PE Spare Tire

FiatDude
Does anyone know whether a spare tire can be added to the PE version or did they do something to prevent you from adding one?  My PE finally arrived at the dealer yesterday and I'd like to avoid the goop approach to a flat tire.

Re: PE Spare Tire

Thad
Yes, it is an option. It comes with a bracket for mounting.

Re: PE Spare Tire

SpidArman
It will, however, prevent you from installing a quad tipped performance exhaust..... :)
Prima Edizone #419 Rosso/Sunroof/EB Heater

Re: PE Spare Tire

Alvon Elrod
 . . . and with jack and tool kit hopefully??????
Alvon Elrod, #18 White, no sunroof
1970 Fiat 124 spider

Re: PE Spare Tire

Giallo Edizione
SpidArman wrote
It will, however, prevent you from installing a quad tipped performance exhaust.....  :)
That was the first thing I realized when I got my 500 home...no problem, thank goodness for FIAT road side assistance program.

 Oh, they won't be coming to change that flat for six months because they haven't got  a license?
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: PE Spare Tire

cogtooth
I used goop on a tractor tire over 5 years ago, and haven't had a problem since with the tire.
Bianco Perla Sport

Re: PE Spare Tire

Giallo Edizione
cogtooth wrote
I used goop on a tractor tire over 5 years ago, and haven't had a problem since with the tire.
Hopefully you are not driving that tractor down the interstate at 80 mph.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: PE Spare Tire

FiatDude wrote
Does anyone know whether a spare tire can be added to the PE version or did they do something to prevent you from adding one?  My PE finally arrived at the dealer yesterday and I'd like to avoid the goop approach to a flat tire.
The tire goop.

Here is the way I look at it, having both a limited use spare and the goop/sealant is two fold, first off, the sealant is only good for punctures of around 1/16th of an inch, you leave said object IN place and use the sealer to seal around the puncture and it's meant as a temporary/short term fix until you can get to the tire repair place to have said object removed and the tire properly patched, that is, if said object isn't at or near the edge of the tread or IN the sidewall in the first place. If the latter, then the tire will have to be replaced and all spares these days are limited service spares, meant for use up to about 45mph and for a limited tread life, then you have to replace the tire itself and since it's less than the diameter of your actual wheel and tire, it isn't meant to remain on the car long, but long enough to get you to the tire place to repair or replace said tire as it can affect your handling etc in a negative way due to the size differences.

Bottom line, I plan on having and/or using both when necessary as I've had a tire blow its sidewall and have had 3 of 4 tires with bulges and any one of them could've blown on me, way back in the day. Not had bulges like that since 1984 but you never know and I've since have had a tire develop tread separation (good Yokohomas too) and that was in 2005 and the tires were probably due replacement anyway and/or other issue such as needing an alignment but none the less, anything is possible and just because one hasn't had to use their spare in 20 years doesn't mean one should never have a spare handy.

I've had several tires patched due to nails and the like over the years in my highway commuting travels to know that slow leaks are a pain (thankfully I have a tire pump to add air as needed) and sometimes you DO blow a tire (have seen that happen and have blown one myself when I hit a pothole in such a way as o blow out the sidewall and then use my spare and was able to get the tire replaced that day).

Ever since I've begun using Discount Tire, their warranty has saved my ass many a time as a result.

Re: PE Spare Tire

I'm going on a 2,000 mile road trip through West Virginia, Kentucky, etc. I better not forget to get a spare!

Re: PE Spare Tire

cogtooth
My non-prima (still 3 weeks away?) will have a spare tire, but I hope it also comes with the sealant.  I have a six highway mile commute to work (sometimes ridden by bike), and a cell phone call to home for a backup ride is the fastest quick fix.  I was able to drive 20 miles on the one blowout tire I've had in my life.  I was planning on getting new tires that month, anyway, and the rim was not hurt.  Maybe they should give us a kit for repairing nail holes, since that is probably the most common flat.  It seems to take a service station only a minute or two to repair a tire with a nail.
Bianco Perla Sport

Re: PE Spare Tire

ciddyguy
cogtooth wrote
My non-prima (still 3 weeks away?) will have a spare tire, but I hope it also comes with the sealant.  I have a six highway mile commute to work (sometimes ridden by bike), and a cell phone call to home for a backup ride is the fastest quick fix.  I was able to drive 20 miles on the one blowout tire I've had in my life.  I was planning on getting new tires that month, anyway, and the rim was not hurt.  Maybe they should give us a kit for repairing nail holes, since that is probably the most common flat.  It seems to take a service station only a minute or two to repair a tire with a nail.
I believe but could be wrong that either way, the pump/sealant, also known as the tire kit will be with the car as it's considered standard equipment.

