Any Fiat enthusiasts who are audiophiles? [re: aftermarket sound systems]

Any Fiat enthusiasts who are audiophiles? [re: aftermarket sound systems]

PE#454
I remember reading in another thread here that kmarei thought the Bose system was ''crap.'' Since I don't have my car yet, and can't test out my own music, all I can go by is the radio sound when I drove the market demo, and I wasn't all that impressed. With that said, I never replaced the system in my MINI, but am considering an upgrade on the PE to enhance my driving experience.

I found this thread on this forum, although it's a UK forum.

Is anyone considering installing a better-quality sound system in their 500? If so, and you have read the thread linked above, do you think it will ''mess up'' the factory installation...the Blue & Me? What if you just install better speakers? Would that help?

And I wonder what the value in dollars is of the Bose factory system...is that separated on the spec sheet apart from the Sirius satellite radio subscription and security alarm? I.e., what you would expect to spend for an upgrade (doesn't have to be top-of-the-line, just ''better'')?

Would this be more trouble than it's worth?

 I'm just thinking/wondering out loud; any replies appreciated.

Re: Any Fiat enthusiasts who are audiophiles? [re: aftermarket sound systems]

Small Car Lover
With the Bose efficiency system used in the 500, I suspect it will be challenging to just replace the speakers with something aftermarket.  The Bose speakers are matched in terms of frequency response to the Bose amp.  I believe the Bose speakers do not have a flat frequency response, which is compensated for by the amp.  By not requiring a flat driver response, Bose is able to improve the efficiency of the speaker, and reduce the power required from the amplifier.  So the signal sent to the speakers by the Bose amp has been "EQ'd" to compensate for the non linear response of the speakers.   I suspect if you replace the factory speakers and leave the Bose amp, the sound will be quite distorted.

I suspect if you want to upgrade from the factory system you will need to install a entirely new system.  I also suspect you will need to spend significant money (perhaps $2k or more) to get a significant improvement over the stock system.  (A good quality head unit, good quality power amp, good quality speaker and a decent subwoofer.)  The costs of doing good aftermarket systems can add up quickly.

For some people replacing the factory with high end system is a no brainer.  Only you can decide if it is worth it to you in terms of costs, esthetics and reduced integration with the car.

Re: Any Fiat enthusiasts who are audiophiles? [re: aftermarket sound systems]

I have an Audi with a Bose system. The head unit has a "built in, hidden EQ" that can be brought up by pressing a sequence of buttons. I wonder if the Fiat has a similar setup.

Re: Any Fiat enthusiasts who are audiophiles? [re: aftermarket sound systems]

PE#454 wrote
[...]

It depends on what you do but the amp for the Bose system is mounted in the cargo area and it may be that by leaving the stock head unit and replacing the Bose amp and speakers with a decent aftermarket setup alone will make a significant improvement but I'll hold off until I get a chance to really listen to the system as is as I want to maintain the B&M setup for what it offers and it may be that to do so requires leaving the head unit, although I've noted in a video i found on YouTube that someone swapped out the stock head unit and added 2 controllers that at least kept the steering wheel controls intact and perhaps the B&M as well but if I recall, they didn't show that part, just that the steering wheel controls still worked.

If anything I'll ditch the Bose speakers and amp and replace them with Infinity Kappa 6.5" drivers in the doors with separate tweeters in the stock location in the A pillars and put in a pair of the same but in a 2 way configuration in the rear and add a new sub if the stock Bose sub will work as is if it isn't tied to the amp in the cargo area.

Re: Any Fiat enthusiasts who are audiophiles? [re: aftermarket sound systems]

Giallo Edizione
My ears may be a little old and blown out but I think the stock Bose system in the Sport and Lounge sound great. Especially when you consider its stock in a $17.5K car.  The guy who said it sounded like crap said it sounded like crap when he turned it all the way to full volume. OK, what do you expect, crystal clarity? Its a little space in the cabin and 6 speakers plus a subwoofer that blows the passengers pant legs around is plenty of watts and the sound I find to be very nicely balanced. I seriousl doubt many actual buyers of these cars will upgrade the sound system so they can turn it up to 11.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Any Fiat enthusiasts who are audiophiles? [re: aftermarket sound systems]

FiatGal
Giallo Edizione wrote
I seriousl doubt many actual buyers of these cars will upgrade the sound system so they can turn it up to 11.
Too funny!

Re: Any Fiat enthusiasts who are audiophiles? [re: aftermarket sound systems]

cogtooth
Sirius,alarm and Bose is $1250 in a Pop.
Sirius, alarm is $200 in a Sport (when you get a convenience package, also)
Therefore, somewhere around $1050 for Bose depending on how the alarm cost is divided up between the sound and convenience packages in a Sport.
Bianco Perla Sport

Re: Any Fiat enthusiasts who are audiophiles? [re: aftermarket sound systems]

PE#454
Thanks, cogtooth (and other replies). Ergo, it is not worth it to me to invest limited finances in an audio upgrade. I'm sure I will manage quite well with the Bose.

