Real World Mileage Thread

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

Giallo Edizione
Just refilled my tank for the first time. Avg mpg was 33.6.  Driving was probably 70% local and 40mph stuff and the rest was highway, mostly to and from the dealer a couple of times. Not too shabby for first tank and local driving. it had been coming up pretty fast since brand new and settled in at that mark for about the last 50-75 miles. Had those last two little bars remaining on the gas guage and the fill was 8.9 gal.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

Mike S
I had 2 bars left and the fill was 9.5 gal. My mileage  (if the tank was full from the dealer) was 26.25 almost all city and at idle showing the car.

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

FiatGal
Liking this thread.

(I just had to hijack it for a sec: Alvon, Ventura? I used to live there! Say "hi" to Two Trees for me!)

Can the Eco drive info be analyzed on a Mac?

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

Alvon Elrod
Will do, I do hike up there now and then for the fantastic view!

Alvon Elrod, #18 White, no sunroof
1970 Fiat 124 spider

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

Minuszka
I have a Mac too and downloaded the software, but can't get the data from the USB stick. My dealer told me today that it maybe since the site is for the UK version. He is checking with the regional Fiat rep. I have well over 5 days worth of data on the USB, but when the eco:Drive is on and I insert the stick it still says I need to collect 5 more days of data.

Refilled last night and reset before leaving for work this morning. My ride is about 10 miles, two traffic lights, 7 intersection stops, and a stopoff at Starbucks, generally 40-45mph, flats and light hills. Reading at end was 37.6 mpg ( 330 miles on odo). Can't complain if that is going to be the typical mileage for my commute. (I am blessed with the world's best commute).
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

When I was talking in private to the engineers at Fiat/Chrysler, they mentioned that this engine gets better gas mileage than the European version. I'm trying to get some charts from them...

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

SeaDawg
Fiat500USA wrote
When I was talking in private to the engineers at Fiat/Chrysler, they mentioned that this engine gets better gas mileage than the European version. I'm trying to get some charts from them...
Chris, I'm curious.  If you get the opportunity to talk with them again would you ask them about the decision to not fill with synthetic oil and why the really short oil changes for the US as opposed to the 1 year/18,000 mile changes for the European versions?  The easy answer is, of course, that we don't get synthetic oil in ours, I suppose.  My feeling is that driving conditions would be more likely to dictate shorter change mileage/time interval in Europe than the US.

But wouldn't those of us that believe in the merits of synthetic oil be penalized by having to change it 'before its time' in order to maintain the warranty?  Based on the US Owner's Manual.

Thanks!

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

Fiat500USA wrote
When I was talking in private to the engineers at Fiat/Chrysler, they mentioned that this engine gets better gas mileage than the European version. I'm trying to get some charts from them...
I would venture to guess it's because we actually get the MultiAir version of this motor whereas the Euro version of the 500 gets the standard 16V version of the same motor and for the longest time, I thought BOTH had the Multiair. :-)

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

Thad
I'm getting about 34Mpg. But my average speed is only about 26mph.

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

SeaDawg
ciddyguy wrote
I would venture to guess it's because we actually get the MultiAir version of this motor whereas the Euro version of the 500 gets the standard 16V version of the same motor and for the longest time, I thought BOTH had the Multiair. :-)
OH, I was also under the impression that the European 1.4 Liter 100 HP had Multiair.  Well, MAYBE, in that case, 'never mind'.

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

ciddyguy
SeaDawg wrote
ciddyguy wrote
Just to throw this out there the MultiAir motor we have was culled from the new Alfa Romeo Mito where it debuted when introduced in 2009.

[...]

The engineers were quite proud that they didn't require synthetic oil for the engine. MultiAir technology doesn't specify expensive or special oil with certain additives. Anyone who has a German car will know the pain it is to get the correct oil with the required oil spec.

There is a viscosity sensor on the engine that makes sure the oil is ready to do its job for MultiAir function.  If not, it acts more like a conventional valve train. You can use synthetic, which many will do, but it is not required.

The 8,000 mile changes are in line with many cars that have Synthetic oils here in the US.  It's not the extreme oil change intervals like in Europe, but there is also a difference in gasoline and sulfur content here.

After the free maintenance is over, you can go to longer intervals, which I think, is close to the end of the warranty, anyway. But, 18,000 miles to me at least, might be pushing it (depending on driving conditions).

Your question is interesting, so I wrote it down and will ask them when I see them. Hopefully in the next month or so.

[...]

The MB 300C 2.5 liter V6 that I leased a few years ago, came with Mobil 1 in it, and had 13,000 or 1 year change intervals.  The onboard computer tracked miles as well as time.  It never used a drop of oil.  What an automobile (6 Spd Manual)!!!

I was really hoping we'd get the 6 speed manual with the 1.4 but gather from reading, that structural reinforcments eliminated it from consideration.  I'm hoping the Italian will be at least as much fun as the German was.  Not as fast but equal amount of FUN!

