What's happening with the cars

I have alluded to this in other threads, but I want to post it here, so folks that are waiting and wondering what's going on will know the latest:

For the Prima owners that are still waiting, the main hold up is that some dealers are waiting for their state licenses. Now, many of these should be arriving shortly, but until then, Fiat cannot legally send cars to dealers without this license.

It is possible to reassign the car to another dealer that may already have a license, but a new window sticker must be re-issued to the new dealer (by law), and that can take 4-5 days. By that time, the original dealer may have their license.

So you have a choice to reassign, or wait it out. Contact your dealer and see if this is what is holding the car up and then make your decision.

It is frustrating if you aren't near a dealer already open, but then, Fiat said when we signed up, they couldn't guarantee a dealer near you or even in the same state. We're almost there, so hang on!

You're not alone. Personally, I need my car for this website and would have loved it sooner, but I've been waiting for 28 years for a new Fiat, I can wait it out another week or two.

Best regards,
Chris

Re: What's happening with the cars

marcants1977
I find the reprinting excuse of the window stickers (monroney) hard to believe. Dealer trades happen daily in the car business and the monroney never has to be reprinted...Having recently been working in a Jeep Dealership I know we never reprinted the sticker on Dealer trades that we later resold at our store.

Guido
Sandro
Prima #332
1988 Alfa Romeo Milano Verde, 1991 164, 1976 Alfa Spider

Re: What's happening with the cars

Jeff
It's a mess.
Prima #446 Bianco

Re: What's happening with the cars

marcants1977 wrote
I find the reprinting excuse of the window stickers (monroney) hard to believe. Dealer trades happen daily in the car business and the monroney never has to be reprinted...Having recently been working in a Jeep Dealership I know we never reprinted the sticker on Dealer trades that we later resold at our store.

Guido

Hi Guido,

There is other paper work, besides the monroney, that also needs to be done at the corporate level, and that contributes to the delay.  Sorry I didn't make that clear.

Re: What's happening with the cars

sjmst
Fiat said delivery expected no later than April 30. Any time before that is early...no matter how much we want our car now!

Re: What's happening with the cars

Mike S
That's true, but it was implied.

Nobody could have imagined our cars ready and near our homes (within a couple hundred miles) waiting weeks for delivery. This is not a production problem.

It would be much easier to take if Fiat told us what is going wrong. This is like a bad divorce.

Re: What's happening with the cars

sjmst
Mike S wrote
That's true, but it was implied.

Nobody could have imagined our cars ready and near our homes (within a couple hundred miles) waiting weeks for delivery. This is not a production problem.

It would be much easier to take if Fiat told us what is going wrong. This is like a bad divorce.
No question, it is not going great. With this many unhappy people, there is an undeniable problem.

Re: What's happening with the cars

BILL
Fiat called all of us and said it would be 14 to 17 days for delivery! now its been over 3 weeks!!!!
And i am pissed !!! Because they cant even tell us when the cars will be handed out!! They new these problems when they called!!!! But choose to give us bad info! So you saying that they told us 4/30 for delivery is old information. They have since called people and that is why everyone is upset!

Re: What's happening with the cars

BILL
I want some type of compansation!!
CAR # 80
Our local here in milwaukee is selling cars to any joe off the street!! I order 8 months ago and was told
i would be the first 500 to get one! And now they cant even tell me when i can pick it up !!! SHITTY SHITTY SHITTY !!

Re: What's happening with the cars

Gavin
They also said we would be the first 500 Fiat 500 owners in the US...that is far from true at this point...my car is traveling further and further from me as I type and people are buying non Prima 500s from multiple dealers at this point...even the dealer my car is heading too has sold non Prima cars...

I have no thoughts of suing or anything remotely like that...but Fiat clearly dropped the ball with Prima deliveries...and Fiat clearly said the Primas would be first, and that is not happening.

Eh, it is what it is, and I will keep waiting patiently....but nobody can tell me I am getting my car "early" when from "Day One" Fiat was telling us, "Put down a deposit and be one of the first 500 people to own the New Fiat 500 in the United States."

Gavin

Re: What's happening with the cars

willrace4beer
Last night, in San Leandro, CA, many FIAT America members were in attendance when the first four members picked-up their PEs. We now have two white, one red and one gray PE in the club! A few more members are awaiting calls from their dealer.

Re: What's happening with the cars

If a dealer you chose has a license and is delivering cars then it's a matter of them getting your car delivered to them. I don't understand what the problem is, other than the logistics of shipping. Hopefully, the dealer can speak on that and what the hold up is.

I don't know if the dealers like to talk about the license delay, and I assume most of the workers don't have know anything about that. It's something that is normally not discussed with employees that aren't in the loop. The employees may be assuming it is another problem and giving erroneous information. That doesn't help and like most things, communication is key. This is something that really needs work.

Also, there is a difference between taking deposits and delivering cars. I think the term selling cars may be confusing the situation.  If a dealer is licensed and authorized to deliver cars, you should be able to get your Prima there (other than the wait to get it shipped there).

