Insurance?

Re: Insurance?

PE#454
I called my insurance company, Liberty Mutual, earlier in the week. The person I spoke with told me my insurance would go up a little over $300 annually over my current MINI S (have the figures at work and they were rough estimates to begin with.) She said this was on collision due to its size and the likelihood it would be totaled if involved in a serious wreck. I currently pay roughly $1000 annually and this is with every discount they can offer me (group through work, +home, age, driving distance to work, no claims, etc.) Of course, they didn't have the car in their system yet, anyway, so the figure is subject to change.

Re: Insurance?

Vlad92
jvsgabriel wrote
I tried to get a quote from Progressive, my insurance carrier today.  I tried this morning, and still no reply back yet.  I had to leave an email for them as I didn't have enough time to call.   I let them know that the Fiat is back and that they might want to update their system.  Gave them basic information about the car: horsepower, airbags, ABS, traction control, and the like.  This was to try to get them to see the car as the most docile and unassuming car for the best rates.  We shall see if this helps with the insurance premiums.  As someone else pointed out that they might see it as a very small car, therefore a very unsafe car.

I will post what they have to say, when they get back to me.  Which hopefully will be sooner than later.  I sure hope that they will be reasonable with the rates.  Sure hope they don't see it as inherently unsafe due to its size.

Joel
I also called Progressive and tried to get a quote (since I have my VIN now).  They quoted me $580 / 6 months.  I asked why this is so high (I only pay $324 / 6 months for my 2011 Genesis V8 which is a $43K car) and they said it is because the Fiat is not yet in there system so they are insuring it strictly by the MSRP.  Once it gets added the cost will re-price automatically.  I currently pay $87 / 6 months for my 2008 Smart Car.  Hopefully they will add it soon and price it close to the Smart!

Re: Insurance?

Vlad92
Now that deliveries have begun I'm bumping this thread up...  can I get some options of insurance companies that have the 500 in their system?  Progressive is still saying it is not in their system so I'm looking for alternatives.  Thanks!

Re: Insurance?

SeaDawg
State Farm had it in their system over 2 weeks ago.  It was listed Under Chrysler.  It was actually $21 cheaper per 6 months than my current Chevy HHR.

Re: Insurance?

prima 109
I pay $288 for 6 months with ANPAC driving around 7500 a yaer and with multi-car discount.
Craig #109 Rosso with sunroof/post assembly block heater.

Re: Insurance?

Pink Buddha
Mercury Insurance has it in their system - even for just an online quote.

Re: Insurance?

prima 109
I got my official insurance ID cards today for my Fiat.  It lists it as a Chrysler 500 2dr sport.  Has anyone else had this?
Craig #109 Rosso with sunroof/post assembly block heater.

Re: Insurance?

SpidArman
Encompass (an Alstate Company), has charged me almost $1100.  That is about $80 shy of our 09 Audi A4 Avant.   Sheeez.  that seems a little ridiculous.  Now, we have $500,000 coverage  with a $500 deductible, but still.   As much as a car that was more than twice the price two years ago?

Arman
Prima Edizone #419 Rosso/Sunroof/EB Heater

Re: Insurance?

Terry
Hi Folks:

Got a quote w/o vin number from GEICO that was a few dollars cheaper than my 2004 RX-8 (Around $250 for 6 months, $500 deductible, full comp/liability, etc)---May vary once I get the vin.

Re: Insurance?

prima 109 wrote
I got my official insurance ID cards today for my Fiat.  It lists it as a Chrysler 500 2dr sport.  Has anyone else had this?
Mine (Geico) Says 2012 Fiat 500

Re: Insurance?

lirandy
SeaDawg wrote
State Farm had it in their system over 2 weeks ago.  It was listed Under Chrysler.  It was actually $21 cheaper per 6 months than my current Chevy HHR.
I have State Farm too, and when I emailed my agent to change my insurance, the agent told me they DIDN'T have the Fiat 500 in their system.  They had to quote my car based on MSRP.  Now, my car is around $460/ 6 months, 100k/300k/50k, $500 comprehensive & $1k collision, UM....

prima 109 wrote
I got my official insurance ID cards today for my Fiat.  It lists it as a Chrysler 500 2dr sport.  Has anyone else had this?
Mine (State Farm) lists as Chrysler Fiat 500....
#485 Bianco w/ sunroof
Always miss my Subies....

Re: Insurance?

Vlad92
Progressive has finally added the car to their system.  It is listed as the Fiat 500.  My 6 month premium is $209.  I applied for the SnapShot device and will install that once it comes.  That gave me an additional 29% discount on my Smart Car so I'm hoping similar results for the Prima.

Re: Insurance?

jamesday24
Allstate did not have it in their system when I called earlier this week.  I gave them the sticker price and a list of the safety features and was quoted about $400 for 6 months.  But they lowered my MINI insurance using the multi-car discount.  I hope it comes down a bit when they finally put it in.
Bianco Prima Edizione 345 from Fields FIAT

Re: Insurance?

Prima148
When I go to Progressive online I still can't find Fiat, either under Chrysler or otherwise, nothing with VIN either.

Also, my dealer said they wouldn't accept an insurance card with Chrysler on it, so had to have Geico change it for me.

Chris
(Prima 148, pending)

Re: Insurance?

Vlad92
It must not be online yet... but it is in their back office system.  I added mine to my policy (using the VIN).  It gave me an error and said it required special processing.  It took 2 weeks to process and finally showed up a few days ago as added to my policy.  Here is the breakdown:

Re: Insurance?

75Spider
You must not have any young drivers on your policy, we still have a 22 year old and our '08 smart is the highest between 3 cars (in addition to the smart, an '09 VW Routan (minivan -- cheap to insure) and an '06 Mazda3 GT 5-door) -- also have a '99 Miata on collectable insurance for $190/ year (yes, not six months!; no drivers under 25 on that one). When we got the smart we had two drivers under 25 and it was close to $600/6 months; the Miata was going up to $748! so that's when I switched it to this other insurance; now the smart is down to $498/6 months. This reminds me to check the Fiat against anything else we might get. The collector car insurance I have is 5K miles per year but you can take the car to work and do errands, etc. as long as you have another 'primary' car insured. It's an agreed value policy that as long as you state a value within what their records show for that vehicle (of course along with several photos showing you own the vehicle) they will pay full value if it gets totaled versus some arbritary blue book, etc. I know these guys do Ford GT's, BMW Z8's, etc. but these were limited edition and now out of production cars so will have to see if the PE's are to be considered 'special interest' enough -- BTW, the Fields in Highland Park says that he still has two PE's in stock as of yesterday.

Re: Insurance?

Mike S
I have Hagerty for my PE so the numbered edition did help.

I did have to insist (I have other cars with them) and I had already spoken with them last year when no insurance company would insure it. At the time, I could not get the VIN and I had to wait until I knew it.

Re: Insurance?

DennisLee
Just got my Sport insured today. State Farm. Lot`s of deals if I add house.

Not ready to do that.

So, here it is:

Wife and I 70 years old. Excellent driving records. Now two cars with this agent.
Limit: 100/300/100. Comprehensive. Collision $250.00 deductible.
Emergency road service fee.
Uninsure motorist 100/300
6 months premium: $356.87

Reduced  first car by $79.00 when due in a few months.

If I add house, will save almost $300.00 in car insurance.

DennisLee

Re: Insurance?

5*(10)^2
Vlad,

That's a really good deal for your Smart. You included house as well? Or just cars only?

Re: Insurance?

mtnroadbiker
fyi -- Liberty Mutual rate for mine (#483) is annual $556 with 100/300/100 and ded of comp 100 and collision 500
123