Abarth News

Re: Abarth News

By the time the Abarth rolls out, all the start up hiccups and bugs will be worked out.  There won't be a lot of info on the Abarth because they don't want to steal the thunder from the new cars. We'll have to wait on the news until closer to launch time.

Re: Abarth News

navy48
I disagree.  what about those 30 dealers (40 is what I heard)?  what 'thanks' do they get for opening on time, on schedule and meeting all of FIAT's demands?  none.  they have to wait until many more dealers are open to receive any corporate advertising.

I'm sure they're wondering 'why did we spend so much $$ to ensure we opened ON TIME?'  no incentives from FIAT.

I even heard that one dealer won't open now until NEXT YEAR.  FIAT should pull their approval and offer it to another party.  just not fair to those that are playing by the rules and doing all they can to help the mother company out.
"O'Brien Fiat of Greenwood is MY FIAT Studio of choice!!!"

Re: Abarth News

Jeepnut
I was hoping the Abarth wouldn't be so limited I've been waiting on it to arrive here but honestly I'm starting to lean towards a new Alfa anyway. I can see it now a bright red Alfa Giulietta cloverleaf and a nice Saturday morning at the Tail of the Dragon doesn't get any better

Re: Abarth News

I agree with you. Fiat should take care of the dealers that did open on time, that is for sure.

Re: Abarth News

RacerRon
The June issue of Automobile Magazine has a small article about the upcoming Abarth.

"Expect about 160 hp to start, a whopping 60 percent increase over the standard 500, but it'll be about a year from now before you can buy one."

The article didn't mention a 6-speed transmission, so nothing really new that we didn't already know.

Re: Abarth News

Fidgell
http://www.ca.autoblog.com/2011/05/11/2012-fiat-500-abarth-quick-spin-review/

FORM A VERY UNORDERLY QUEUE AND GET READY TOCHANGE YOUR PANTS!!!!

Re: Abarth News

SeaDawg
Fidgell wrote
FORM A VERY UNORDERLY QUEUE AND GET READY TOCHANGE YOUR PANTS!!!!
Well written article.  And for those waiting for the Abarth....WOOHOO!

Re: Abarth News

Fidgell wrote
http://www.ca.autoblog.com/2011/05/11/2012-fiat-500-abarth-quick-spin-review/

FORM A VERY UNORDERLY QUEUE AND GET READY TOCHANGE YOUR PANTS!!!!
Indeed, a very well written article and some good estimations of what we MAY get here.

Re: Abarth News

RacerRon
Fidgell, thanks for posting this link; had not seen it before. It's a nice article and the video shows that the Abarth is right at home on the race track. Two things I don't like about the test vehicle: I don't like the wheels or the large scorpion decals.

Re: Abarth News

ciddyguy wrote
Fidgell wrote
http://www.ca.autoblog.com/2011/05/11/2012-fiat-500-abarth-quick-spin-review/

FORM A VERY UNORDERLY QUEUE AND GET READY TOCHANGE YOUR PANTS!!!!
Indeed, a very well written article and some good estimations of what we MAY get here.

I can say our car will really be the evolution of the 2008 Abarth and it will have more performance than the Euro car.

edited to fix midnight grammar;)

Re: Abarth News

spindoc
Thanks for the link.  This article says the Abarth is supposed to come here in late 2012, while previous reports have suggested it should be here next Spring.  Hope it's sooner rather than later.

Re: Abarth News

Thad
As of the 500C debut at NYIAS, I was still hearing first quarter 2012.

Re: Abarth News

Thad wrote
As of the 500C debut at NYIAS, I was still hearing first quarter 2012.
Here is something interesting: In January, I was at press event with Laura Soave and she mentioned beginning 2012, then in March, when I was at Criswell, someone asked her and I noticed she didn't say the beginning of 2012, but just smiled and said next year. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, or maybe they are just keeping their cards close to their chest.  We'll see...

Re: Abarth News

Terry
Hi Chris et al,

Today's Chicago Trib sez the Abarth will have 160-170 bhp and will be introduced in first half of 2012.

Chris, your pricing speculation on the 500 was pretty close to what it turned out to be, any thoughts on the price of the Abarth and what do you think the transmission choices will be given the extra front end crash protection that will be required?

(Beginning to salivate a bit here!)

Terry

Re: Abarth News

RacerRon
I'm hoping the Abarth is offered with Fiat's DuaLogic gearbox, which is a sequential manual gearbox. It comes in the 180 hp racing version of the 500. This is different than what is offered in the 500 Abarth 695 Tributo Ferrari car. That one uses a an MTA (Manual Transmission Automatic) gearbox with a flappy paddle shifter.

Re: Abarth News

Jeepnut
It was leaked earlier today by a VERY! Reliable source in Chrysler Gucci will be Q4 2011 Abarth will be Q1 2012

Re: Abarth News

MrFiat
Reality Bites!   Pity the new Abarth might be difficult to get.   I have been SOOOO waiting to have another in the driveway.    I certainly hope things start to happen soon.  Most of us old guys aren't getting any younger you know !  Hope I can outlast the wait !!   LOL

Re: Abarth News

Terry
Hey Mr. Fiat,

I can totally relate to the waiting / not waiting scenario! Over my desk here at work I have a picture of an Abarth in white with all the stripes and rally lights blasting through the snow entitled "Piemonte Mondiale A Weekend of Events."

My first FIAT was a  1980 Spider 2000 that my dealer kindly installed a rear seatbelt on the bench so my 5 year old son could sit in the back. (I remember him suffering back there for hours next to a coleman cooler!), next up was a Strada and then the ultimo: An Alfa GTV6.

I am really dithering about getting a Pop or Sport now or waiting for the Abarth but it is a race between the grim reaper and who knows, maybe Alzheimers ("Hey where are my keys, where am I going and what am I driving???)

Terry

Re: Abarth News

RacerRon
Nice to see another "old-timer" in the forum. Please give us some details on that double -bubble Zagato Abarth in the picture. I have never owned an Abarth, but hopefully that will change in 2012.

Re: Abarth News

Jeepnut
I was gonna ask the same thing it looks good. Kinda looks like a Porsche 911 and a Shelby roadster had an Italian love affair haha. What's under the hood
123456