Re: PE Spare Tire

Gavin
Well 300 miles in and I now know I will be adding a spare ;)

Less than a mile from home and the "check your rear drivers side tire" message flashes on the dash and the light pressure light comes on. The car is driving fine and I worried it was a computer glitch.

I drive the 5 blocks home and check the tire...flat. Dang. Ok, break out the fix a flat kit. Simple instructions. Add the goo...try to inflate tire...never goes about 16 psi...turn off pump...can hear air escaping. Goop everywhere. Tire quickly goes flat. Inflate again...nada. I can see where the goop is pouring out...I can feel the air...cant see the hole, but feels like a slit more than hole. No nail or anything. Oh well.

Called roadside assistance mostly to have the issue known...will likely see if the local dealer can take care of it in the morning...not sure if the dealership, who won't be open for some time, has any tires available to match mine.

Roadside assistance wanted to tow to the closest fiat dealership...quoted me Oklahoma...I talked them into 2.7 miles to the future dealership vs 600 to Oklahoma :)

I have other rides, so really not a big deal at all...

But it has convinced me to get the spare kit...

Gavin

Ps.. That goop is hella hard to get off your driveway...if fixing a flat at home, take the car out to the curb.

Re: PE Spare Tire

Giallo Edizione
The goop will ruin the TPM and render the tire useless for use other that to get home ( in some professionals opinion). And the goop sticks to the inside of the wheel and can negatively affect balance. My advice to anyone getting a flat without a spare is call roadside assistance, or AAA etc. and have them fix the tire on the fly or take the car to a repair shop. Don't use the goop unless you are truly stranded. And as Gavin points out, its only good for very minor punctures. JMHO.

Everyone should spring for the $100 and get the spare tire kit as soon as its available. Everyone ordering a car should option it in. Cheap peace of mind. I still recommend calling roadside assistance though. Changing a tire on the side of the road, or even off the road, with a flimsy jack is dirty and dangerous business.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: PE Spare Tire

jamesday24
Instead of buying the small spare, I'm just going to buy a spare regular 16" PE Sport wheel and tire to keep in the garage.  It won't help if I get a flat away from home, but I will call roadside assistant or have my girlfriend bring it to me depending on where I am.  My MINI has a small spare and I've never used it in seven years.
Bianco Prima Edizione 345 from Fields FIAT

Re: PE Spare Tire

SpidArman
Hmmm, my dealer has let me know that the cost of all the brackets, bolts, winch and wheel will be running me $258 (not including the spare tire 185/55-15). There is no "kit" for all the pieces from Fiat.   So I will look to using my spare tire from my Fiat Strada and putting on a 185/70-13 tire.  Geez.  It's a good thing I kept the Strada.  I will just keep it deflated and in my trunk area for when I need it.
Prima Edizone #419 Rosso/Sunroof/EB Heater

Re: PE Spare Tire

Thad
Can somebody please post the part number for the spare tire kit? Does it come with a jack and lug wrench?

Re: PE Spare Tire

Mike S
Maybe the snowboard mount can be adapted to hold the spare or mount it to the roof or the hood.

Re: PE Spare Tire

SeaDawg
Mike S wrote
Maybe the snowboard mount can be adapted to hold the spare or mount it to the roof or the hood.
I can't help but picture a Mocha Latte Cinquecento motoring across the Serengeti like a Land Rover with a spare tire bolted to it's hood.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself!

Re: PE Spare Tire

Gavin
Well Fiat is escalating the tire issue...hopefully they ship a tire directly to me or the local dealership (local shop is not ready to open and can't order parts for a while)...

Hopefully will know in a day or so...no biggie...nice scooter weather anyways...doing a 700 mile scooter ride on Thursday and Friday--from Albuquerque pass Show Low, AZ and then down through the Salt River Canyon (one of my favorite rides)...then turn around and spend the night in Show Low...ride out on Friday and tour the Very Large Array before heading home---so if the tire gets here soon enough I can tow the car to the dealership and just leave it there till Friday night or Saturday....would like it up and running by Saturday if possible as I'm going up to the hot springs in Ojo Calente with the wife for the weekend...but if not we can use the wife's car...not a big deal and I totally understand if it takes longer to get my tire (the downside of being an early adopter)...

but really, driving the mountain roads of New Mexico will be much more fun in my 500 than her functional but boring Camry :)

and Hi to the nice Fiat help line representative who says she reads this blog :)  I appreciate all the help.

Gavin

Re: PE Spare Tire

Gavin wrote
[...]

Gavin, what tire do you have a Continental or a Pirelli?  Tire Rack has the Pirellis, the Contis are due in on the 15th.

Tire Rack link