Abarth News

1234 ... 6

Abarth News

RacerRon
Today I talked to the general manager of my local Fiat dealer and asked her if she had any news about the U.S. Abarth version? She said there is a completed drivable Abarth that several dealers got to see and drive. I don't know where this took place but my guess would be at the Chrysler proving grounds. No pictures were allowed and everyone's cell phone was collected before the car was shown. No one can talk about any details about the car either.

My guess is that this a a pre-production car being used for testing. Chris, have you heard anything about this?

Re: Abarth News

fredfrey
My dealer told me he test drove an Abarth in Detroit at one of the dealers meetings. It could have just been a Euro version for all we know.

Re: Abarth News

RacerRon
OK, if it was the Euro version, why no pictures allowed and the secrecy?

Re: Abarth News

CaliberSRT4
RacerRon wrote
OK, if it was the Euro version, why no pictures allowed and the secrecy?
Agreed. There wouldn't be confidentiality if it wasn't changed in some way.

Re: Abarth News

RacerRon wrote
Today I talked to the general manager of my local Fiat dealer and asked her if she had any news about the U.S. Abarth version? She said there is a completed drivable Abarth that several dealers got to see and drive. I don't know where this took place but my guess would be at the Chrysler proving grounds. No pictures were allowed and everyone's cell phone was collected before the car was shown. No one can talk about any details about the car either.

My guess is that this a a pre-production car being used for testing. Chris, have you heard anything about this?
Let me see.... Well, one thing to always remember when dealing with Marchionne's company is everything is TOP SECRET. They also don't mention ANYTHING about upcoming models because they don't want to steal the thunder from current offerings/releases.

So after saying that, the thing to watch for on the Abarth is:

1) How the third load path works with the twin intercoolers (and transmission choices) on the Abarth.
2) How they will market the upgraded HP on the MultiAir Turbo. A standard 150hp and an optional esseesse  version?

The next thing is a heads up....

From a good source, don't expect to wander down to a Fiat dealer next week and put a deposit in advance to get a car. These cars will be in extreme demand AND have limited availability.  The person, who works for the company, has doubts even they will be able to get a car.

These way in advance deposits don't guarantee a car... We'll have to see what happens with this...

Re: Abarth News

RacerRon
Chris, thanks for your insight on this. I understand about the "top secret' part. Every car company doesn't want details of their new car leaked until they are ready to reveal it.

I expect the Abarth to tlook about the same as the Euro version on the outside (with the USA changes). Just like you said Chris, it's the engine, transmission, and marketing choices that will have us guessing for awhile. I guess we will just have to wait, wait, wait.

I just hope average guys like me don't have to wait 2 years to get our hands on one.

Re: Abarth News

5*(10)^2
Abarth is the gem. But from the way things are handled with the PEs, both Fiat and the dealerships still have a lot of room for improvement. I'm trying not to diss the Toluca plant but the QC could need some work too. Just the thought of the Abarth being manufactured there give me the creeps.

Assuming it is arriving sometime in 2012, that should give them enough time to make the necessary improvements.

Re: Abarth News

RacerRon wrote
.... I just hope average guys like me don't have to wait 2 years to get our hands on one.
Yep, I agree. I'm not Jay Leno, so I may be driving my PE longer than I thought, but what the heck, you see what happens when you want to be first! LOL

Re: Abarth News

5*(10)^2 wrote
Abarth is the gem. But from the way things are handled with the PEs, both Fiat and the dealerships still have a lot of room for improvement. I'm trying not to diss the Toluca plant but the QC could need some work too. Just the thought of the Abarth being manufactured there give me the creeps.

Assuming it is arriving sometime in 2012, that should give them enough time to make the necessary improvements.

I think offering a special edition car AND rolling out a new dealer network just really pushed the limits of what could be done. With the network in place, I'm hoping the next special editions will be a lot smoother.