I agree, 18,000 mi is too long for me too, although I figure Fiat knows more about their engine than I do...I like the 13,000 mi or 1 year change interval though having used it before.  But Amsoil makes an Extended Life synthetic that is designed for 10,000 mi or 6 month changes which is probably what I'll switch to.  There's one more year of warranty left after the free maintenance ends.  By that time, I'll have a good feel whether to stay with the 6 months or extend it to 1 year/13,000 mi with the Amsoil 100% Synthetic (good for 25,000 miles or 1 year).  I probably won't have 25,000 miles on the car by the time the warranty ends.

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

FiatLancia
Odometer just turned 1,000 miles this past week, so as soon as it did, I pulled into a gas station for a fill-up to check the numbers. I'm kind of a mileage nut - I actually have full records for all of my cars. Every gallon of gas, every car. So I can definitely contribute hard numbers to the "real-world mileage" thread.

I was with a group of friends when picking up the car (caravanning to lunch, then to another city to spend the night, etc.), so couldn't fill up until the next morning at around 103 miles (19 were pre-delivery).

First tank: Mostly highway with some city and suburban, plus "errand/commuter" miles.
Trip computer estimated 43.0mpg at average speed 45mph.
Odometer reading 509. Trip 405.0mi. 9.5gal 89-octane.  Calculated 42.63mpg.

Second tank: Mixed suburban/errands.
Trip computer estimated 40.2mpg at average speed 30mph.
Odometer reading 835. Trip 326.6mi. 8.5gal 89-octane. Calculated 38.42mpg.

Third tank: Mixed suburban/errands.
Trip computer estimated 40.2mpg at average speed 27mph.
Odometer reading 1001. Trip 165.5mi. 4.0gal 89-octane. Calculated 41.38mpg.

So over the first 898 measured miles, 22 gallons of fuel were used, for an average of 40.82 overall. The trip "B" computer for that period estimated 41.4mpg overall.

It's "normal" driving, to me. Not winning stoplight races, but not being passed by old ladies in Buicks either. Not skip-shifting, shutting car off to coast down hills or at lights, etc.  Since I work from home, most use of the car is just running errands - taking my daughter to/from classes, going out for lunch/dinner, picking stuff up at stores, etc. Definitely having fun while driving it, too!

Hope this information is of some help/use to others here.

Shaun Folkerts
Prima #11
www.FiatLancia.com
Shaun Folkerts

2012 Fiat 500 Prima Edizione #11

MINIER than MINI, SMARTER than SMART

www.FiatLancia.com/store.html

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

FiatGal
This post was updated on .
Great numbers. Very thorough. Thanks!

I have to ask, given I read this in another thread, what is "skip-shifting"? Is it skipping a gear while shifting? I do that sometimes when I downshift. Is that not good? I have a feeling I'm going to learn a thing or two about proper car care reading this forum!

(and btw, nice Déesse!!)

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

sjmst
34 mpg. My 2002 bmw 330ci with automatic was getting 24 doing the same kind of driving, so I am hoping for a bit better once broken in.

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

FiatLancia
FiatGal wrote
Great numbers. Very thorough. Thanks!

I have to ask, given I read this in another thread, what is "skip-shifting"? Is it skipping a gear while shifting? I do that sometimes when I downshift. Is that not good? I have a feeling I'm going to learn a thing or two about proper car care reading this forum!

(and btw, nice Déesse!!)
Thanks, FiatGal. Skipping shifts is basically a way to get to the highest gear faster. It's not necessarily harmful if done properly, but it could "bog" the engine a bit if not done properly. It's one of many hypermiling techniques out there (Google "hypermiling" and you'll find all sorts of crazy ideas intended to save a fraction of an MPG). What I love best about the 500 concerning mileage is that it's a near-perfect balance between fun and economy. Best of both worlds!

Shaun
Shaun Folkerts

2012 Fiat 500 Prima Edizione #11

MINIER than MINI, SMARTER than SMART

www.FiatLancia.com/store.html

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

CaliberSRT4
FiatGal wrote
Great numbers. Very thorough. Thanks!

I have to ask, given I read this in another thread, what is "skip-shifting"? Is it skipping a gear while shifting? I do that sometimes when I downshift. Is that not good? I have a feeling I'm going to learn a thing or two about proper car care reading this forum!

(and btw, nice Déesse!!)
With downshifting it is normal to drop a few gears. I often downshift from 6th to 3rd in my car when making a pass. It's not really bad, but you should rev-match to make it smoother when really dropping down so the car doesn't lurch so much.

The skip-shifting refers to upshifting, and is done to maximize fuel economy. Some cars actually do this automatically. If you are accelerating lightly in a Viper in 1st gear (like leaving a routine stoplight) and go to shift into 2nd, the computer gear selector will actually put the car into 4th gear.

Re: Real World Mileage Thread

spindoc
Last fill-up mileage was 34.2 on premium gas, in town (suburban) only, with one autocross thrown in - Sport mode, 5-speed.  Decided to try regular gas for this fill-up, will see if the mileage (and performance) around town is any different.
12345