Friday

sam500
Okay, I was a bit hesitant to post this for several reasons. First, it's essentially a side-note on a January 26 about.com article that I ran into by accident. Second, I didn't want to get people too excited over what could be nothing. However, it's Thursday night and there's a certain something in the air, so what the heck...

At the end of this article there is a pretty interesting, almost matter of fact blurb.

" I know that many of you are anxious to read about the new Chrysler 300 and Fiat 500. The embargo lifts on Friday, and I've got another press junket between now and then, but I'm writing as fast as I can -- so please bear with me and stay tuned! -- Aaron Gold"

I'm not really sure what this "embargo" means, but it definitely peaked my curiosity. Maybe we'll know more tomorrow?

Here's the link to the full article.

http://cars.about.com/b/2011/01/26/a-chrysler-engineer-talks-about-working-for-fiat.htm

Re: Friday

Vlad92
Will it be shock and awe.... or subtle delight?  I'll take either at this point!  Although that "mid-February" date we have been hearing about IS only 3 weeks away now so I would expect to hear more soon.

Re: Friday

Gavin
One aspect that we haven't heard or talked about could and should be discussed soon...

Buying, money, payment...especially for us people who don't have a nearby dealer up and running

Who do we buy from? Fiat directly? The nearest dealer up and running? Are any up and running yet?
From any chyrsler dealer?
Is there financing? A lease option? Etc etc.

Gavin

Re: Friday

sam500 wrote
[...]

Hi All,

I have been MIA here because I've been away at the same exclusive media event that Aaron was at. I've said it before, the Auto Industry is all top secret stuff.  We were all instructed not to divulge ANY information until Friday 12:01 AM. I couldn't even mention where I was going. This is to keep it fair so no one person in the media can get the jump on releasing information. I take my commitment to the good folks at Chrysler very seriously.

This was a very high level event and I was privileged to talk with the Chrysler engineers, product planners responsible for the 500 and visit a little with Laura.

I have a lot of information that will be posted.  The first is the official EPA fuel economy figures....

Re: Friday

sam500
Thanks for all this Chris!! There is as of 12:01 today lot of information out there RE: FIAT :)

Re: Friday

Gavin
Thanks Chris...can't wait to here what you've found out.

I recommend lots of coffee and blogging until carpal tunnel sets in....but then you might prefer to take it a bit slower :)

Gavin

Re: Friday

Vlad92
Awesome... looking forward to the info Chris!  I'm not sure what the virtual equivalent of buying you a beer is, but we owe you one!

Re: Friday

cinquecento
I'd say a KEG might be more à propos
398 -> 24

Re: Friday

Giallo Edizione
Does that explain why all three full length articles reviewing the 500 came out simutaneously with 12/27 byline dates? ( Automobile, Autoguide, MotorTrend) I read them all this morning. Great to see all three so positive.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Friday

5hundy
Need more info!

I just sold my audi today so I'm stuck in minivan-hell until my PE arrives.

In response to the financing question, up here in Canaduh, financing is done through the closest dealer.  I've already been in and signed all the papers.  Just have to initial them once they get the VIN.

Re: Friday

Giallo Edizione
All the articles had EPA ratings of 30/38 for the manual transmission.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Friday

TopoRosso wrote
Does that explain why all three full length articles reviewing the 500 came out simutaneously with 12/27 byline dates? ( Automobile, Autoguide, MotorTrend) I read them all this morning. Great to see all three so positive.

Yes, we were all there. Here's what happened:  There were three waves of journalists invited over the last few weeks. We were given the honor of driving the car and meeting/schmoozing with the Fiat and Chrysler team for three days. The stipulation was not to write/mention ANYTHING until Friday at 12:01AM. This was in fairness to the folks (like me) who were on the last wave of the event.

The highlight of this great time was when Laura introduced me to the crowd of journalists (a surprise) and came over to me after her presentation to talk. We sat down and discussed a few things, and I will tell you, there is no one more passionate and focused on taking care of us. She has a deep appreciation of all of us who signed up and is aware of our concerns and is devoted to getting us our cars. She is working on getting us information quicker, which is a challenge in HUGE companies where messages have to go through "proper channels" and it's not as easy as just typing an email and hitting send.

The great news is there is a lot going on that we don't see. Training began 4 months ago, 300 Fiat Studio people will be in California next week for intense training followed by more training all month long. There is SO much going on that I can't even scratch the surface.

But I'll try;)

Re: Friday

Giallo Edizione
I have had other interactions with Chrysler on my other car, an SRT8. When these were introduced back in late 2005 and 2006, the Chrysler SRT design and engineering team would arrange to sign on to the then most popular forum for a back and forth chat with forum members, about once a month for an hour or so. They were usually pretty forthcoming, and if they could not answer a question because of confidentiality they would say so. Occasionally even Ralph Gilles (the then head of the Chryser 300 design team and now head of the Dodge brand I think) would join in. It was a great experience and worth thinking about arranging here if you have a good relationshipw with Laura.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Friday

spindoc
All together now: "THANKS AGAIN CHRIS!!!"

Re: Friday

sam500
Fiat500USA wrote
The highlight of this great time was when Laura introduced me to the crowd of journalists (a surprise) and came over to me after her presentation to talk. We sat down and discussed a few things, and I will tell you, there is no one more passionate and focused on taking care of us.
I think it's great that she understands what an important asset for FIAT and Chrysler you are!! Thanks to your blog, many of the most passionate, invested, and excited FIAT followers (you included) have been given a space to get together, share information, and discuss pretty much anything and everything regarding this car :)

Re: Friday

spindoc wrote
All together now: "THANKS AGAIN CHRIS!!!"
  Yes!

Re: Friday

sam500
Love some of the reviews the 500 is getting!! One of my personal favorites so far:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/1101_2012_fiat_500/performance.html

Re: Friday

sketch
Ah-hey, Loverman wrote it!  Friend of mine, great guy.  Best writer Motor Trend's got, too.  Off to read, thanks!

Re: Friday

JustWilliam
 "Thanks Again Chris!"
“You can safely assume that you've created god in your own image when it turns out that god hates all the same people you do.”

Anne Lamott

Re: Friday

JustWilliam wrote
 "Thanks Again Chris!"
Thanks again. I am really lucky to have a really great bunch of members here. I appreciate everyone who takes time and posts or just stops by and hangs out. I'm learning so much from all of you!

Chris