PE Spare Tire

Re: PE Spare Tire

Gavin
Conti's

ContiProContact

Gavin

Re: PE Spare Tire

 If they can't get the tire in time, you should be able to get a tire from Tire Rack (I would guess a flat isn't covered under warranty).  Tire Rack ships fast!

Personally, if there is a hesitation from Fiat, I would order the tire yourself, this way you can make your trip.  If there is a warranty, you can get reimbursed for emergency repair.

Re: PE Spare Tire

Gavin
Actually it seems tires might be covered...surprised me too...will know more tomorrow.

Gavin

Re: PE Spare Tire

Gavin wrote
Actually it seems tires might be covered...surprised me too...will know more tomorrow.

Gavin
Hey, good luck!

Re: PE Spare Tire

Minuszka
Could you share details about it? I already had a nail in my tire and had to patch it. That is of course low cost, but it may or may not hold well. My dealer said, no warranty for this. Please let us know.

Re: PE Spare Tire

Gavin
maybe because it is 300 miles and the "tear" is not pluggable? No nail. No foreign object. Just a long slit in the middle of the tire at tread seam. Strange.

I'm sure everybody says this, but I don't remember running over anything...no country driving, all city. No driving through construction sites. No potholes (a benefit of our "no weather" here in Albuquerque...no salt and minimal snow = few if any potholes....we do get a sinkhole from time to time, but then driving into one of those causes more than a flat tire :)

As for replacement, really not sure yet...was led to believe it might be under warranty, but I could just be overly hopeful...10 days of mild city driving shouldn't lead to catastrophic* tire failure...meant to look at what all the tire warranty covered, and the standard Fiat warranty.

And I could be wrong :)

Fiat supervisor is suppose to call me today, so will know more soon.

Gavin

*not sure what else to call total tire failure...and the word is hella cool.

Re: PE Spare Tire

Gavin
Well tires aren't under warranty unless it is tire defect vs foreign object/abuse...The dealership needs to see and assess the tire to decide if I buy a tire or get a new tire free...

Not really an issue with me either way....just want a tire and the car up and running again :)

I hate to have the whole car towed too many times, so will just remove the tire at home with my wife's jack and then run the tire over to the dealership. I assume my wife's jack will work...

Gavin

Re: PE Spare Tire

prima 109
It might be covered under workmanship warranty if indeed it is spilt at the seam and they (dealer) can prove that.  Not douhting you at all, just saying that sometimes things like this can have multiple outcomes.  good luck.
Craig #109 Rosso with sunroof/post assembly block heater.

Re: PE Spare Tire

cogtooth
Several cars I've bought came with a tire warranty separate from the car warranty, given out with all the other paperwork.
Bianco Perla Sport

Re: PE Spare Tire

Gavin
ok...so long story....

but short version...I'm an idiot. Dealership is nice.

longer version. Check Tire light came on. Checked tire. Tire Flat. Tried to use goo to fix tire. Goo did not seal hole. Goo goes everywhere. I can feel air coming from middle of tire near where tread meets tire. Air feels to be a longish slit, but I can't see, only feel air. Car gets towed to dealership (Melloy Dodge...very nice gentleman named James in Service). Tire being shipped to Albuquerque from Phoenix. Coming Thursday or Friday.

In the meantime James pulls the tire and washes out the goop to get a look at hole. Hole is a nice round nail hole, but no nail. He calls me..."Did you pull a nail out of the tire?" " Nope" "Well it seems to be just a standard nail hole. Do you want to wait for the new tire or just have us plug the hole?" "Plug is fine with me." "OK".

So not a slit, not a tire failure...just a nail that didn't lodge in tire. Goop would have worked fine if the nail had not come out.

So car back on road. Spare tire kit will be ordered as soon as we figure out the details of who will install it. In the meantime I plan to hit the junk yard and find a donut tire that fits (4 by 98 right?) and keep it in the garage.

James was great...didn't charge me anything for the service or time...

Hopefully I avoid nails from now on.

Gavin

Re: PE Spare Tire

Alvon Elrod
Ugh. . . .

That doen't give me much confidence in the tire Goop think that's under my seat.  It's great having the little compressor.  Nice touch.  But I really need the spare tire, jack, tools.  I'm not agreeing with Fiat's decision to omit these from production cars unless purchased as an option . . . and quite annoyed that it was left of the Prima's, especially with the price premium that we paid for them.

My dealer has no idea how to go about getting me the spare.  One of the posts here suggested that the price will be several hundred $$ to add these items.  I wish Fiat would offer to refit these cars with spares on their nickel.

Alvon
Alvon Elrod, #18 White, no sunroof
1970 Fiat 124 spider

Re: PE Spare Tire

Mike S
Will the 4 x 98 wheels from our other Fiats work. There must be something we can use while we wait.

