What's happening with the cars

Re: What's happening with the cars

kmarei
what about those, like me, who's local dealer IS licensed to sell
and IS selling Fiat 500's as we speak
but for some reason my car keeps getting pushed back
it was the 9th, then it changed to the 17th, then it changed to the 23rd
and if ic ll fiat they are totally clueless
i shudder to think how the servicing will be once we get our cars
and all this after being out of the market for 27 years
you'd think they do everything perfectly this time
guess not

Servicing?  I peeked out back at my FIAT dealership and there are 3 bays and nothing, absolutely nothing, in the space-except an Alfa Spyder. No parts, no tools, no power units, no people.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: What's happening with the cars

John Montgomery
 Hi all,
 Yes, Primas deliveriies are delayed a bit. So what? Honestly, we have been without cars for 28 years, is several days or even 2 weeks delay really that bad? Come on.
 My own situation on Prima #77 is that the dealer has no license yet, but they expect it in a week or so. The other issue is the location studio is not done yet, but just goes to show that building studios can take a bit longer than building a car. We'll all have them in a few weeks one way or another. The current temporary situation os just a byproduct of moving very fast, but overall I think the effort by the Fiat / Chrysler team is incredible. Those guys have been working non stop 24-7 for over a year to bring a brand new brand to market. The pace is unprecidented. Chrysler has 16 products since Fiat came on the scene, is that not telling us how fast and furious the pace is going?
 Listen, my thoughts are this:
 The 500 is a an "inclusive" car. It gathers people who love the car, and while it defines a unique lifestyle to each owner, we are all united as owners. Let's not lose sight when the final stretch to the finish line is got a tiny bump in the road.
 So just like a family or a team working together, we certainly need all the right facts in all circumstances, even if it hurts a bit. A few folks are not on the same page every day, but we have to expect that when everything top to bottom is brand new.
  I believe in Laura and the team 100%, period. She and the team believes in all of us new owners too, so it's a 2 way street. Let's build the base of believers together and harness the energy to project upon the marketplace in a positive way. I think that is what the Prima commercial was all about. That emotional capital must be nurtured and protected.
 The 500 is going to redefine the "A" segment and perhaps the relationship between a owner and his car. It's the perfect match for so many reasons. We somtimes see these kinds of perfect compliments to our lives. A great fitting pair of jeans, a home cooked meal, a wonderful friend or spouse, a loving God directing our lives from within.
The Fiat 500 is a product that carries a transportation ideal forward so let's project it and preach the gospel. Therein is the opportunity to sell the units needed, but in the case of the Fiat brand, it is also a opportunity redefine the customer-buyer relationship too. We can never underestimate the power of the emotional engagement from the Fiat 500 buyer. But it is also an opportunity to engage and cultivate the dealer relationship on a personal level, so that "friend in the car business" is truly a friend. We can build that together, which is the solid ground that makes a car brand grow. Let's try to be a lot more forgiving than demanding. Sure, we're the customer, and we could make some waves, but does anyone think that after 28 years, we're just going to do a bunch a squabbling so some "drive by" cheap shot auto journalist will pick up on it and fabricate it into a story that fits their template? Lighten up everyone, you'll get your car and it will be fantastic.
   We have all that is needed. Laura and the Fiat/Chrysler team's leadership, a great car and devoted believers who are also buyers. All three working together cannot be defeated.
That is why cultivating the relationships with the dealers here is genius. The dealers are the final destination between seller and buyer, but we are the touchstone that gets the fire burning for these new cars. Since the dealers will not have as much reach because of the distance and number of studios, we have to help fill in the gap. The actual owners are a big part of the extension of the outreach from the dealer network. It's our privilege to introduce the car to a new person, and it may often occur outside of the dealership showroom. The mall, a restaurant parking lot, a convience store, a school, sporting event or work location. We will start the cycle of emotional engagement, and since we know the dealer, they can take it from there to write the sale. There is nothing more powerful than a happy owner who loves to talk about his/her car. It's powerful and effective, so let's look at the big picture in the long term.
 I want Alfa back ASAP, and we owe it to our Alfa breatheren to put our best foot forward and champion the Fiat brand. Fiat's success means Alfa's fast return...let's do it! Besides, we may have $20k invested in a car, these dealers have millions invested. Let's support them and let them come up to speed with us helping, not hurting.
 I hope everyone gives it a bit more time and keeps their cool as the stores come on line. We as new owners will project an image, so let's not dwell on a few bumps in the road but think about the sweet satisfaction in Italian motoring that is just ahead for North America.

