Picked up my PE and some tips for all.

5*(10)^2

Hey all,

Finally picked up my PE from MVLA today. It was here since a week ago but due a busy work schedule, I only had time to arrange a delivery today. Just posted this one picture since sam500 did such a good job with his pics.

I hope to pass on some tips to all those who are waiting for their PEs. I am quite a grease monkey myself. So I brought rubber gloves, rags, flashlight etc. Reason is to go through my check list of things. I do this for every car I buy. It's habitual.

1. Before you sign anything, have them wash the car and bring it to a place where you can see the car up close.

2. Inspect thoroughly for blemishes. I found a deep scratch on the front hood, residual protective film (the car came in a film. the porters didn't do a good job of removing all of them), a slightly worn luggage truck cover, a scratch up stripe on driver's front and a "hole" on stripe for passenger's front.

3. Check engine oil level/coolant level/brake fluid level. Mine are all ok.

4. Look for paint chips or blemishes on painted brake calipers. Mine are ok. Though I heard one PE owner later complained that there were paint chips on the calipers.

5. Make sure you bring a CD or MP3 player. Plug them in to test the stereo. Mine ok.

6. Check A/C, all forward/reverse gears, sunroof (if you order one), turn signals, fold down seats, door locks etc...

And the list goes on. Tedious but worth it.

Often times, they want to rush you to sign the papers all that. But you have to make sure you spend time checking for anything unusual. Cos once you drive off and later found a ding somewhere, the dealer probably won't buy your claim.

I am scheduled to return to get the blemishes fixed. Just a little disappointed with the quality.

On a happier note, we did get thumbs up from folks on the road. I grew to like the clutch a little more. Was struggling before trying to find the 'bite'. This is a little bugger that is fun to drive, nimble, quick and versatile.

Thanks for reading!

Re: Picked up my PE and some tips for all.

Mike S
Thank you for the update and suggestions.

Re: This might be old news to some...

Bert
The owner's manual can be downloaded as an app for the Droid at least.

It has all the usual info one expects to find...
Bert
PE#480
'78 124 Spider
FEN, Seattle

Re: This might be old news to some...

Jeff
Looks great!
Prima #446 Bianco

Re: This might be old news to some...

sjmst
Jeff wrote
Looks great!
+1!

Re: This might be old news to some...

Gavin
Very very nice...congrats

Gavin

Re: This might be old news to some...

Bert wrote
The owner's manual can be downloaded as an app for the Droid at least.

It has all the usual info one expects to find...
Bert,

The owner's manual for the smart phones isn't the full manual, just a supplement for it and it IS available for the droid, the Blackberry and the iPhone, I have it for my Blackberry.

Re: Picked up my PE and some tips for all.

Congratulations 5*(10)^2!

Thanks for posting those tips !

Re: Picked up my PE and some tips for all.

5*(10)^2
Thanks all for the replies!

So I received a msg yesterday that they have ordered the replacement parts. Will see how things turn out.

But for now, I will post pics of the blemishes. If you have a weak stomach, I suggest that you close the browser...yikes...

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
here goes:

This is actually a deep scratch.

Imperfections in stripes.

Protective film not removed thoroughly. Poor PDI.

So today I examined the car again and I realized that part of the black paint on the rear spoiler has faded. Probably from poor painting quality control. And my gear shift knob has a scratch (not from me, no ring on my right hand). Not posting pics of those. Sigh.

Anyway, I am going out driving. Least to take my mind off these issues.

Thanks for reading!

Re: Picked up my PE and some tips for all.

PE#454
So...how does a PE owner resolve those issues? Live with them? Is this a WYSIWYG deal?

Re: Picked up my PE and some tips for all.

unclelaverne
I have to say I am shocked after the mess they went thru with me that they would deliver YET ANOTHER car that's got damage.

Mine is back at their body shop now and will be for 5 days while they try to fix the bumper.  I was told there are no parts so they can't repair my pillar, e brake, key and side marker?  If you got some parts ordered, good for you.  I couldn't get that accomplished.

#315 So Cal

Re: Picked up my PE and some tips for all.

