

Craig
Craig #109 Rosso with sunroof/post assembly block heater.

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

Gavin
prima 109 wrote
I feel your pain Gavin.  My local Chryler dealer hasn't broken groun yet, so my car is going to Youngstown, OH, about 100 miles away and in another state, the closeet open dealer.  Allthough not as far as you, but still inconveinent.

Craig
Your dealer should be offering home delivery...for free. Going to a Studio...Fun...Walking out in Jammies to sign for car already in your driveway...priceless.

Gavin :)

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

prima 109
LOL.  Yes, I'm going to check on it, thanks.smiley image='anim_handshake.gif'/>

Craig
Craig #109 Rosso with sunroof/post assembly block heater.

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

Springer2011
I am not sure what the Prima delivery fees are but I think there may be two different delivery fees. I am ordering a non Prima, Sport model tommorrow and it is my understanding the delivery fee from the factory in Mexico is $ 500.

For you Prima owners maybe there are two delivery fees:
1) A $500 fee to deliver from the factory to the dealer.
2) A delivery fee within the US that Fiat is nice enough to cover since there is not enough coverage of dealerships yet. From what I read everyone says this is free.

The dealer told me that they have been checking with the factory and it should take 4-6 weeks to deliver a non Prima car after the order is placed.

I think the factory has completed the Prima cars and is most likely starting production of the regular versions.

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

sketch
The first delivery fee you mention is typically called the "destination charge".  Just about any car will have one.

I heard somewhere that the destination charge is included in the Prima's price.  Not sure if that's substantiated, though.

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

Gavin
Prima: Destination included.

Gavin

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

Giallo Edizione
Gavin wrote
Prima: Destination included.

Gavin
Destination included for what total price?
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Picking up my Prima Edizione

sjmst
Secret Bezel wrote
Gavin wrote
Prima: Destination included.

Gavin
Destination included for what total price?
19,500

12345 ... 10