Dash Vibrations

burukut
Hey guys! Prima #389 here.
I have vibrations in dash and shifter area everytime i accelerate on first and second gear. Took it to dealership, they said they also felt the noise and so replaced the top part of the dash- the part that has the vents by the windscreen. Noise remained even as I drove away from the dealership that day after picking it up.
I know its a small car but these vibrations are not normal. I already burnt 8 days at my local dealer and am not convinced they knew what I was talking about.
Am thinking of taking it to a different dealer.
Anyway, has anyone else felt these vibrations?

Re: Dash Vibrations

sjmst
I think there was a slight vib now and then but nothing that bothered me.

Re: Dash Vibrations

burukut
Am curious. Does it happen when your car is cold? Because mine is amplified in the mornings.

Re: Dash Vibrations

Alvon Elrod
At what rpm do you experience the vibration?  Mine has a vibration at 2800 - 3100 rpm, any gear, including neutral.

Alvon
Alvon Elrod, #18 White, no sunroof
1970 Fiat 124 spider

Re: Dash Vibrations

sjmst
Alvon Elrod wrote
At what rpm do you experience the vibration?  Mine has a vibration at 2800 - 3100 rpm, any gear, including neutral.

Alvon
Same here

Re: Dash Vibrations

burukut
Hey Alvon,
That is exactly what I described to my dealership, mine vibrates at the same range of rpms. I revved it on neutral but it didn't vibrate.
But sounds like its the same issue as yours. I talked to Chris via email and he says that Fiat is now aware of it and are working on a solution.
Personally, it only bugs me because its a brand new vehicle. I would easily let it go it was an old vehicle.
But yeah, other than that we have close to 5k miles on the car. We drive it everywhere.
I also noticed that when the engine is cold like in the mornings, the vibration is intensified.
I told Chris this and he passed on the information to Fiat.
Hopefully I will hear from them with a solution soon because I dont want to take it to the dealer who doesn't really know how to deal with it.

Re: Dash Vibrations

Giallo Edizione
Is this an audible vibration or rather something you feel, like in the steering wheel, touching dash, or whatever?
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Dash Vibrations

Mike S
I am getting a rattle behind the dash, is that what you are talking about?

Re: Dash Vibrations

5*(10)^2
burukut wrote
Personally, it only bugs me because its a brand new vehicle. I would easily let it go it was an old vehicle.
Sam that is exactly what my stance has been since I took delivery. This IS a brand new car. And regardless of the price, the car has to meet a minimum QC.

There is this cognitive dissonance going around..ie "I like Fiat and I support their return, therefore it's ok for things to rattle, flake, fail, etc". This is NOT ok. The sooner Fiat knows about the issues, they sooner they can remedy the issues!

Re: Dash Vibrations

burukut
The vibration is very audible and is not felt in the steering. Its the dash vibrating. It feels like some cushioning/ buffer is missing. Vibrations come from engine through dash as I rev.

Re: Dash Vibrations

burukut
Yes! This is exactly what am talking about! It sounds like it is buried within dash and at times comes through the A/C part of the dash for me.

Re: Dash Vibrations

burukut
I completely agree! By the way, I spent 22K+ on mine so I am pissed that it doesnt sound like a brand new car-its supposed to be quiet with no rattling, just engine revs should be heard.
I have to say though, that me and my wife still love this car- we now have over 4k miles on it! Like I said in previous postings, my dealership clearly doesn't know how to deal with this because they chose to replace the upper part of the dash-the vibration still remained.
I am therefore waiting for Fiat to make a proper recall on this issue- this way the dealership has a valid fix.

Re: Dash Vibrations

burukut
Oh by the way, I should have been clearer, other than it being audible (especially after a cold start), the A/C section has vibrations that can be felt on my hand.

Re: Dash Vibrations

Alvon Elrod
I've never noticed the vibrations in the dash.  What I observe is very noticeably audible, and can feel it in the floorboard.  Seems to be something resonating in the engine, and transferring to the rest of the car.  In my Eco mode of driving, I hardly ever encounter it now until 5th gear, since I hardly ever take the engine up past 2000 - 2500 rpm except for in 5th gear.  The bummer is that it is almost always vibrating for my normal commute driving for 40+ miles each way to work, or any other freeway driving, since the 2800 - 3100 rpm range correlates to my normal cruising speeds between 65 - 75 mph.  I'm sure that the constant vibration in this range is not good for the car, and am hoping that Fiat can find a solution before parts begin to fatigue and break from all the vibration.

Alvon
Alvon Elrod, #18 White, no sunroof
1970 Fiat 124 spider

Re: Dash Vibrations

Prima148
I guess I'll add my non-vibrating experience, if only as a datapoint.  I rev high, as eco drive is constantly reminding me, so 3K shifts are typical.  I'm not feeling/hearing what others are talking about.  There *is* occasional fun shifting from 1-2, though I'm pretty certain that's down to be a being a novice shift driver.

Re: Dash Vibrations

SeaDawg
Prima148 wrote
I guess I'll add my non-vibrating experience, if only as a datapoint.  I rev high, as eco drive is constantly reminding me, so 3K shifts are typical.  I'm not feeling/hearing what others are talking about.  There *is* occasional fun shifting from 1-2, though I'm pretty certain that's down to be a being a novice shift driver.
I typically shift between 2800-3000 on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts.  I haven't experienced any untoward vibration either.  I'll be attentive on the 150 mile trip over to Sarasota on Wednesday to see if I notice anything cruising at speed on the super slab.

I'll pass on the shifting fun, which is NOT to say that I haven't managed to stall 'The Lady in Red' on takeoff at least once since I got her.  You'd think that would be an impossibility after 40 years of driving mostly stick shifts.

LOVE the Cinquecento.  Other than a little paint scrape by the side of the rear hatch which was touched up before I accepted her and the skirt or plastic cladding below the drivers side door which will hopefully be fixed on Wednesday when I go to Sarasota, nothing has broken or failed to work.  I'll have to try the Blue & Me to see if my ancient Sanyo phone will work with it.

I hadn't owned a Fiat since the mid 70's when I bought this one and the two cars are in different worlds.  The first was a 600 with NO air, power anything and 12" diameter tires, I think.  It got TOASTY in Morocco in the summertime!

NO, it is NOT because it IS a Fiat that I say positive things.  Rolex watches, Rolls Royce cars, all things mechanical sometime develop problems and it doesn't mean it's the end of the world.  YOUR mileage may vary!

Re: Dash Vibrations

burukut
Hi SeaDawg,
My vibrations die after second gear. I see how having them through your entire drive can be annoying. I have had them since the first day of purchase. I would have caught it before the purchase but they only let us drive the demo car with the assumption that the Prima drove the same. They didnt let anyone test drive the Primas because they did not want mileage on them.
Anyway, I have 4400 miles on mine now and the vibrations have remained constant- they havent increased and I forget about them during a long drive. Its only when I stop and start that am reminded of them.
I have to say so, they have not reduced the driving pleasure of the car for me. I just want my money's worth on the car- no rattles!

Re: Dash Vibrations

Duncan
I have had the same problem. I've had mine for 3 weeks and its been in three times. The dashboard seems to squeak as though the platics are rubbing against each other. I am now on the verge of giving up and just raising the volumn of the radio up. It mainly occures on uneven road surfaces.

Re: Dash Vibrations

seniyajw
Sure, the US version can be tuned somewhat by modifying the ECU chip, but that will not compare to the turbo and all the other modifications. My prima will be going up for sale as soon as the Abarth is available.

Re: Dash Vibrations

carlosshane1477
it should be under this fiat tsb... the company have other solution on the recalls made.
12