Re: What's happening with the cars

prima 109
Hi John, It's Craig from Gbg.  I didn't know you were/are a motivational speaker,lol.  glad to see you joined the forum.  take care.
Craig #109 Rosso with sunroof/post assembly block heater.

Re: What's happening with the cars

Mike S
Did you just wake up John? You just gave a pep talk that should have happened 3 months ago. Where have you been?

Don't blame the faithful for being disappointed, there has been NO communication to help this along and smooth out the bumps.

There is still time for a passing grade in time for the finals but for the midterm Fiat gets an F.

He may of had a Five hour energy shot.  lol
Craig #109 Rosso with sunroof/post assembly block heater.

Re: What's happening with the cars

prima 109 wrote
Hi John, It's Craig from Gbg.  I didn't know you were/are a motivational speaker,lol.  glad to see you joined the forum.  take care.
Can I get an AMEN!

Re: What's happening with the cars

PE#454
prima 109 wrote
Hi John....  I didn't know you were/are a motivational speaker,lol.....
Which begs the question:

Do you live in a Doblo down by the river?

Re: What's happening with the cars

Jeff
I figured Laura was on the forum somewhere!!!
Prima #446 Bianco

Re: What's happening with the cars

MrJones

You should save this speech for the shareholder's meeting. Personally, I thought it sounded like a corporate shill. I'm tired of the fanboys telling the rest of us that our disappointment is misguided and inappropriate.
If a higer-up from Fiat posted even 10% of the words you did regarding delays and answering simple questions, few of us would be venting so vociferously.

I'm not even going to address the items in your post that I found a little offensive (bringing God into this, really?); in fact I skimmed most of it because it was trite and hackneyed. Ban me from your forum if you like--have the brown shirts censor all the negative posts if they have to--but this doesn't change my total disappointment in the early stages of the Fiat launch.

I love the car, admire the brand, but do not make me drink the Kool Aid.

Re: What's happening with the cars

John Montgomery
Hi Mike,
 I know it's disappointing, but I still think it's best to be patient. There's a lot of ravenous wolves out there (especially auto writers) who want their age old Fiat templates verified. Fiat said the cars will be delivered by April 30th. Today is March 18. Day by day things will work out better and better. We owe it to ourselves to stay positive. That will keep our Fiat 500 purchase investments positive too.
Thanks!
John

Re: What's happening with the cars

Gavin
Actually on 12/22/10 Laura herself sent emails:

Delivery should occur in mid to late February. Which means we are also extending the deadline to the end of February for you to complete the purchase of your vehicle.....

Look for more updates regarding the assembly of your Prima Edizione FIAT 500 — and more importantly, its delivery date.

Sincerely,

Laura Soave
CEO
FIAT North America

Then after that Laura send me emails showing my car being made, my car being put on a truck....and then nothing...I get a call on Feb 21st telling me to expect my car in 7 to 14 days (yes I know most were told 17-21 days...mine told me 7-14, but even if that is an error, well 17-21 days has come and gone too)...then no more communication except to tell me my dealer changed...and changed again...etc etc. ---I will admit that just the other day a "higher up" in Michigan called me...it was nice...he had lots of energy...but he still only had partial answers---

I don't think of myself as a negative or bitter person...and I am still planning to buy my Prima...but I have to admit I get "put off" when people tell me I can't be upset with the process.

1) Horrid communication...

2) Constant changes to where my Prima will go, when it will get there and HOW I will even get it to my house (Studio 2.5 miles from me is not good enough for my Prima, but here is one 260 miles away...Opps, 9 days later and after having ALL the Details worked out with that studio and being VERY HAPPY and having GREAT communication with that studio's director, Nope, that studio is suddenly not good enough either...Now car is going 1000 miles from my home...opps, that studio (rightly) doesn't want my Prima (too far)....Now car goes 700 miles from my home...that studio won't give me details on price, time of delivery or how they will deliver it...

3) Studio licenses...this is a huge deal...when Fiat released their studio list I was very happy...A studio in Albuquerque, SWEET...I wouldn't have to worry about where I would get my car...HA...Ok, Albuquerque isn't ready...but they have a big Chrysler dealership, I can get my Prima there...I don't car about the Fiat Studio experience...I just want to experience my Prima...Nope...Ok, where then?? El Paso? Ok, I'm good with that...El Paso wants to bring my car directly to my driveway????? SWEET...I love those guys....Opps, "I know we at Fiat told you you had to get your car from EL PASO, but we changed our minds...Now Memphis"...opps, "Now Austin"..."What you can't drive or fly to Austin? What Austin won't tell you final price or how car will get to you? What you're slowly getting less and less happy with how this is going?? Why that is unacceptable!!"

gah, I could go on and on...but it doesn't change a thing...and truthfully I am not overly unhappy...I just want to know that I will be able to get my car...what it will cost...how it will get to my home.

it is a strange thing to be in Limbo...I had answers, then Fiat made last minute changes and I no longer have even the simple answer of how my car will get to my house.

so I will make a deal with you....I won't tell you that you can't be happy with everything Fiat and you can't tell me to not be a bit pissed.

