Real World Mileage Thread

spindoc
Please post what kind of mileage you're getting (along with any relevant details) here.

I'll get the ball rolling.  My first fill-up was 30.6 mpg, combined city and highway.  On the second tank I'm averaging 33.2, driving in town only.

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

RacerRon
33 mpg is pretty good for around-town driving. Is that careful (short-shifting) or brisk driving?

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

ciddyguy
RacerRon wrote
33 mpg is pretty good for around-town driving. Is that careful (short-shifting) or brisk driving?
If that's anywhere near accurate, that's very good for city driving indeed.

I would be curious to know if it's brisk driving or not myself.

I drive the old truck rather briskly both in town and on the highway so that's not helping my mileage AT ALL but boy is it a fun way to drive though! LOL.

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

spindoc
RacerRon wrote
33 mpg is pretty good for around-town driving. Is that careful (short-shifting) or brisk driving?
No short shifting.  Just my regular driving, including passing, etc. - this car encourages "briskness".

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

Gavin
Sport mode or non sport mode?

Gavin

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

unclelaverne
So far a mix of highway, stop and go 405 freeway and around town for a total of around 150 miles I have put on it.  The average says 38.6  Non sport mode, brisk driving the first day (35 ish miles cuz I couldn't help myself) and gentle driving the rest.
#315 So Cal

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

spindoc
Gavin wrote
Sport mode or non sport mode?
Sport!  Was in non-sport on the Interstate when I first picked up the car, sport since.

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

Gavin
Nice....not sure mine will ever be out of sport mode :)

Gavin

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

sam500
Just got 46 Average MPG on the 5 South, for 40 miles @ 75MPH!

One thing about being out of sport mode is the steering is super easy. This is a very easy car to drive if you want to be lazy;)

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

spindoc wrote
Please post what kind of mileage you're getting (along with any relevant details) here.

I'll get the ball rolling.  My first fill-up was 30.6 mpg, combined city and highway.  On the second tank I'm averaging 33.2, driving in town only.
Let's make this a sticky!

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

Jim McKenzie
Laura Soave indicated in her interview for Fader Fort that some PE owners were reporting an average 40-45 miles per gallon.  She of course did not indicate that the "official" EPA numbers were wrong, or even imply it, but I inferred that we may do far better than what's on the sticker.

I love the idea of posting mileage, and am especially curious as to how th automatic does once it hits the roads.
1973 Fiat 850 Sport Spider
1977 Fiat X1/9

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

ciddyguy
Jim McKenzie wrote
Laura Soave indicated in her interview for Fader Fort that some PE owners were reporting an average 40-45 miles per gallon.  She of course did not indicate that the "official" EPA numbers were wrong, or even imply it, but I inferred that we may do far better than what's on the sticker.

I love the idea of posting mileage, and am especially curious as to how th automatic does once it hits the roads.
Jim,

you bring up a very good point and from all the literature about mileage and the speculation of what the US car gets, based on converting the Euro specs to the US measurement has ALWAYS been roughly 5-10 Gal's less than what they get in Europe due to our gallon measurement. Since the UK uses imperial gallon which is larger, they WILL get higher mileage numbers due to the amount of gas their tanks can hold, we on the other hand, have to make do with a slightly smaller gallon measurement and that ALWAYS gives us lower numbers for the SAME car so if some are getting low to mid 40's on the highway here with a US spec car without hypermiling, then that's even better.

But by the same token, we GET a bit larger tank so our capacity is roughly the same so that SHOULD even things out somewhat. But the reason for the bit larger tank was the long distance driving we tend to do, ie, going across country where gas stations are widely spread apart.

I'm guessing roughly 350 miles of strictly freeway driving on a tank to be the min we should expect, even with a small 10.5 Gal tank.

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

italophile
My current daily driver was originally rated 20/29.  When the EPA revised their test a few years back, the official MPG of my car dropped to 17/27.  I average about 24 commuting (I don't do a lot of true stop-and-go city driving, however) and 31 on the road, and I've seen as high as 33.  Historically, every car I've ever owned has done at least 10% better than the OLD figures, which were supposedly unrealistic and unattainable.  I don't know what kind of abuse you have to lay on a car to get down to the new numbers.

