Maintenance intervals

I've come across some information on the maintenance schedule that I'd like to share with everyone. The mileage interval is 8,000 miles (4,000 miles for severe duty).

The car comes with 3 years/36,000 mile free maintenance (schedule "A", which is normal driving) that includes select wear items  such as; Brake Pads, Rotors, Wiper Blades and Clutch.

The intervals are at 8,000 miles and service at Fiat dealers only.

Sounds good!

Re: Maintenance intervals

jdjefferson
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Maintenance intervals

Jim McKenzie
thats good news.   Avoiding the Fix It Again syndrome is highly desirable, the waranty/maintenance cycle exceeds competitors, making the new Fiat seem more reliable. Kudos to Fiat for this.
1973 Fiat 850 Sport Spider
1977 Fiat X1/9

Re: Maintenance intervals

Mike S
I will probably be selling or trading in the PE when the 500C comes out and it will likely have only about 3 or 4 thousand miles on it.

The 500C may or may not be kept when the Abarth comes out. I'm sure the Abarth can be tuned to make it reasonably fast.

So, in one year I expect to buy 3 500's and maybe an Alfa.

Re: Maintenance intervals

Mike S wrote
I will probably be selling or trading in the PE when the 500C comes out and it will likely have only about 3 or 4 thousand miles on it.

The 500C may or may not be kept when the Abarth comes out. I'm sure the Abarth can be tuned to make it reasonably fast.

So, in one year I expect to buy 3 500's and maybe an Alfa.
More good news is the warranties are transferable to the next owner.

edited: added "to"

Re: Maintenance intervals

Fiat500USA wrote
I've come across some information on the maintenance schedule that I'd like to share with everyone. The mileage interval is 8,000 miles (4,000 miles for severe duty).

The car comes with 3 years/36,000 mile free maintenance (schedule "A", which is normal driving) that includes select wear items  such as; Brake Pads, Rotors, Wiper Blades and Clutch.

The intervals are at 8,000 miles and service at Fiat dealers only.

Sounds good!
It does! Only issue: I live near NYC. If the nearset dealer is in Maryland, I must bring the PE there for service?

I'll be naive and say your local dealer will be open by the time you need your first service(?). LOL

Re: Maintenance intervals

sjmst
Fiat500USA wrote
sjmst wrote
Fiat500USA wrote
I've come across some information on the maintenance schedule that I'd like to share with everyone. The mileage interval is 8,000 miles (4,000 miles for severe duty).

The car comes with 3 years/36,000 mile free maintenance (schedule "A", which is normal driving) that includes select wear items  such as; Brake Pads, Rotors, Wiper Blades and Clutch.

The intervals are at 8,000 miles and service at Fiat dealers only.

Sounds good!
It does! Only issue: I live near NYC. If the nearset dealer is in Maryland, I must bring the PE there for service?
I'll be naive and say your local dealer will be open by the time you need your first service(?). LOL
Well, I drive 100 miles per day!

Re: Maintenance intervals

sketch
Oh, that's excellent news.  Toyota seems to recommend 5,000 mile oil changes for every model, even the Prius, which is a bit ridiculous considering the engine isn't even on half the time!

What's worse, my dealership's service department took it upon themselves to recommend oil changes every 3k, ostensibly because the hot, humid climate is worse on oil.  Yeah, okay.  I'm gonna trust Toyota's engineers on this one.

Very refreshing to hear the interval is longer, and knowing they're gonna pay for the first three years of it is even better! \o/

Re: Maintenance intervals

sketch wrote
...Yeah, okay.  I'm gonna trust Toyota's engineers on this one...
 I agree.

Re: Maintenance intervals

RacerRon
Hopefully, the dealerships will play-up Fiat's generous warranty and free maintenance.

Re: Maintenance intervals

Springer2011
Be careful when purchasing your Fiat 500. Some dealerships push signing documents accepting the lower mileage service interval. If they have service A and B levels make sure you sign for the 8000 mile interval and not the 4000 mile interval. I am very glad to see service included within the warranty period. My late father had a 1960 Fiat 500 when I was seven years old and I am looking forward to buying a Sport version.

Re: Maintenance intervals

sjmst
Wow, that is good info. Thanks!

Re: Maintenance intervals

Minuszka
" make sure you sign for the 8000 mile interval and not the 4000 mile interval. " - why the 8000 mile interval? What's the problem with the 4K?

" My late father had a 1960 Fiat 500 when I was seven years old and I am looking forward to buying a Sport version. " - same, here, it was a '69 model and I was 3. I'm getting the PE.

Re: Maintenance intervals

sketch
It's overkill and a waste of money.  If Fiat recommends oil changes every 8,000 miles, then change the oil every 8,000 miles.  They sell the 4,000 mile plans to make more money off of chumps.

In Europe the car has something like a 12,000 mile maintenance interval, if I recall correctly.  I'm fully confident that 8k is a sufficient oil change interval.

Re: Maintenance intervals

CaliberSRT4
I don't see any problem in getting more frequent oil changes if Fiat is paying for them. If you have to pay out of pocket for every other oil change, then it might not be worth it.

Re: Maintenance intervals

Springer2011
Some of the issues about service intervals are:

1) The dealers push the lower mileage intervals to get you in more often to push selling you more items. A dealer told me once "This is what we require". That is pretty aggressive.
2) The lower mileage intervals cost you more money.
3) Follow the higher mileage interval since "Extreme Service" means emergency vehicle fleets, etc, (in my opinion).
4) If you sign documents for a lower mileage interval and do not follow it but follow the higher mileage interval the Dealer can game you and try to use this to not cover warranty work. They cannot do this legally speaking though.
5) If they do not accept using the higher mileage service interval call customer service or your State consumer affairs department to take care of it for you. Don't sign documents for a lower mileage interval.
6) I called Chrysler customer service to inguire about dealer business practices and was told and I will quote "We do not have control over how our dealers operate since they are independently owned and are independent contractors". You can take it from here.

I have a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited and a 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 and speak from experience. That is all I want to say online.

Re: Maintenance intervals

sketch
I can guarantee that Fiat will not cover maintenance past their recommended service intervals.

It'll be like any other extra package the dealer tries to get you to buy at signing.  Extended warranties, maintenance plans, whatever; none of it's actually through Fiat (or Chrysler, or Ford, or Toyota...).  Say "no" to everything because it's always a waste and move on.

Re: Maintenance intervals

CaliberSRT4
Agreed.

Actually when I bought my Caliber SRT4 at a Dodge dealer, they really didn't try to sell me anything. The finance person told me about extended warranties and said I could get them any time before the original warranty expires. Other than that, they didn't mention anything. Nothing about maintenance (except they gave me a free oil change card). No rust-proofing, paint protection, or anything else.

Not that I would have accepted any of that anyway, no matter how persuasive the sales person.

Also, I am glad to hear about Fiat's no-haggle price policy. I always liked that about Saturn.

Re: Maintenance intervals

Springer2011 wrote
[...]

I am getting the free maintenance and nothing more. Period. If the dealer wants to say I need more or it will void the warranty or some BS, he can pay for it...or speak to my lawyer: me.