Cool.

As for the investment part...the Prima is not in any ways for me an investment...there will be thousands of 500s made and there will likely be many many many special editions. The Gucci special edition will likely be much more rare than the Prima...buy your car, enjoy your car...but I don't think it will be a money maker in any way unless you ebay it on day one...and even that probably won't be worth too much...and it spoils the fun of wanting one to drive.

Gavin

Re: What's happening with the cars

Gavin
Ha...ok...I might delete that last post...or just leave it as it is part of my "history with Fiat"...

BUT...big happiness at the moment...

Josh, the "higher up at Fiat" just called me.

I will still be doing my paperwork with Fiat of Austin....BUT my Prima is now going to be delivered to the Chrysler dealership here in Albuquerque...

YEAH...what I kinda wanted all along....

Took a few calls and some very very mild bitching (i do the killing with kindness thing)...but I will give Fiat big ups...they did listen, they did work on it, they did rectify the problem...

So Yeah...and Go Fiat!!

:)

Gavin

now my car may still end up in Austin for all I know, but right now I'm happy and thinking ABQ in a couple of days....

:)

Re: What's happening with the cars

MrJones wrote

You should save this speech for the shareholder's meeting. Personally, I thought it sounded like a corporate shill. I'm tired of the fanboys telling the rest of us that our disappointment is misguided and inappropriate.
If a higer-up from Fiat posted even 10% of the words you did regarding delays and answering simple questions, few of us would be venting so vociferously.

I'm not even going to address the items in your post that I found a little offensive (bringing God into this, really?); in fact I skimmed most of it because it was trite and hackneyed. Ban me from your forum if you like--have the brown shirts censor all the negative posts if they have to--but this doesn't change my total disappointment in the early stages of the Fiat launch.

I love the car, admire the brand, but do not make me drink the Kool Aid.
I know John. FWIW, he is a good guy and very much a cheerleader for the brand. I have also never seen him get angry or nasty, and I think he really believes what he wrote. Still, he does not begrudge anyone being upset.
Just giving his honest perspective...with which I know many disagree...

Re: What's happening with the cars

Gavin wrote
Ha...ok...I might delete that last post...or just leave it as it is part of my "history with Fiat"...

BUT...big happiness at the moment...

Josh, the "higher up at Fiat" just called me.

I will still be doing my paperwork with Fiat of Austin....BUT my Prima is now going to be delivered to the Chrysler dealership here in Albuquerque...

YEAH...what I kinda wanted all along....

Took a few calls and some very very mild bitching (i do the killing with kindness thing)...but I will give Fiat big ups...they did listen, they did work on it, they did rectify the problem...

So Yeah...and Go Fiat!!

:)

Gavin

now my car may still end up in Austin for all I know, but right now I'm happy and thinking ABQ in a couple of days....

:)
Great to hear, Gavin!

Gavin, that is FABULOUS news! I'm so happy for you.

Re: What's happening with the cars

Gavin
awww, thanks guys...

Now I'm just waiting to take my first ride :)

Gavin

guess I won't be test riding any Volvo C30s this weekend...which is good and bad...would love to go ride one and test it out, but afraid I will love it and then buy it...

bad...more money...not as cute...not very good mileage...a bit bigger and slightly less commuter friendly...

good...a bit bigger if i take more people or things...very very well made and quite handsome...while mileage is poorish, well i don't really drive too much anyways...volvo, so very safe...if I want the volvo c30 electric in a couple of years, well I would have a built in trade in.

either would make a good commuter car that is fun to drive...so i can't go too wrong either way...sticking Prima...can't 100% say why :)

buying a car for me is often about intangibles...my wife would like me to take a more studied approach...but she always wants me to buy a toyota or honda...

Re: What's happening with the cars

MrJones
  "John...[is] very much a cheerleader for the brand."

Really? I hadn't noticed.

Best wishes for Fiat and their fans,
Ciao!

Bye! Ya'll come back, ya heah?