Re: PE Spare Tire

Giallo Edizione
Mike S wrote
Will the 4 x 98 wheels from our other Fiats work. There must be something we can use while we wait.
If you can find a 4x100 15 or 16" donut spare from some other vehicle ( check Chevy Cobalt for example-thats what I used for my MINI with 4x100 wheels) and get some wobble bolts it should work in a pinch. I got my Cobalt spare out of a junk yard for $50. Offset is a slight risk but our brakes aren't that big. I suppose the offset of the 500 could be researched against other makes to find same offset to ID the perfect match. Its a spare, it doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to get you home or to the shop.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: PE Spare Tire

navy48
tires are covered by tire manufacturer.  if you have a tire issue, you must take it to a tire dealer that sells and services that particular brand of tire.  if you have an issue and they can't, or God forbid WON'T, help you, then you should contact your local FIAT Studio for assistance.

just curious, does anyone know the exact size of the 'compact spare' that supplied as part of the "Safety and Convenience Package" on the Sport?
"O'Brien Fiat of Greenwood is MY FIAT Studio of choice!!!"

Re: PE Spare Tire

navy48
I would order a 15" steel wheel for a Pop and get a tire that is comparable in size to the "compact spare" that comes with package offered on the Sport.  the steel wheels for the Pop ARE available and since they are 15"s, you shouldn't have a problem finding a tire to fit for a spare.   the part number for the steel wheel is 4726135AA with a List Price of $66.10.  just a thought........
"O'Brien Fiat of Greenwood is MY FIAT Studio of choice!!!"

Re: PE Spare Tire

George #409
Having talked with several dealers, I have found out that the cost to add the spare tire by buying all the parts that you need one by one over the counter adds up to around $500 give or take some change.  I have also found out by talking to some dealers that Fiat is working on a package price for a spare tire kit that will include everything that you need to add the spare tire to your car for a much reduced price compared to the piece meal approach of buying each part separately.

I personally have contacted Laurie at the Fiat customer service center to explain to her my position on the spare tire in regards to the Fiat 500 Prima Edizione owners.  I told Laurie that the people who reserved the Fiat 500 were not given the option to order a spare tire nor did Fiat decide to include the spare tire with the Prima Edizione package.  To many people, the spare tire is very important and I personally feel that Fiat should allow the current owners of the Prima Edizione models the chance to buy a spare tire from their Fiat studio for $100 which is the same price that they would have paid if they would have orderd the spare tire as an option with their car.  To me this is only fair since the spare tire was not offered originally as an option on the Prima Edizione cars and Fiat didn't include them with the cars on their own.

I would encourage everyone who really values the spare tire as an option for their Prima Edizione car to contact Laurie at extension 800-8013 and make sure that Fiat knows that you really feel that having a spare tire is very important to you and you should have had that oportunity to order it with your car.  The more people who come forward and request that Fiat offer the spare tire to the Prima Edizione owners for $100 like the regular Fiat 500 owners have the option to pay for their spare tire when they ordered their car, the more likely it will be that Fiat will do something about it.  Chris is also looking for feedback from people to share with Fiat.  This would be a great oportunity to let Chris know that you want a spare tire as well for a fair price.

Fiat has done a good job with the Fiat 500 for the most part.  The test of a good manufacturer is how they stand behind their products and do the right thing on behalf of their customers.  I have faith that Fiat will do the right thing, but we have to do our part to let them know how we feel or they will not be able to help us out.

Re: PE Spare Tire

George #409 wrote
[...]

Good idea. I will mention this.

I would be careful what wheel/tire size to get.  The factory size spare (in Europe) is:

Wheel: 4.00Bx14 ET43
Tire: 135x80 R14 84P

If you must get a wheel, you can get a 13" steel wheel from a Fiat 128-Yugo from Midwest Bayless. You'll have to deal with stowing the spare and the height will be wrong.

I am going to wait to see what happens.

Re: PE Spare Tire

SpidArman
Iwould caution going out and getting a 13" wheel.  Someone needs to confirm that a 13 or 14" wheel will clear the calipers.

Arman
Prima Edizone #419 Rosso/Sunroof/EB Heater

Re: PE Spare Tire

allen

Re: PE Spare Tire

allen
I had a flat in my front right tire 2 nights ago on the way home from work at 1a.m. I had hit several severe pot holes and I knew it was more than a small nail.  I tried the inflator and goop to no avail.  Here in Vermont Fiat dealerships are rarer than flying pigs and so I called my friendly roadside assistant on bluetooth.  Their suggestion, which they would pay for, was to have my car towed to Portland, Maine to have the tire fixed, that's about a 4 hour trip.

 Then I called AAA who offered to have me towed to the garage of my choice.  This sounded good until the local law enforcement officer showed up and informed me that AAA calls at night in this neighborhood take at least 3 hours to respond, and that I should let the trooper arrange for towing, which I did.  By the time I rode to my local repair shop with the tow truck it's 3:30 am and I am charged $150 cash.   My mechanic is a fiat fan and shopped around for a similar tire, I should have it Tuesday.  I called my dealer in Portland Maine to seek out a spare tire for future use.  He and the other three dealers within 300 miles all said such a part was not available.  Then I called a dealer in Montreal, Quebec (Canada) who said "no problem, we can get that in a week.  Do you want to pick it up?".  I was delighted.  I intend to coerce Fiat to let me have all my service in Montreal as they are closest and clearly superior in service.
One last remark.  My mechanic is happy to have the car in his lot, draws a lot of attention and comments.  I love the car, but will want to let Fiat know that it gets a lot of negative attention when people learn of a car with no spare tire and an ineffective roadside warranty program.  I am going to lobby Fiat to make spares available on request as this kind of story is the last thing a company needs when trying to establish a good reputation.

123