That being the case, I'm expecting the highway mileage of my 500 to be at least 40 MPG, and 45 wouldn't surprise me one bit, especially since some owners have already achieved it.  I have the feeling we're all going to feel pretty smug about our purchase starting about Memorial Day.

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

spindoc
OK, on my second tank I got 35.5 mpg - it was about 2/3 in town and 1/3 highway.

After filling up, I got on the Interstate and set the cruise control to 70 mph (no elevation change to speak of).  For 51 miles of travel, my mileage was 41.2 mpg!

The next day I did a track event (which I'll write about in a different thread), so of course my mileage went way down.  However, in previous cars my on-track mileage has been about 9 mpg, whereas with the 500 it was 16.9!

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

Flyer
I picked up #353 Evening of Mar17th 2011 which happens to be my 5th anniversary.

I'm living in mid-michigan and Mar 18th, I had business meeting in cincinnati ohio. so, in short, I drove about 850 miles from 48 hours of delivery.

until reached 635 miles(about 1000km) on the odo, I didn't push rev. over 3500 rpm for smooth bed-in.

from first fill up of the gas (golling fiat filled with costco's 87 gas) I got about 375 miles (mostly on high way drive of I-75 & Us-23)out of 9.75 gallons. 2nd fill up by me at speedway gas station with 91 ocatne gas, I got 350 miles out of 9.55 gallon. (After passing 635 miles on the odometer, I pushed up to 4000rpm. nicely speed up just north of 3 digit speed...)

I plan to change oil at about 1K miles with mobile 1 5W-30 full synthetic. from my experiences, at about 2500 miles at on, I could get 'real' steady gas mileage.
Prima #353; First Delivery in Michigan Mar 17, 2011. Rosso without Roof.

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

Springer2011
If you want to see the EPA dyno charts that they use for city and highway mileage see the two links below. For City mileage there are 18 acceleration/deceleration cycles for an average speed of about 20mph. This is why when you drive the speed limit and have a smooth speed curve you get much better mileage than the EPA test results.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Uddsdds.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hwfetdds.gif

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

sonicsby5
Last weekend on a trip from Seattle to Tofino, British Columbia we averaged 37 MPG.  I was impressed, I have a bit of a lead foot.  So far I love this little car!
#215 - First 500 Delivery in Washington

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

Alvon Elrod
#18 checking in here. . . .
Just returned home after 775 mile trip from Ventura, CA to Las Vegas for the weekend, and back to Ventura.  On the way to Vegas, I had the cruise set at 80 mph, and averaged just over 36.2 mpg.  While in Vegas, we did a lot of stopping at very lengthy red lights on the strip, and a lot of other start and stopping, and test drives for several friends and relatives, and lots more gawking at things in Vegas, and barely averaged 30 mpg for most that.  For the trip home, the cruise was set at 70 mph, but we got held up in the usual slow down from Vegas to LA traffic several times, where we crawled along at 5 - 20 mph for a few miles before the traffic opened back up again.  The trip meter showed 39.5 mpg when I arrived at home at a fuel station.  We filled it up and the real calculation came to 39.1 mpg for the 320 miles home.  The average for the whole combined trip was 36.0 mpg.

I had the ECO drive monitor plugged into the USB port for the whole trip, so it will be interesting to see how it analyzes our driving patterns.

You can really great mpg if you work at it.  I reset the trip meter after filling up when I got home, then we drove around for a few erands for about 10 miles of round trip driving.  The Ave mpg is reading 43.5 mpg for that little segment, which included a lot of starting and stopping (but the car was already warm, of course).
Alvon Elrod, #18 White, no sunroof
1970 Fiat 124 spider

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

Giallo Edizione
Just filled my tank for the first time. Avg mpg was 33.6.  Driving was probably 70% local and 40mph stuff and the rest was highway, mostly to and from the dealer a couple of times. Not too shabby for first tank and local driving. it had been coming up pretty fast since brand new and settled in at that mark for about the last 50-75 miles. Had those last two little bars remaining on the gas guage and the fill was 8.9 gal.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)
12345