Abandonded my PE, signed for Giallo Sport!

Abandonded my PE, signed for Giallo Sport!

Giallo Edizione
In a not so astonishing turnabout, I walked from PE 311 Rosso and the alternative Rosso without the sunroof offered to me by dealer and signed today for a Giallo Sport with Nero interior. When I finally revealed to wife that I had "won" the lottery for a PE and planned to buy it, she informed that although it was cool with her for me to buy it, she (reminded me) that she hated red cars. I also got some remorse about having two red sport cars in the garage. White not an option, thats the color of her daily driver, and gray not an option as my silver daily is close to that. So I went on the hunt at the dealer for what was in stock or incoming for 5 speed Sports. At first glance I thought the yellow was over the top, so I considered Olive, Brown, white, silver, and pearl white, all available for sale, but kept coming back to the Giallo ( yellow ). I thought about a 6 week wait to order a 5 speed Rame on the hope I'd like it but dismissed that as us boomers want it all and we want it now. I really wanted to like the Espresso brown, and that would be perfect if this was my daily driver, but too serious and lacked the sporty edge these cars deserve ( though I would recommend Espresso, with Marone interior to anyone wnated to be a bit less racy but still look really good), and is not a color that I could imagine playing with by changing dash, mirrors, stripes, details etc. So back to the Giallo.

Another thing, my only other FIAT was a 1974 124 Spider I bought new-it too was yellow ( for good reason  :-(

The Giallo is not as lemony as the website would seem to make it, nor is it quite as intense as Viper yellow, just a shade easier on the eyes than that. But the black detailing and black interior contrast really nicely. Too bad the wheels don't have the jet black detialing like the PE's (that can be remedied for a $100 or so at a paint shop if I do the masking). And it also lends itself to swapping dash and mirrors to gloss black now and then to get some relief. Its a lot of yellow on the side, and may need something-a pair of red or black Abarth stripes along the door base, or maybe the dreaded black stripe akin to the PE ( but with the checkerboard detailing at the rear).

Anyway, absent buyers remorse or color remorse, I pick it up on Tuesday. Here is a lame picture  with a dirty iPhone on a cloudy day that doesn't really do the color justice.

Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

If'n I win the lottery or something and can, it'll definitely be the Sport Fiat in either the Russo or the Giallo. Right now I'm leaning towards the Russo and just get it with the convenience package (minus the electric seats for the 5Spd manual) and perhaps the sunroof and call it good. :-)

Re: Abandonded my PE, signed for Giallo Sport!

Very nice! Congrats and post more pics when you can.

Re: Abandonded my PE, signed for Giallo Sport!

Congratulations!  I also love the Giallo. Really looks great on the 500, and reminds me of Ferrari Fly Yellow.  Black accents/wheels really make it stand out.

Flourescent lighting and halogens tend to wash the color out - as do short white dresses and fine tans.

I'm starting think about what it would look like with the moustache ( the car...)and all the other chrome details blacked out. There's a guy I had to that for some bits on my MINI with vinyl and it comes out pretty good. Need to crack the tails to get at that chrome, but he can do that.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Abandonded my PE, signed for Giallo Sport!

cogtooth
I was interested in Rame looking at pictures, but I had mixed feelings about it when I saw it in person.  I passed on a Russo because it was not as bright as the bright shade of red that VW uses.  I've seen black, white, red, olive, and rame at the local dealer.  What was your view of pearl white, since I've ordered one unseen?
Bianco Perla Sport

Re: Abandonded my PE, signed for Giallo Sport!

Giallo Edizione
cogtooth wrote
I was interested in Rame looking at pictures, but I had mixed feelings about it when I saw it in person.  I passed on a Russo because it was not as bright as the bright shade of red that VW uses.  I've seen black, white, red, olive, and rame at the local dealer.  What was your view of pearl white, since I've ordered one unseen?
I think the pearl is stunning. My wife drives a white car, otherwise this would have been tempting.

I went in to pay today, and here are a  few more pictures I took. Same crappy iPhone. The white one is the pearl. The red one without stripes is Rosso Brilliante.

Thanks for the pics of the pearl white, they predict I have about 4-6 weeks wait on delivery.
Bianco Perla Sport

Re: Abandonded my PE, signed for Giallo Sport!

Giallo Edizione
cogtooth wrote
Thanks for the pics of the pearl white, they predict I have about 4-6 weeks wait on delivery.
Figure the full 6 they tell me up here. Maybe you want to fly to Boston and drive that nice Pearly one home before it's gone!

Either way, IMO the extra 500 bucks for the pearly white is well worth it when compared to the refrigerator white. In some lighting conditions it can have a vanilla tone akin to a vintage white ( which they should have offered).
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Abandonded my PE, signed for Giallo Sport!

FiATL
Hey Giallo!  I'm about 95% sure I'm going to pass on my Prima also for a Sport of my choosing without a roof.  My white one is still finding its way to the dealer and when I add up the $1500 Prima package (for a car that is no longer Prima to me) and the sunroof which takes away headroom I need, I'm looking at saving over $2300 plus getting a color that I really want and can actually choose a dealer anywhere I want to avoid the outrageous nearly $600 Atlanta Doc Fees that the Fiat dealers here seem hell bent on getting from me.

