Maintenance intervals

Re: Maintenance intervals

One of the cool things the engineer in charge of the 1.4L MiltiAir said was the oil was just plain old 5W-30, nothing special.... Now try that in your German car! LOL

Anyone who has a BMW/Mercedes/VW/Audi knows the supreme hassle of getting "approved" oils.  It points out Italian engineering versus German. Italian is typically much more "elegant".

Re: Maintenance intervals

Small Car Lover
I just read in this article the 500 has a 150,000 mile timing belt replacement interval.  The review also stated it's a interference design.

Sorry if this has already been posted.

I like the long interval!

Re: Maintenance intervals

Fiat500USA wrote
One of the cool things the engineer in charge of the 1.4L MiltiAir said was the oil was just plain old 5W-30, nothing special.... Now try that in your German car! LOL

Anyone who has a BMW/Mercedes/VW/Audi knows the supreme hassle of getting "approved" oils.  It points out Italian engineering versus German. Italian is typically much more "elegant".
 I put synthetic in all my cars (except my 81 Fiat Spider). Prob will with this car to at some point.

Re: Maintenance intervals

CaliberSRT4
I think Chris was talking about the specific brands and types of synthetic. I looked on BMW's website and I have to admit it is a bit ridiculous how you are recommended to such such expensive oil from very specific brands and what not.

Synthetic oil is what I use for my own cars. I feed my car Mobil 1 that I buy for $30 for 5 quarts and a Mobil 1 filter. That price is quite reasonable to me for the quality of the oil. But for the free maintenance included with the Fiat 500, I would take advantage and get the free oil changes. Probably after that I would switch over to synthetic though. Synthetic gives you a bit of a buffer, so if you run over a bit past your change interval, the oil will still be in good shape probably. If you use conventional oil and abuse your car a bit, you would want to change the oil more frequently than the normal interval.

Re: Maintenance intervals

Yeah, I'm the same way, I use synthetic in my cars, too.

Another cool thing in the 500's engine is a viscosity sensor and a special filter on the back of the head that traps any particles before they go into the MultiAir valve mechanisms.

Re: Maintenance intervals

Springer2011
I bet that Fiat may use synthetic motor oil from the factory since they are using a sytem that adjusts valve lift hydraulically. My Dodge Challenger SRT 8 uses this and I think there is a service bulletin out for the late model 5.7 liter hemis with MDS to use synthetic oil only and to use the factory spec viscosity.

Re: Maintenance intervals

Springer2011 wrote
I bet that Fiat may use synthetic motor oil from the factory since they are using a sytem that adjusts valve lift hydraulically. My Dodge Challenger SRT 8 uses this and I think there is a service bulletin out for the late model 5.7 liter hemis with MDS to use synthetic oil only and to use the factory spec viscosity.
Don't know what the factory fill will be, but the engineer in charge of the engine said no need to use synthetic (although I will).  I think it points to the efficiency of Italian engineering as opposed to "over engineering" typical of German makes.

Re: Maintenance intervals

CaliberSRT4
I doubt the Fiat 500 will have synthetic as factory fill. For one, that doesn't seem necessary. For two, the free oil changes would have to be synthetic, costing more money.

Yes, it is standard for the SRT vehicles to have synthetic oil because they are high performance, not necessarily because they use variable valve timing. The regular versions of those cars use conventional oil as far as I know. Likewise, I expect the Fiat 500 Abarth will use synthetic.

Re: Maintenance intervals

Fiat500USA wrote
Springer2011 wrote
I bet that Fiat may use synthetic motor oil from the factory since they are using a sytem that adjusts valve lift hydraulically. My Dodge Challenger SRT 8 uses this and I think there is a service bulletin out for the late model 5.7 liter hemis with MDS to use synthetic oil only and to use the factory spec viscosity.
Don't know what the factory fill will be, but the engineer in charge of the engine said no need to use synthetic (although I will).  I think it points to the efficiency of Italian engineering as opposed to "over engineering" typical of German makes.
I will use synthetic too, once oil changes are on me.

Re: Maintenance intervals

MrJones
Actually, I have heard that synthetic oil is not great for the break-in period on a new car. The engine needs a little friction during that period.
Also, don't forget to upgrade your filter if you go with synthetic

Re: Maintenance intervals

Gavin
Only keeping my PE two years, so all maintainance will be covered by Fiat...whatever fluids they want to use is fine by me...

One I get my EV motorcycle this summer and my EV Fiat 500 in early 2013, well I will never need to worry about oil changes, or gas stations, again. That will be a happy time.

Gavin

Re: Maintenance intervals

CaliberSRT4
Those are myths about synthetic oil. See here:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Myths.aspx

Of course, you should change your oil filter at every change interval, for both conventional and synthetic.