Re: What's happening with the cars

SeattleCar
Well, our car (along with seven other Primas) has been sitting at the dealer for over a week, been PDI'd, they got their license on Monday, but still "can't" sell us our car because of "software upgrades" or some other such nonsense. SUCKS!!

Re: What's happening with the cars

Gavin
I guess, for me Chris, what is confusing is just how "confused" Fiat themselves have been.

They themselves told me a dealer...had everything worked out...lots of great communication....9 days later Fiat tells me a different dealer...gah...but I call that dealer...dealer doesn't want my Prima...so I get a different dealer...but now Fiat is telling me that my car is going to the dealer who doesn't want my Prima (too far at 1000 miles from me)...But PaulL says the car is going to a different dealer than that one....In the meantime Fiat is selling cars to all kinds of people (Prima people, non Prima people)...it seems I could have gotten a 500 faster by not being an early deposit holder...sigh...

It is a bit of madness right now...which generally I like a bit of madness...but not usually with my big ticket purchases :)

It will likely all work out in the end...but I don't really know...

Oh well

Gavin

Re: What's happening with the cars

Scorpion
I know a lot of you are having trouble just GETTING your cars to the dealer. But, I'd like to remind everyone to be diligent AFTER the car arrives and you are doing "the deal". Look for extra fees that might make their way onto the bottom line.

Especially be aware of "Doc Fees", which are basically BS. Some states have a cap on what the dealer can charge as a doc fee, but many don't, which means the sky's the limit. As we've found out from several Prima buyers in FL, the dealer can play hardball and try to force you to pay $600+ additional, which is nothing more than profit for them.

This link at edmunds.com explains it and gives a rundown of each state's law (or lack thereof) on doc fees:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/what-fees-should-you-pay.html

My car is currently scheduled to arrive at my dealer any day now, and yet I cannot get them to tell me how much the car is going to cost. After repeated emails and phone calls. It should be a fairly simply calculation. So, I'm extremely concerned that it magically is going to end up higher than I expect.

What I, and many of you may have imagined with the Prima program is that the Fiat "experience" was going to be that of a premium car. And, some of us may find out that it is not, depending on the dealer. Which is a shame for Fiat, as they have no control over that.

I never pay over sticker for a car, usually less. But, I was resigned to paying sticker on the Prima due to it's special status, but not anything additional.

I'm very close to canceling my Prima order and ordering a Sport from "PaulL" here on the forum. He has been extremely gracious helping me navigate my issue.

Bottom line, beware of tactics used to drive up the bottom line when it comes time to take delivery.
Prima 111 Rosso
VIVA500.com

Re: What's happening with the cars

fredfrey
"If a dealer you chose has a license and is delivering cars then it's a matter of them getting your car delivered to them. I don't understand what the problem is"

Yes, none of us (Dealers, customers or FIAT's help line) understand what the problem is. Cars sitting for 3 weeks at shipping yards getting bumped into, scratched, sunbaked. Massive confusion. We're only talking about 500 or so cars! FIAT wants to sell 50,000 a year?  Good luck with that.

Re: What's happening with the cars

MrJones
BILL wrote
I want some type of compansation!!
CAR # 80
Our local here in milwaukee is selling cars to any joe off the street!! I order 8 months ago and was told
i would be the first 500 to get one! And now they cant even tell me when i can pick it up !!! SHITTY SHITTY SHITTY !!
If you're referring to Bergstrom, I have been told that the Primas have arrived and they are delivering one on Saturday. I understand it can be tough getting in touch with them. Give them a call.

Re: What's happening with the cars

Thad
Same story with my car about software and a bad module of some sort.

Re: What's happening with the cars

5*(10)^2
Scorpion brought up a good pt on the fees.

Also, when you get your PE, please bring a camera. Not only to take pictures of the "special" occasion but take note of any damaged or improperly installed trims.

Someone picked up his PE here in So Cal, and realized the shift boot trim wasn't clicked in properly. AC vents wasn't installed correctly.

And also, last Sun, when I saw my PE, a corner of the rear boot trim was damaged. I notified the dealer but I doubt they are replacing that yet.

Re: What's happening with the cars

5*(10)^2
And if they can't deliver by April 30, they are suppose to contact you prior to let you know. This was detailed in the original terms shown to us online after we placed the $500.

11. Chrysler Group LLC expects that delivery of Your new Fiat 500 Prima Edizione will be made no later than April 30, 2011.  However, delays in manufacturing and shipment are possible due to quality control or other reasons.  If Chrysler Group LLC learns of a delay in shipment prior to the time You have signed a retail purchase contract with your selected authorized Fiat dealer, Chrysler Group LLC or your selected authorized Fiat dealer will notify You of the anticipated new availability date, at which time You will have the option of accepting the new anticipated delivery date or canceling the reservation and obtaining a full refund.

I always thought the April 30 dateline also implies that regular 500s should not be sold until then. I recall speaking to a rep on Ciao Fiat and she agreed. But so what...

12345