Laura, do your ears burn....?

Welshy
Dear Laura,

My car (PE#408) was poorly built, was not properly inspected before leaving the factory and the following didn't work (and still doesn't):
- Blue and Me
- USB
- Hood out of alignment
- Poor color match on panels

I'd be interested to hear how many of the PE's actually are fault free (now that would be a limited edition).

Sincerely Welshy
PE#408 Bianco

Re: Laura, do your ears burn....?

Mike S
So far everything I've checked works (have not tried Blue and Me) but USB plays tunes from ipod with steering wheel controls and display. There were no problems with my car (so far).

I did expect a jack, tools and a spare. Everybody I mention that to says "WHAT?" and are as surprised as I was. The price is low enough that they can raise the price and include them before the general public finds out.

The holes to mount the mechanism for the spare tire are already there and covered with silver tape. Should be an easy install.

I wonder If I order the spare tire, the kit includes tools and the mechanism to mount the spare under the car?

Re: Laura, do your ears burn....?

CaliberSRT4
I replied to you in a different thread about the color discrepancy, but you didn't respond. I'll just repost it here.

Welshy wrote
- Front bumper/spoiler is slightly a different color (as designer I have a good eye). The car is white whilst the front bumper/spoiler is off white (near cream). I know this could be to do with paint finish to metal v plastic, so would be interesting to find out other peoples feelings.
As you theorized, it is because of the different material properties of sheet metal and plastic. The paint is in fact an exact match. The situation is not unique to the Fiat 500 and is perfectly normal.

This is an example of what you should be seeing. Notice the difference between the sheet metal bodywork and the plastic bumper cover (front fascia).

The spare is optional. I, too, was surprised by the lack of a spare. I guess that is becoming more common nowadays (a surprising amount of new cars don't come with them). The spare goes underneath and the jack is under the drivers seat. By the way, the spare goes underneath because of all the reinforcements done to the US car.

Re: Laura, do your ears burn....?

RacerRon
I really don't care if the 500 has a spare tire or not. It's been at least 20 years since I have had a flat tire on the road. I still have the orginial spare tire on my '94 Miata (compact spare) and on my '94 truck.

Re: Laura, do your ears burn....?

Welshy
Sorry Caliber,
Thought I had. We also have two Mazda's one of which is white and the paint match is excellent compared to the FIAT. If I'd bought a GT-R for $85k I think I would have expected 100% match....for $20k I can live with it.
Cheers

Re: Laura, do your ears burn....?

sam500
Mine also seems to be doing pretty well. Nothing seems to be out of the ordinary, my blue&me works like it should, no flickering, nothing wrong with the electrical so far (knock on wood). Body wise, it's all there, just a bit of door trim coming unglued (very minor), but they're taking care of that. People at Fiat even called to make sure that everything was okay with the car.

Re: Laura, do your ears burn....?

Doodles
Mine #395  so far seems perfect inside and out.

Re: Laura, do your ears burn....?

JustWilliam
 @Racer Ron-

  Now that I think about, I haven't needed to use a spare in two decades. Wow.

  I can't believe I'm saying this, but between quality modern tires and AAA, maybe I can live without a spare?
“You can safely assume that you've created god in your own image when it turns out that god hates all the same people you do.”

Anne Lamott

Re: Laura, do your ears burn....?

Gavin
Last changed a tire on a car in the 80's...our MGB seemed to love to get flats.

Now my scooters are a slightly different story...no flats on my tubeless large scooter, bit did have three flats on my smaller scooter with inner tubes...one flat was at 55 mph...not fun to have a flat at 55mph on 10" tires....

I don't mind not having a spare as I will be mostly city driving....but if I do get a flat on those time hitting the mountain twisties and I'm miles from the city...while I will be a bit sad:)

Gavin

Knock wood that it doesn't happen.

Re: Laura, do your ears burn....?

5*(10)^2
Welshy,

I'm sure you saw my thread and the problems I am facing now. My advice is for you to write a letter to Laura Soave. I did. Take pictures, print them out and send with the letter. Doesn't mean you have to live with the imperfections for a 20k car.

Keep us posted.

Re: Laura, do your ears burn....?

russV
All it takes is one flat. Then What?  Get a spare!

I'm going to get a spare, too.

Re: Laura, do your ears burn....?

sonicsby5
I'll be getting a spare, too.

I've got a Bianco Prima and yes, terrible color match between the plastic and the metal.  It's pretty obvious to me.  Everything works on my car EXCEPT the USB.  It worked for one trip perfectly with my Ipod, hasn't worked since.

Otherwise I love this little car.
#215 - First 500 Delivery in Washington
sal

Re: Laura, do your ears burn....?

sal
Mine is fault free . It appears to be perfect
I think its the dealer thats supposed to check the cars out
and rectify any problems found.

Re: Laura, do your ears burn....?

5*(10)^2
Production defects are usually found within a close batch. Believe it or not, my number is quite close to yours and Welshy's. But of course please don't take this the wrong way. I want everyone to have a perfect car.

You might have missed my other thread...but when I buy a car, I wear gloves and inspect everything with a flashlight. I will never let the excitement of buying a car overwhelm me. I've received stares from sales, service pple. I really don't care for the red bow or the welcome drinks/food waiting for me in the lobby.

In any case, I recommend that if anyone finds anything unusual, take plenty of pictures, call Ciao Fiat and write to:

Chrysler Group LLC
Attn: Laura Soave, Head of FIAT USA
1000 Chrysler Drive, Dept. 4850049
Auburn Hills, MI 48326

Re: Laura, do your ears burn....?

Welshy
Thanks 5*(10)^2,
Will definitely send photos to Chrysler along with a letter. Had there been another white PE on the lot with a better color match I would have bought that instead. The problem is you're stuck with the number you reserved (and any defect too). It should never have got this far in the first place and both the factory and the Studio should have spotted it.
I know in my design studio, nothing leaves without being checked and double checked - we value our clients too much !!!
I'll let you know if the Chrysler Group do anything.......

Does your USB and Blue&Me still not work?

Re: Laura, do your ears burn....?

Welshy
Nope....it's going in for repair hopefully tomorrow. No call yet though from dealer, to confirm a time. I'll wait till midday and call myself.
Did call Ciao Fiat though and spoke with Customer Service, who will speak to someone else, who will speak to someone....etc. and "escalate" the issues with their project manager regarding the paint issues.
Losing a bit of faith here in FIAT....will give them the benefit of the doubt for a little longer.

Re: Laura, do your ears burn....?

5*(10)^2
Welshy,

I would think that such issues will be escalated to Josh Donnelly. I spoke to him on the phone. Nice chap. A number of pple here received their updates from him as well.

For me at least, "repair" is a not an acceptable word or resolution for a new car if it has issues. You just got a new car and it has to spend time being "diagnosed" and "repaired" is quite a turn off.
12345