Fiat feedback

I'll be seeing some folks from Fiat in the next few days. If there is anything you would like me to tell them about your car, observations or changes you would like to see, send me an email:

chris(at)fiat500usa.com

Include your VIN and you can send pictures.

It's a busy schedule, but I hope to have some time to talk about these things with the appropriate people.

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Fiat feedback

Thad
I want to have the Sport button stay on! I don't want the horn to beep when I lock the doors and I want a spare tire.

Re: Fiat feedback

SeaDawg
Have the FOG lights come on and off automatically with the main low beams IF the FOG light switch is in the ON position.  In other words 'remember' the FOG light position switch so you don't have to remember to turn it on each time you start the car.

Re: Fiat feedback

FiATL
Easy to fix list:

1.  Model with better economy, whether diesel or more efficient gas motor.
2.  Heated seats available with manual transmission from the factory.
3.  Lounge with manual transmission in US.
4.  More fun interior choices w/ Sport.  Red in a Pop but NOT a Sport???
5.  Agreed on the Sport button not defaulting when car shut off.
6.  Opaque sunshade for sunroof.
7.  Lower passenger seat so I could actually order a sunroof.
8.  Marrone manual shift boot to match Marrone steering wheel in Sport 5 speed models (AND as appears on the FIATUSA webpage  )

Ok, not that short of a list but nothing pie in the sky here that I can see
Chris B
Roswell GA
Sport 5 speed.  Verde Oliva w/ Marrone
Ordered: 4/8  Delivered 5/25

Re: Fiat feedback

Short list:
Sun visors with extensions so when turned sideways they keep sun off face.

ummm...and a big THANK YOU and keep 'em coming!

Re: Fiat feedback

kzod
<quote author="FiATL">
Easy to fix list:

1.  Model with better economy, whether diesel or more efficient gas motor.

I'd say this is the biggest beef I have with the car (I bought one anyways though).  If it's going to be this slow I want better fuel economy then other competing cars (given the weight advantage of the 500 that seems reasonable).  Or better yet keep the same fuel economy and make it faster.

VW is doing extremely well with their diesel's, I think Fiat as a new entrant with their european heritage is perfectly placed to become dominant in North America with fuel efficient diesel engines.  Stop playing follow the leader on EV research that won't amount for much in the next 20 years, and be the leader in small fuel efficient cars that drive better and faster than any hybrid could.   They should learn from the Smart car, north Americans won't buy small for small's sake, without a big payoff (i.e. fuel economy, speed, handling).  The smart offers none of those things which is why no one will buy them.

Re: Fiat feedback

Fiat500USA wrote
I'll be seeing some folks from Fiat in the next few days. If there is anything you would like me to tell them about your car, observations or changes you would like to see, send me an email:

chris(at)fiat500usa.com

Include your VIN and you can send pictures.

It's a busy schedule, but I hope to have some time to talk about these things with the appropriate people.

Thanks,
Chris
I know the circumstances behind it, and am aware that Fiat will eventually be bringing over a 9spd TCT transmission, but have that to replace the Aisin unit for those who insist on an automatic for increased fuel economy for the automatic variant of the car

Find a way to bring over the 6spd manual

I like the other ideas already mentioned and...

How about making the skydome (fixed glass roof) an option?

Also, more color choices, at least for seats/arm rests in the Sport, such as red? It's available in the Euro Sport models, so why not here?

A cubby hole near the driver on the dash, just below the left air vent, I think I remember one in the Euro 500 for change or whatever.

More engine options, ie, the TwinAir and/or MultiJet II diesel

A little more power would be nice too, something like 115-120HP (or even just boost it to 105-110HP would help) for the normal car but as has been demonstrated, 101HP seems to be keeping up quite nicely with its competition as is.

Add telescoping function to the steering column for increased adjustability of the driving position.

Make the EVIC display a little less bright, the gauge cluster that surrounds it a bit brighter (more even illumination) for ease of reading at night.

Otherwise, the little Fiat is a fine car as is.

Re: Fiat feedback

Alvon Elrod
Glad to hear that you have an audience, Chris.  Thanks for checking with us for the list.

1)  More interior lighting overhead and for rear seating area, for front footwells
2)  Fiat to come through with a reasonable offer for us to add a spare tire.
3)  Provide a way for us to add the Fiat Nav system to the PE cars
4)  Clock that keeps time
5)  Hood and rear lid closure that scratches the paint (correct the issue)
6)  Some of us have an engine vibration in the 2800 - 3100 range that needs to be identified and dealt with.  So far, my technicians have not made progress to find it -- they've been in contact with Fiat.
7)  Add feature to adjust volume with USB port. Mine is about 10 volume clicks lower when listening to USB than the other sources.
8)  Speed volume feature would be nice.