Re: Maintenance intervals

sjmst
CaliberSRT4 wrote
Those are myths about synthetic oil. See here:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Myths.aspx

Of course, you should change your oil filter at every change interval, for both conventional and synthetic.
Interesting, thanks.

Re: Maintenance intervals

MrJones
"those are myths about synthetic oil" so says the oil company!

At any rate, it's just something I remember hearing, and it was probably a long time ago back when engines needed a break-in period. I think if you are going to do synthetic, do it from the start. Down the road, your engine won't benefit appreciably from changing to synthetics.

My other point is that there are inferior filters that do not maximize the advantages of the synthetic oil. Upgrade your filter too.

Re: Maintenance intervals

CaliberSRT4
You may question the source of the information, but it is still the truth. There are other websites and experts that know about synthetic oil myths. Needless to say, if there were negative effects to using synthetic oil in brand new cars, it wouldn't be put in such expensive cars from the factory.

Switching to synthetic at any time is not a problem. You can switch back and forth between conventional and synthetic at will. I disagree that there is any set period of time which makes the oil benefits more or less effective. After say 50k miles, switching to synthetic would offer the same comparison to conventional. Helps with cold starts, flows well at very high/low temperatures, improved fuel economy, and the oil lasts longer. Just the usual benefits from a higher-grade oil that flows better. Sure, you missed out on those benefits during the time you were using conventional. But that doesn't mean you can't switch at any point. It's not like if you put conventional oil in your car then your car is contaminated and synthetic won't help it.

Yes, a better oil filter would perform better at removing contaminants, even though any normal oil filter can still be used with synthetic.

I always buy my oil at the same Autozone deal that happens every 2-3 months.
5 quarts Mobil 1 0W-40 European Formula
1 Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter
Total cost: $29.99

Re: Maintenance intervals

Springer2011
The majority of cars made today use sythetic motor oil from the factory. I agree with others that not using synthetic during break in is a myth. The oil chemistry and engine machining and manufacturing processes have improved so much in the last 20 years that all the old oil myths are out the window, like 3000 mile oil changes.

Every car I have purchased since 2005 has had synthetic from the factory. I think all diesels use synthetic now and it is required. New diesel engines are not supposed to use regular oils. Some of the synthetics for diesels are $ 15-20 per quart. Regular oil really hurts the piezo electronic injectors on new diesels. Some warranties are very specific as to oil specs, especially for European cars.

Best thing to do is to just follow the factory recommended oil change intervals, brand, viscosity.

I always ask the dealer I am going to for an oil change the first time what type, brand and viscosity oil they use as well as filter. You may find they may not use exactly what came from the factory. I just learned to do this the last year unfortunately.

If they don't I go to Walmart and buy the exact oil from the factory and let them know to use factory filter just to make sure.

Here is a story. I brought my 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 in for first oil change in July 2009. After the work was complete I asked the dealer if they used Mobil 1. They said Chrysler did not have a contract with Mobil 1 any longer and had a contract with Penzoil. This was just BS. So the second oil change I bought the right Mobil 1 and told them to use this. When they finished that job they said we made sure we put on a Mopar filter sometimes we use aftermarket filters. I called Chrysler customer service and they said they have no control over what dealers do. BUYER BEWARE HERE

Message is to always ask the dealer you use, if you do not already know, what they use for oil and filter before you drop off car and buy your own oil if needed.

Re: Maintenance intervals

sketch
That's basically what I've been doing—bringing Mobil 1 into the Toyota dealership and letting them do it for me, usually out of laziness and 'cause I knew a few guys that worked there.

Also gonna second everything CaliberSRT4 said, for the record.

Re: Maintenance intervals

CaliberSRT4
Can you bring them the filter as well? That way you give them the oil and filter so they just perform the change and disposal. I change my own oil, but if I didn't I would do like you both are saying and bring my own oil to have changed.

Reason I ask about the filter is because some other Caliber SRT4 owners for example have had some places try to put on the oil filter for the regular Caliber. But I guess if you had the normal filter type for a certain car, that wouldn't be a problem.

By the way springer, that is interesting that you have a Challenger SRT8. Completely opposite end of the spectrum from a Fiat 500, haha. It has a very nice looking retro design, they have a ton of road presence whenever I see them. Yours is an automatic I take it? I would've gotten the stick.

Re: Maintenance intervals

sketch
Yeah, I don't see why not.  When I changed my oil myself I bought my filter from the Toyota dealership anyway, though.

Re: Maintenance intervals

CaliberSRT4
The Mobil 1 deal is perfect for me because my car takes 5 quarts and the filter is included as well, for $30 total. So it seems to be cheaper than buying the oil separate from the filter. The Fiat 500 uses 4 quarts of oil though.
123