Welshy
Sorry to hear (and see the problems), I hope they get them all resolved for you.
We picked our PE #408 up from the OC Fiat Dealer on Harbor Blvd CA, yesterday and as we went thoroughly through the Pre-Inspection Delivery List, there were a number of little problems. Our list goes like this:
- Blue and Me did not work.
- Hood was out of alignment (poor quality control on Fiat's side)
- Front bumper/spoiler is slightly a different color (as designer I have a good eye). The car is white whilst the front bumper/spoiler is off white (near cream). I know this could be to do with paint finish to metal v plastic, so would be interesting to find out other peoples feelings.
- Odometer won't stop flashing
- Can't get the Media/USB iPod connector to work

We made sure our sales person and Studio manager, were both verbally informed and that all defects noted on the PDI document (I also photographed the paperwork, just in case) before we signed off on the car and drove it off the lot (I'm a perfectionist, so leaving knowing there were things wrong on the car was hard thing to do). Got home, emailed and called the Dealer who has asked us to bring the car back in next week. I'll let you know how I get on.

Re: Picked up my PE and some tips for all.

CaliberSRT4
Welshy wrote
- Front bumper/spoiler is slightly a different color (as designer I have a good eye). The car is white whilst the front bumper/spoiler is off white (near cream). I know this could be to do with paint finish to metal v plastic, so would be interesting to find out other peoples feelings.
As you theorized, it is because of the different material properties of sheet metal and plastic. The paint is in fact an exact match. The situation is not unique to the Fiat 500 and is perfectly normal.

This is an example of what you should be seeing. Notice the difference across the hood line between the sheet metal bodywork and the plastic bumper cover (front fascia).

Re: Picked up my PE and some tips for all.

Welshy
Thank you. Really appreciate your feedback.
Got to say I have never had so many favorable glances, and thumbs up from passers by and other drivers. This car makes you smile....
I've been an Audi owner for over seven years (Audi TT/ Audi Allroad 4.2), and they never made me feel the way this car does........totally content !!!
Cheers again

PE#408 Nickname: Alfredo

Re: Picked up my PE and some tips for all.

5*(10)^2
@PE#454: Take pictures of the defects before you sign/take delivery/pay for the car. And point those defects out to the dealer. Make sure they note down all the issues and have the parts manager order the replacement if possible, or service manager set up an appt for a return. I have  signed copy of the defects.

@unclelaverne: We heard of your incident. Believe it or not, MVLA didn't like to hear about it. Some PE owners would rather not have the car washed when delivered. I gave a proper and very upfront warning to MVLA to take care of my car when they washed it. It's easier to spot the defects when the car has been washed.

@Welshy:  Thanks for your feedback. By right, the dealer is supposed to fix any flaws during the PDI. I have taken delivery of a plethora of other marquees including of course German and Japanese cars. I understand a car may be damaged during transportation but it's up to the dealer to fix those things during PDI. We paid for a brand new car not a brand new car that may have some defects.

Re: Picked up my PE and some tips for all.

5*(10)^2
Just found another defect. Paint on my bumper is flaking off. Yep. Called customer service. They are escalating the issue. We will see.

Re: Picked up my PE and some tips for all.

Minuszka
Can you show a picture, how it looks? - sorry to hear about it.

Re: Picked up my PE and some tips for all.

5*(10)^2
Hey Minuszka,

It's about the size of a penny and I reckon it may grow. Basically, there is a problem with paint adhesion or that they didn't cure the paint well enough. I can see that the bumper is originally primed in black.  With the rain coming down hard, I really hope I will still be driving a car with a red bumper.

I will post pictures once I receive some answers from Fiat and the dealership.

Thanks for your concern. I will keep all posted.

Re: Picked up my PE and some tips for all.

5*(10)^2
My concern reached Ms. Soave. She replied this morning and I received a call from Josh right way.

The ball is rolling. And I am feeling quite optimistic about this.

Re: Picked up my PE and some tips for all.

5*(10)^2
Boy...is the ball rolling fast.

Someone from Chrysler HQ called me. They are very concerned about the situation. My local dealer has been contacted.

1 notch of confidence level gained.
1234