Cost

John Reid
I'm interested as to if any dealers will try to sell above MSRP.  When the Mini first came out in American it was a practice of some dealers to add a percentage increase above the MSRP.  Does anyone have information of any Fiat dealers actually considering this, or comments from Fiat as to what their feelings would be on the practice?  It didn't last too long with the Mini as it did drive away potential customers.

Re: Cost

Minuszka
This info that got just posted today is not very specific or providing security to the buyers:
"3. What is the price of the Prima Edizione model? The suggested price for each vehicle is MSRP. However, the final transaction price will be determined between the dealer and the Prima purchaser."
I fon't know what to do with this? Does it mean it could be negotiated lower, or that the dealer can add what they feel like? It is tricky, since in this case, especially with the Primas, one can't just go to the next dealership on the list and try to find agreement elsewhere. This puts the dealer in position against the buyer.
The dealer I've called yesterday already declared a $500 doc. fee, while it has been stated on this site that $55 is what Motor Village LA is charging and that hundreds of Dollars is excessive.
About your question, the dealer I've talked yesterday did bring up the "market adjustment" quickly, and graciously indicated that they will probably not apply it for the Primas...

Re: Cost

cinquecento
Speaking of cost, when they had originally stated that we'd have to sign a purchase agreement by Dec 31, 2010, would this have included the vehicle's purchase price? I'm a bit confused why we have yet to see a purchase agreement as the cars are on the horizon now.  Did they realize that customers would prefer drive the cars before agreeing to buy them?

I also have questions regarding financing and stuff like that--I haven't heard any mention of financial issues other than price yet.  I sure hope the foreseeable resale on these is as high as it should be because Minis get incredible financing and lease rates as a result!
398 -> 24

Re: Cost

sketch
I hope they don't.  I remember the days when some dealers were still charging $2000 over MSRP for the Prius... two years later!

As for financing, that's something you have to talk to your dealer about.  I don't know any more, since I told him we'd worry about that later.

Re: Cost

Gavin
While I appreciate all Chris is doing...ha I'm still confused.

Home delivery doesnt seem to be from Fiat, but from the approved studios...so since my local dealer isn't approved for prima delivery, I will have to pick an out of state dealer...so no home delivery ( or real expensive home delivery might be an option).

Price. 19,500 with destination charges included...plus 850 for sunroof. That was what Fiat promised in an email (one of the few straight promises from Fiat)....now I haven't seen any paperwork and the price is a bit vague.

Financing....talk to dealer...Which dealer??

Still happy. Still getting it. Still LOVE this site and all Chris does....

But still don't know where my car is going, who my dealer will be, what price I will be paying and what type of financing....

Pretty big questions for a car I've never sat in...

Still smiling though... :)

Gavin

Re: Cost

sjmst
MSRP is Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price. Ok, so no guarantee either way. BUT, Ms. Laura said there would be a no haggle policy. What, that doesn't apply to Prima Owners?

I want the Prima because I want the 500 ASAP.

So far, I got.

Limited Choices as to colors and options
Mixed messages as to delivery
Vague info as to the car itself
Poor Customer service (the car is BUILT, yet the info line cannot tell us what a graphite bezel is...despite many people asking?)

So far, not so good. If the dealer tries to sell me above MSRP I will contact Fiat and rant, and if they don't care, I may pass on the Prima.

Having said that, I am a huge cheerleader for Fiat. I am only being critical here as I consider it a limited audience board, and thus a good place just to vent. Plus. I know glitches are part of any new enterprise. I just think things could be clearer and faster.

By all of us expressing our thoughts and feelings, we do Fiat a great service.  I appreciate the constructive way this is approached, even in the hour of our frustration.  I think it will ultimately make them stronger and benefit us all.  Your opinions matter here and they are heard...  don't be surprised who's listening.

Re: Cost

Hi Minuszka,

Wow, $500, did they explain what that was for? I sold cars for years, I don't remember if we charged a doc fee at some places I worked and if we did, it was like $20.  I'll look it up.  I think it was for the clerk to draw up the MV papers, get the lien release, etc. Back then we had to go and wait at the DMV to get plates.

