Break-In Period on New 500?

Michael
Anyone know what the suggested break in period and etc. of the 500 is?

Re: Break-In Period on New 500?

Alvon Elrod
Somewhere in one of the documents (user manual, DVD, elsewhere?), I read suggestions to baby it for the first 300 miles with top speeds in the 50 - 55 mph range.  It also suggested that you put it under load (floor it??) when in the cruising gear to help seat in the rings.

Alvon
Alvon Elrod, #18 White, no sunroof
1970 Fiat 124 spider

Re: Break-In Period on New 500?

Alvon Elrod
Ah, found it on the DVD:

A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.

Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.

While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws, contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.

The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended viscosity and quality grades refer to “Maintenance Procedures” in “Maintaining Your Vehicle”. NON-DETERGENT OR STRAIGHT MINERAL OILS MUST NEVER BE USED.

A new engine may consume some oil during its first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This should be considered a normal part of the break-in and not interpreted as an indication of difficulty.
Alvon Elrod, #18 White, no sunroof
1970 Fiat 124 spider

Basically the same break-in advice since the beginning of time. Drive at moderate speeds, important to vary your speed ( which also means no lengthy idling) and no burnouts for the first 500 miles. After that, have fun.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Break-In Period on New 500?

CaliberSRT4
Giallo Edizione wrote
Basically the same break-in advice since the beginning of time. Drive at moderate speeds, important to vary your speed ( which also means no lengthy idling) and no burnouts for the first 500 miles. After that, have fun.
They are good recommendations, and certainly can't hurt to follow.

Also, don't forget to break-in your tires:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4558069_break-new-car-tires.html

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/selecting-the-correct-tire-for-your-needs/breaking-in-your-new-tires

Re: Break-In Period on New 500?

Michael wrote
Anyone know what the suggested break in period and etc. of the 500 is?
I believe unloading from rail car and holding in storage lot for three weeks is what Fiat suggests.

Re: Break-In Period on New 500?

Giallo Edizione
sjmst wrote
Michael wrote
Aged, like a fine Italian cheese.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Break-In Period on New 500?

PE#454
sjmst wrote
Michael wrote
Anyone know what the suggested break in period and etc. of the 500 is?
I believe unloading from rail car and holding in storage lot for three weeks is what Fiat suggests.

Re: Break-In Period on New 500?

prima 109
Agreed.
Craig #109 Rosso with sunroof/post assembly block heater.

Re: Break-In Period on New 500?

mikecrml
We picked ours up on Saturday and drove 85 miles home at 70-90. Them I read the book. Oh well- It's the wifes car. When I got home all fluids were good, but the tires were at 42+ psi. Don't trust the dealers!

Re: Break-In Period on New 500?

Alvon Elrod
Did you check the tires again when they were cold?  Tire pressure can easily increase several psi when the tires are warm from driving at higher speeds.

I checked my tires cold and found 36 psi on the front and 38 psi on the rear.  The door sticker recommends 35 psi front and 30 psi rear (??).  The tires marks state 51 psi max, so I don't see that the 42 psi that you measured is a problem (especially if checked when hot).  I asked my salesman what the recommended pressure is, and he didn't know, but offered to check with their technician.  I'll let you know what they tell me.

Alvon
Alvon Elrod, #18 White, no sunroof
1970 Fiat 124 spider

Re: Break-In Period on New 500?

mikecrml
I checked them stone cold and they were WAY over. The max psi on the tire is for the idiots that mount tires. Always go by the sticker on the door. Add 2psi is you drive hard. We do this with all the cars that come to my shop. Im running 35psi front and 32 psi rear. It corners a lot better on the stock Contis. Hope everyone checks!

Re: Break-In Period on New 500?

FiatGal
If all goes well, by this time next week I may just be driving my new car. Car should arrive at the dealer tomorrow. Yay!

So I've been reading about car-break in period. Had one or two questions:

"While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws, contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided."

Brief, full throttle acceleration: does this mean "Briefly stepping down fully on the gas pedal"? So... on wider open stretches, in 5th gear, let it rip, briefly?

What's a burnout? Is that sort of like accelerating so fast from a dead stop that it leaves tire marks on asphalt?

Also, read that this had to do with pistons seating in correctly. Just out of curiosity, is this true?

Re: Break-In Period on New 500?

FiatGal wrote
If all goes well, by this time next week I may just be driving my new car. Car should arrive at the dealer tomorrow. Yay!

So I've been reading about car-break in period. Had one or two questions:

"While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws, contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided."

Brief, full throttle acceleration: does this mean "Briefly stepping down fully on the gas pedal"? So... on wider open stretches, in 5th gear, let it rip, briefly?

What's a burnout? Is that sort of like accelerating so fast from a dead stop that it leaves tire marks on asphalt?

Also, read that this had to do with pistons seating in correctly. Just out of curiosity, is this true?

That is great news! So the journey is coming to the end and a new chapter begins!  Enjoy!

I wouldn't worry too much about break in. The main thing is to try to vary your speed and release the gas pedal occasionally. When you get on the highway, a few brief (10+/- seconds) full throttle accelerations in fourth or fifth gear are fine.  That will help seat the engine rings a little quicker and get the break-in over with.

 Just don't drive yourself crazy about all of this and enjoy your new car!

The one thing I would not do is a burnout. That is not good to do... at least in your personal car;)

Re: Break-In Period on New 500?

Giallo Edizione
FiatGal wrote
So... on wider open stretches, in 5th gear, let it rip, briefly?

-------Don't worry, absolutely nothing will happen when you stomp on the pedal in 5th gear.

What's a burnout? Is that sort of like accelerating so fast from a dead stop that it leaves tire marks on asphalt?

------Also not something you need to particularly worry about with this car.

Now with an Abarth......

Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)
KO

Re: Break-In Period on New 500?

KO
"After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable."

-That implies yet a different speed the first 60 miles? (100+?)
Bianco Perla (pearl white) Sport, manual trans, with convenience package on order...

Re: Break-In Period on New 500?

FiatGal
Thanks for the feedback guys. And Giallo, very funny!!