So, now what color, what dealer, what options?   At this point, Fiat is starting to sound fun to me again.
Chris B
Roswell GA
Sport 5 speed.  Verde Oliva w/ Marrone
Ordered: 4/8  Delivered 5/25

There, that's the spirit. I selected my Giallo Sport off the lot - all of them had the $600 safety/sound packages, so mine was about $1,850 savings on the PE after considering the spare tire I would have to buy for the PE ( what were they thinking to delete the spare tire from the package? Save $100 and round to an even $19,500. Jeez). Anyway, I plan to invest the savings in blacking out the chrome bits, hardwire a radar detecter with laser defeat, tint the windows, buy an alternative black dash and mirror covers and still have lots of $$ for more goodies. The one thing from the PE I wish I had was the black painted wheels instead of the grey painted ones.  I am quite confident any frenzy over PE's will die down quickly and they will depreciate pretty much like any other 500 Sport.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Abandonded my PE, signed for Giallo Sport!

FiATL
Step 1 is in process. Requested cancellation this morning.  Step 2 will be deciding on acceptable colors.  I want no sunroof and the auto a/c, alarm, spare tire pkg.  Step 3 will be shopping dealers within a 300 mile radius to see who can deliver with the lowest documentation fees.

Now I'm not in a hurry, my current car isn't sold, and I am much more relaxed and looking forward to picking a fun car.  I'm leaning toward Giallo for several of the same reasons you did.  Would love with some black bits and other fun stuff.   Of course, Espresso is neat...and there's Rame...and that funky Olive color...hmmm.  This will be way more fun than getting a "Prima" after all.

Re: Abandonded my PE, signed for Giallo Sport!

Gavin
If the Lounge came with an stick, I would cancel my Prima...love the Lounge premium wheels and the Ivory interior and fixed glass roof...

Actually I would want the Lounge with a stick and the sports suspension...that would be killer...

Or the sport with the lounge premium wheel design...but with 16 inch tires, Ivory upper interior and fixed glass roof...that would be the way to go...

But I shall love my Prima...the grigio is one of my three favorite 500 colors...so that is good :)

Just would have liked to brighten the interior with the Ivory interior and the fixed glass roof...

But that can be with my second 500 :)

By then you should be able to put the stick with the Lounge...or hopefully I will be going Electric 500 and yes I will be losing the fun of a stick, but will be gaining the fun of NO GAS and getting all my "fuel" from the solar panels on my roof :)

Gavin

Re: Abandonded my PE, signed for Giallo Sport!

5*(10)^2
Great color btw after what you went through between keeping and dropping the PE.

I haven't met you in person but so far all the Fiat fanatics I have met (from FLU to non-FLU) are pretty cool. I suppose you are as well. But why this statement?

Giallo Edizione wrote
Some sort of cognitive dissonance I reckon?

Re: Abandonded my PE, signed for Giallo Sport!

Giallo Edizione
5*(10)^2 wrote
 But why this statement?

Giallo Edizione wrote
I am quite confident any frenzy over PE's will die down quickly and they will depreciate pretty much like any other 500 Sport.
Some sort of cognitive dissonance I reckon?

Sort of. Convincing myself out loud that dumping the PE was not a financially dumb move....

Hey wait, I haven't officially cancelled with FIAT yet.....that means I still have rights to the one at the dealership.....ebay? ....An old barn for 50 years?....  nah.

Thanks but my kids would disagree with you....
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Abandonded my PE, signed for Giallo Sport!

FiatGal
I did the same!

It's been a while since I've posted on this forum - just been a real busy past couple of months. But I ended up doing the same thing: after much hand-wrangling, I decided to give up my PE. Although I was told that I could change my original color choice, I realized that this may mean getting a PE with the stripe, which I didn't want. Add to that, I really am set on the silver. I live in New England, and white cars get dirty just by being looked at. As a friend says, silver is the perfect "schmutz" color! Plus, I've been driving the same damn old (now, real old) mazda for 20 years. This is the first time I'm buying a new car, ever. I want the color I want. (Actually, I wanted chachacha azure, but they discontinued that color

Heading to the dealer in Mass., (the one in Maine not up and running yet - there's a weird story there too) this weekend (), and ordering. Who knows... I know he has some on the lot... I may change my color choice yet again. The hell with worrying about snow and winter schmutz! I'll get that nice retro car cover and call it a day!

Re: Abandonded my PE, signed for Giallo Sport!

Giallo Edizione
FiatGal wrote
[...]

I was just there picking mine up! They have  few 5 speed sports on the lot for sale still-brown, olive, pearly white, brilliant red all seemed to still be aviailable. Brown and pearly white are very nice looking. The road tester car is silver so you will see that that looks like. They say the wait for ordering is about 6 weeks. If you want an automatic, they have a slew of those incoming to choose from. They have a complete list of all the incoming vehicles.

Have fun!
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Abandonded my PE, signed for Giallo Sport!

Joe Dolgetta
Hey Chris,

I would think you could do some wheeling and dealing with the Fiat Studio of your choice. Shouldn't have to pay list for a car on the lot.
I just got back from Team Fiat Mall of GA to see my PE 447. It was at their Team Toyota store getting it's PDI. I have to say, I'm too happy with the graphite bezel, and would have much preferred the exterior matching red. I do like the wheels a lot, and the PE badging is pretty cool. The Black roof and mirrors are a nice sporty touch as well. I was hoping that I would like the stripe more when seeing it up close and in person, but don't happen. I'm okay with it. Not thrilled. The guys at the dealer are going out of their way to do "all the right things" as they really want to deliver it from their store rather than have it flat bedded over to Fiat of South ATL. I told them what it would take, and told them it was in their hands now. We'll see what the final purchase order looks like. For me, it's a deal maker or breaker. Hey good luck with ordering a custom 500. That does sound like a lot of fun, especially if you can do that at a real Fiat Studio. The combos are infinite, and making it exactly the way you would want it is as special as the now not so special Prima Edizione. Who knows, I may be joining you at the color rack customizing my own Cinquecento ;-))
peppydee
PE 447-Rosso-Sunroof
12