I'm amazed I can't remember! Old age. LOL

Seriously, they need to explain exactly why so much money. Are they mistakingly adding destination into the Prima price (it is included).

Let us know.

Re: Cost

CaliberSRT4
Destination should be about $750, though as you mentioned it is included in the Prima MSRP.

The doc fees seem to be highly dependent on your location. In some areas the doc fees are high, other areas low. There doesn't appear to be much you can do about it aside from buying out of state or something.

In the following thread one person mentions how he has tried to get the $400 doc fee dropped on multiple occasions but the dealers never budge.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/raleigh-durham-chapel-hill-cary/736871-buying-new-car-doc-fee.html

Also, this chart on Edmunds might be helpful as it lists the fees for each state. As you can see, the fees vary greatly from state to state.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/what-fees-should-you-pay.html

Re: Cost

sjmst
Thanks, that chart is helpful!

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/what-fees-should-you-pay.html
Indeed! Very helpful and one people should really have an idea of BEFORE they sign the papers.

Re: Cost

Vlad92
For what it's worth I just spent the last 3 days finding a replacement for my daily driver which was coming off lease next month (with the Prima coming I didn't want to deal with getting 2 cars in the same month).  I was charged $199.50 for doc fee and $10 for title fee for my new car (Hyundai Dealer).  From recent experience this charge has ranged from $0 (Saab Dealer) to $279 for my Smart Car.

Re: Cost

CaliberSRT4
And now we know why Motor Village is charging only $55 for the doc fee. Because that is the legal limit in CA.

Prudence would suggest not jumping to the conclusion that the dealer is trying to swindle you when the high fees could merely be a regional issue.

Ideally you would want to compare fees with someone from the same state as you. Otherwise the fees might not be comparable due to state legislation.

Re: Cost

Very interesting. I only sold cars in NY, and like I said, it was only $20. Anyone would want to get out of waiting at the DMV for $20!

Still, I can't believe it's so high at places. I don't see any reason for it.

Re: Cost

Gavin wrote
While I appreciate all Chris is doing...ha I'm still confused.

Home delivery doesn't seem to be from Fiat, but from the approved studios...so since my local dealer isn't approved for prima delivery, I will have to pick an out of state dealer...so no home delivery ( or real expensive home delivery might be an option).

Price. 19,500 with destination charges included...plus 850 for sunroof. That was what Fiat promised in an email (one of the few straight promises from Fiat)....now I haven't seen any paperwork and the price is a bit vague....
Hi Gavin,

We are buying the car from the dealer, it's not the manufacturer. The manufacturer has a "suggested retail price", but the dealer sets the actual selling price.  NOW, the whole idea of the Prima was to put the car into the hands of Fiat enthusiasts so we can be the ambassadors of the brand. Charging over retail flies in the face of this, so I hope this doesn't happen.  The Prima folks don't have choices of shopping other dealers.

I'm sure Fiat wouldn't be happy about that.

Re: Cost

CaliberSRT4
New York has the lowest doc fee limit in the entire country ($45). However, the sales tax is a bit higher than many other states.

Re: Cost

sketch
Imagine how I feel about the sales tax in Louisiana! :\

Re: Cost

Vlad92
No call yet, but just got an email answer from the Kansas City dealer (where my Prima will most likely be delivered) in regard to my question on the price and associated fees:

"MSRP plus our $299 admin fee and 11.00 govt fee."

Re: Cost

CaliberSRT4 wrote
New York has the lowest doc fee limit in the entire country ($45). However, the sales tax is a bit higher than many other states.

My sales tax is 8.75% (based on the county and other deals the pols have going), so maybe it evens out.  I remember sometimes selling cars at invoice or a little above. We never bumped the price with fees.  We just dealt with it, a deals a deal, or we would say "half a loaf is better than no loaf".

I know all about how much it costs to run a dealership, especially in NY. I'm just surprised what goes on in other states.

Re: Cost

csluyuan