Presently I'm traveling in Switzerland with my wife and daughter, and we've seen an abundance of differently colored and differently featured 500's.  It's a real treat to see them all over the place.  I'm writing this note in a restaurant in Liechtenstein -- what a kick to be in a country that is almost as small as the 500!  I saw a few of the cars here, as well.

ciao,
Alvon
Alvon Elrod, #18 White, no sunroof
1970 Fiat 124 spider

Re: Fiat feedback

littlejohn
Put the 135HP Engine in the Sport Version, or at least make 135hp it an option?, and 16 inch wheels are fine so one still gets a somewhat comfortable ride on the highway.

Don't need all the other fancy stuff tuner car stuff, 17, 18" wheels, etc, Abarth covers that ground.

How about a retro 128?

Re: Fiat feedback

italophile
1.  Eliminate one touch down power windows, or at least make them an option instead of standard equipment.
2.  Save all settings (like sport mode) when the car is shut off and restarted.
3.  The car could use a few more ponies.  It doesn't need many; even 110 would be good.
4.  More a la carte options, i.e. don't restrict certain options to certain trim levels or packages. Specifically, I would like to see all interior colors made available with all exterior colors, and more interior colors on the Sport.  (I ordered a Pop instead of a Sport mostly because I didn't want a dark interior, and I didn't get my Pop in Giallo, even though it's my favorite paint color, for the same reason.)
5.  Communication channels still need a little work.  Inventories on individual dealer's websites are apparently completely out of their control and Fiat HQ updates them based on the cars that have shipped.  For example, the car I ordered is listed on my studio's inventory even though it was pre-sold and hasn't arrived yet (!).  This is just begging for trouble.

Most importantly, give Fiat a big pat on the back for producing such a great little car at a reasonable price.  The 500 will be the first car I've ever bought new, because it's the first truly affordable new car in my driving lifetime with any kind of style or personality.

Re: Fiat feedback

cogtooth
The main point we all agree on is to give many more options in style and in personal electronic settings.  I personally disagree with many of the posted suggestions, but we should be able to choose anyway.
Bianco Perla Sport

Re: Fiat feedback

Alvon Elrod
Another one that I forgot  ---  I'd really like to get a Shop Manual.

And . . . an open communication source to the Fiat folks responsible for the 500 product.

Alvon
Alvon Elrod, #18 White, no sunroof
1970 Fiat 124 spider

Re: Fiat feedback

Alvon Elrod wrote
... Presently I'm traveling in Switzerland with my wife and daughter, and we've seen an abundance of differently colored and differently featured 500's.  It's a real treat to see them all over the place.  I'm writing this note in a restaurant in Liechtenstein -- what a kick to be in a country that is almost as small as the 500!  I saw a few of the cars here, as well.

ciao,
Alvon
How cool is that! It is a small world...

I've always had a soft spot for Liechtenstein after I did a research paper on the country when I was in 5th grade!

Enjoy your trip!

Chris

Re: Fiat feedback

Hoicho
I only have one comment for Fiat.

Fix the bugs or make some improvement for their order system for ther future 500 owners. I changed my 500's color 5 days after I placed my order when my 500 wasn't at production yet. However my color update didn't get into the factory system, therefor my 500 is coming as my origianl color choice next week.

I am kind of disappointed which I may not getting the color I want the most after waiting for 6 weeks.
I found out the mistake on my own before my 500 arrival, which no one from Fiat had verify the order before the car was released from the factory.

Anyway I am still happy getting my 500 next week after the long wait.
HOicHO
SF Bay Area, CA
Sport Auto
Color unknown
POC - 4/6

Re: Fiat feedback

jamesday24
1. The car should remember the Sport mode setting.
2. Passenger seat with memory as well.
3. Range display that goes to 0, not showing ---- below 30 miles (when you need it most).

Please update the FIAT USA website to show all the options and packages available.
Bianco Prima Edizione 345 from Fields FIAT

Re: Fiat feedback

cogtooth
I still wonder if settings on the 500 can vary, as I could not tell a significant difference in sport mode on my car if a blind test was done.  If so, could this difference be computer generated and dealers will be able to change settings.  My Saab had settings that the dealer never told me about, but participants in forums knew about and suggested making.  I was then able to get the dealer to alter a few things, and maybe someone will figure this out for the 500 in the future.  As for the range, I do like to see the gauge run down to 0, but no car should really run on the last gallon in a tank anyway.
Bianco Perla Sport

Re: Fiat feedback

italophile wrote
1.  Eliminate one touch down power windows, or at least make them an option instead of standard equipment.
Curious. Why? I not only like one touch down, they should add one touch UP.

Re: Fiat feedback

SeaDawg
Second on having the passenger seat behave the same as the driver seat when returning to normal position after being released to allow access to rear seats.

I believe jamesday24 called it same 'memory function' as driver seat

Re: Fiat feedback

sjmst
SeaDawg wrote
Second on having the passenger seat behave the same as the driver seat when returning to normal position after being released to allow access to rear seats.

I believe jamesday24 called it same 'memory function' as driver seat
Second that!

Re: Fiat feedback

cogtooth
Fiat is probably worried that a novice in the front passenger seat would put the seat back and crush a rear passenger, instead of slowly moving it back when seated.
Bianco Perla Sport
1234