Re: Abarth News

sonicsby5
"2) How they will market the upgraded HP on the MultiAir Turbo"

I'm still wondering how they will market the current 500 - since there doesn't appear to be any marketing whatsoever.
#215 - First 500 Delivery in Washington

Re: Abarth News

sonicsby5
About the Toluca plant, my wife and I owned a 2001 PT Cruiser built there.  It was pretty late in the first year of production when ours finally rolled off the line, but I have to say, in the 9 years and 98K miles that we owned that car, everything worked and nothing every broke.  We made zero repairs other than wear out items (brakes and tires).

So I think the Toluca plant will get it together.  We're early in the production run, they'll figure it out.  Other than an intermittently failing USB port, our Prima has no other defects and 1200 super fun miles, so far so good!  I couldn't be happier.
#215 - First 500 Delivery in Washington

Re: Abarth News

sonicsby5 wrote
About the Toluca plant, my wife and I owned a 2001 PT Cruiser built there.  It was pretty late in the first year of production when ours finally rolled off the line, but I have to say, in the 9 years and 98K miles that we owned that car, everything worked and nothing every broke.  We made zero repairs other than wear out items (brakes and tires).

So I think the Toluca plant will get it together.  We're early in the production run, they'll figure it out.  Other than an intermittently failing USB port, our Prima has no other defects and 1200 super fun miles, so far so good!  I couldn't be happier.
That sounds great, so I'm hopeful.  The marketing will begin possibly this month. That was the plan as of Dec 2010. With the delays getting the dealers up and running, we'll have to see how that impacts that time frame.

Re: Abarth News

RacerRon
I don't think that Fiat should do a big advertising campaign just yet. They can't say "run right down to the your local dealer and pick up a 500", when there are only about 30 studios open in the U.S. right now.

Re: Abarth News

RacerRon wrote
I don't think that Fiat should do a big advertising campaign just yet. They can't say "run right down to the your local dealer and pick up a 500", when there are only about 30 studios open in the U.S. right now.
Agreed.

Re: Abarth News

lirandy
RacerRon wrote
I don't think that Fiat should do a big advertising campaign just yet. They can't say "run right down to the your local dealer and pick up a 500", when there are only about 30 studios open in the U.S. right now.
Well, I guess they have achieved the first step advertising the car - having us to talk about this car days and nights, and when people around us see our cars, we naturally kinda "advertise" the Fiat 500 to those people.  By the time more studios have opened in U.S, they would already have certain amount of people know about the 500.
#485 Bianco w/ sunroof
Always miss my Subies....

Re: Abarth News

FiatGal
lirandy wrote
. . .

Well, I guess they have achieved the first step advertising the car - having us to talk about this car days and nights, and when people around us see our cars, we naturally kinda "advertise" the Fiat 500 to those people.  By the time more studios have opened in U.S, they would already have certain amount of people know about the 500.
I know! I've been a walking advertisement for the past three years.

I agree that they should take time (to the Toluca QC folks: "take your time on my order!") and not rush. Better to create an (impatient) buzz than blow the roll-out. Plus... everyone likes things that are a bit mysterious. Much more desirable. I know of a shoe company that refuses to let anyone post pictures of their shoes online. Their shoes are very sought after!

Re: Abarth News

Dennislee
So I don`t sound stupid.....Is it pronounced AHHHHHBARTH, or AAAAAAAAABARTH?

Thanks
DennisLee

Re: Abarth News

Dennislee wrote
So I don`t sound stupid.....Is it pronounced AHHHHHBARTH, or AAAAAAAAABARTH?

Thanks
DennisLee

Good question.  The corect way is AHHBARTH.

Re: Abarth News

fredfrey wrote
My dealer told me he test drove an Abarth in Detroit at one of the dealers meetings. It could have just been a Euro version for all we know.

I have a Friend who is driving the Euro version esseesse right now. It's an evaluation car (of course there could be some goodies for us in there that he's not at the liberty to tell us) and it's awesome.

 My guess is look for Abarth specific news to wards the end of the year.

Re: Abarth News

Giallo Edizione
Fiat500USA wrote
Dennislee wrote
So I don`t sound stupid.....Is it pronounced AHHHHHBARTH, or AAAAAAAAABARTH?

Thanks
DennisLee

Good question.  The corect way is AHHBARTH.
 with the accent on the barth, right?

and exactly how would a proper Itialian pronounce that?
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)
1234 ... 6