Re: Any Fiat enthusiasts who are audiophiles? [re: aftermarket sound systems]

spindoc
I think you will too.  I was pleasantly surprised with the Bose system.

Re: Any Fiat enthusiasts who are audiophiles? [re: aftermarket sound systems]

prima 109
PE #454 and others, when you plug in a USB device i.e. Ipod or such, there are different audio settings for media.  Push the audio button and scroll through the menu and make your selections.  I didn't back track through the thread to see if that other poster who said the Bose system is crap was refering to USB music or not. I discovered this myself when I plugged my Ipod in and it sounded different.
Craig #109 Rosso with sunroof/post assembly block heater.

Re: Any Fiat enthusiasts who are audiophiles? [re: aftermarket sound systems]

sketch
Actually, my favorite thing about the system is that I can turn it up to max volume (11? this one goes to 40!!! :P) without anything noticeably distorting and without the woofers "bottoming out"!  The worst thing about the JBL system in my Prius, although it may have the advantage over the Bose in clarity, is that certain bass frequencies, above certain amplitudes, would overwhelm the speakers entirely, and it was inconsistent from song to song.  Sometimes it was so bad that I could hardly hear the music with the windows down at 45!

It's not the clearest sound in the world, and it does appear to be better geared toward hip-hop and electronic music than toward rock and metal, but it is a very good system, especially considering its impressive energy efficiency.

I find the Bose to be terrific. OTOH the JBL in my wife's Prius is the worst "upgrade" sound system ever. I strapped on a powered subwoofer and that sort of helps, but she always shuts it off.....
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Any Fiat enthusiasts who are audiophiles? [re: aftermarket sound systems]

CaliberSRT4
Giallo Edizione wrote
sketch wrote

How does it compare to the SRT Kicker system? Unless you don't have it of course. I love mine, and for $675 it was completely worth it. But for the Fiat 500 I think the Bose system makes a lot of sense. It is light and efficient, so it isn't sapping too much power from that 101 hp engine.

Re: Any Fiat enthusiasts who are audiophiles? [re: aftermarket sound systems]

Giallo Edizione
CaliberSRT4 wrote
How does it compare to the SRT Kicker system? Unless you don't have it of course. I love mine, and for $675 it was completely worth it. But for the Fiat 500 I think the Bose system makes a lot of sense. It is light and efficient, so it isn't sapping too much power from that 101 hp engine.
It's more "Bose-like" than the Kicker system.  It has that deep deep everywhere at once bass and a really nice smooth balance that Bose is known for. The Kicker is just that, sharp dynamics with good imaging ( bigger cars can do that) and a very punchy subwoofer. I keep one side of the rear seat down to get extra bass from the Kicker-I also lined the trunk and rear floor with two layers of eDead soundproofing to help the sub and reduce the exhaust note a tad. No need for such things in the FIAT because that little sub-woofer is right under the passenger seat.

In fairness I don't listed to a broad range of music in my car - I am curious what that little Bose sub can do with some serious rap/ hip-hop octave stomp-box bass under it.

That seems like a good description, but I thought the amp would be under the seat. There was a thread about that but I forgot what the determination was. Great tips as well, I never even thought to keep the rear seat down to help with the bass.

Re: Any Fiat enthusiasts who are audiophiles? [re: aftermarket sound systems]

PE#454
Sitting in a Fiat 500 with a Bose sound system is not the same as, say, sitting in your living room with some Klipsch Heresies. Nonetheless, I found this thread here interesting and fun. After I've had some sleep and have time I'm going to give some thought to music that will test the dynamic range. I haven't gone through the whole thread but I like a lot of what has been suggested.

Maybe I'll start a separate "Music that sounds great in our cars" thread.

Re: Any Fiat enthusiasts who are audiophiles? [re: aftermarket sound systems]

ciddyguy
PE#454 wrote
Sitting in a Fiat 500 with a Bose sound system is not the same as, say, sitting in your living room with some Klipsch Heresies. Nonetheless, I found this thread here interesting and fun. After I've had some sleep and have time I'm going to give some thought to music that will test the dynamic range. I haven't gone through the whole thread but I like a lot of what has been suggested.

Maybe I'll start a separate "Music that sounds great in our cars" thread.
Ooo, PE#454,

A great idea. I have some definite opinions on that subject. :-)

Re: Any Fiat enthusiasts who are audiophiles? [re: aftermarket sound systems]

SeaDawg
CaliberSRT4 wrote
The Bose amp is mounted to the passenger side bulkhead behind the rear seats in the 'trunk' area.

Re: Any Fiat enthusiasts who are audiophiles? [re: aftermarket sound systems]

CaliberSRT4
SeaDawg wrote
CaliberSRT4 wrote
Thanks for clarifying.

Re: Any Fiat enthusiasts who are audiophiles? [re: aftermarket sound systems]

sketch
Haha, yes, my fault.  I'd always seen it positioned the opposite way, but the subwoofer is definitely under the passenger seat! :P