Come on Fiat...Abarth NOW!!!

Fidgell
I have a dealer who has taken a deposit to be on a waiting list for the waiting list for the Abarth. I am changing my car in 12 months and am wondering at the lack of recent rumours if the Abarth is EVER coming to our shores! If not then Im going to have to look elsewhere.... Anyone have any insider info??? Thanks

Re: Come on Fiat...Abarth NOW!!!

fidgell wrote
I have a dealer who has taken a deposit to be on a waiting list for the waiting list for the Abarth. I am changing my car in 12 months and am wondering at the lack of recent rumours if the Abarth is EVER coming to our shores! If not then Im going to have to look elsewhere.... Anyone have any insider info??? Thanks

Hi fidgell,

The car is definitely coming here, so no worries. I just posted a video on Marchionne where he talks about the car. We're expecting it here first quarter of 2012.

Re: Come on Fiat...Abarth NOW!!!

fidgell
Cant open the link in work.... Any mention of the engine the Abarth is getting?? Do you know what RON of gas it will need? Thanks

Re: Come on Fiat...Abarth NOW!!!

fidgell wrote
Cant open the link in work.... Any mention of the engine the Abarth is getting?? Do you know what RON of gas it will need? Thanks

The Abarth will have a 1.4L MultiAir turbo, similar to the MiTo Quadrifoglio. It is not the same engine in the current European Abarth. The European car uses Unleaded, at least 95
R.O.N. (Specification EN 228) which I believe is 91 octane as listed on our US pumps.

Marchionne speaks

Re: Come on Fiat...Abarth NOW!!!

5hundy
Planning on trading in the PE once the Abarth arrives (as long as its south of $30k)

Re: Come on Fiat...Abarth NOW!!!

Gavin
I plan to trade in the PE for the EV when it comes out

Gavin

Re: Come on Fiat...Abarth NOW!!!

Mike S
I plan on trading the PE for the 500C in 6 months then 6 months later the Abarth. If the Alfa is out by then I may get one of those to. I'm not rich but I have priorities before I die.

Re: Come on Fiat...Abarth NOW!!!

Gavin
Hey Chris...

If the Abarth is coming early 2012, when is the electric coming?

I had thought it was Pop/sport/lounge in early 2011, convert 6 months later, EV six months later, then Abarth...is it now Pop, convert, Abarth then electric?

Thanks

Gavin

Re: Come on Fiat...Abarth NOW!!!

Gavin
Mmmmm,  from the Wall Street Journal...

Pop, Sport and Lounge will be joined by the convertible Cabrio in the second quarter. The Abarth arrives in the first quarter of calendar year 2012 followed by an all electric vehicle in the fourth quarter.
so that is actually fine by me...2 years with the PE and then get the electric...I wonder if I can do a two year lease on the PE?

Gavin

Re: Come on Fiat...Abarth NOW!!!

CaliberSRT4
I think we were fooled by that Autoblog article Gavin. The one which stated the EV would launch before the Abarth:
http://green.autoblog.com/2010/11/19/fiat-500-abarth-coming-to-u-s-all-electric-500-bev/

All other evidence seems to refute the claims in that article. The prevailing evidence points to the Abarth being scheduled before the EV, and the EV landing sometime in late 2012.

Autoblog has screwed me for the last time, haha.

Re: Come on Fiat...Abarth NOW!!!

Here is something you might find interesting;)

Re: Come on Fiat...Abarth NOW!!!

sketch
Very interesting indeed... I thought the 500c was some time off!

And I've just proven to myself that I still don't realise it's 2011 sometimes... :P

Re: Come on Fiat...Abarth NOW!!!

sam500
I'm definitely keeping an eye out for the Abarth, and will likely trade my Prima for one. Maybe if the esseesse is around, I'll go for the extra ponies. So excited to see what FIAT USA does with them :)

Re: Come on Fiat...Abarth NOW!!!

sjmst
I want 3 500's my Prima, a cab for the wife and an Abarth!

Re: Come on Fiat...Abarth NOW!!!

Gavin
I just hope the EV has the fixed glass roof :)...with Leather seats:) all the things I can't get with my PE.

Gavin

yes i obsessed with that roof...will likely be even more obsessed after owning the PE for 2 years wanting those 2 inches back in head room that the sunroof is taking from me.

Re: Come on Fiat...Abarth NOW!!!

sjmst
Gavin, I called and got a fixed glass sunroof on my PE..

JUST KIDDING!

Does the sunroof really take away headroom? It flips up and OVER the roof...

Re: Come on Fiat...Abarth NOW!!!

Gavin
looking for exact numbers...think it is 39 without sunroof, 37 with sunroof...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/1101_2012_fiat_500/index.html

one reviews give exact numbers...will keep looking.

Re: Come on Fiat...Abarth NOW!!!

sketch
It still has to sit above your head when it's in place—glass, hardware, headliner.  Doesn't matter how it opens (unless you're in the back seat, anyway).

IIRC, the figures were 37.6" with the sunroof, 39" without.

Okay, I was close, 38.9" without.  It's in the specs.

http://fiat500usa.blogspot.com/2011/01/fiat-500-complete-vehicle.html

Re: Come on Fiat...Abarth NOW!!!

jvsgabriel
Are you really going to have someone sitting in the back seat?  Just angle the seat back more and lower the seat a bit.  I am sure you will find a comfortable seating position.  And if you do have to have someone in the backseat, make sure they stay on the passenger side.  hahahaha.

But can't wait to see and test drive the Abarth.  I too want to make my very own video piece like Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear, calling it a pet mouse that kill burglars.  I think if he can fit, most anyone can too.  He's about 6'5" or so.

Re: Come on Fiat...Abarth NOW!!!

sketch
Right... that's what I'm saying.  The way the sunroof opens only affects rear seat headroom.

I'm confident that if Clarkson fits, I'll fit.  That's actually probably the biggest thing that told me "you'll fit, don't worry about it".  I can't recall whether the one he drove had a sunroof, but he's got three inches on me, anyway.