why so much more expensive in canada ?

bloglo
Why the 500 is much more expensive in canada ?

I think we are really screwed up up north.

-for a 500 sport, the base price in canada is 18500 vs 17500 in US.
-to make it comparable, you have to add 350$ for the bose system that is optional in canada while included in usa
-the PDI is 1400 in canada vs 500 in USA
-the full warranty in canada is 3 years vs 4 years in US (but the drivetrain in canada is 5 instead of 4)
-the 3 years of service is not there in canada (that's worth at least 1000$)
-the interest rate on loan in USA seems about 3% while FIAT canada is at 6%, so that add at least 1500$ to the price

so all in all, even if the Canadian dollar worth more than the US dollar (1,05 $ us for 1$ cdn) we still end up paying almost 3000$ to 4700$ for the same car.

for a car around 20 000$ that's almost 20% to  25% more

Can you believe this ?!?!

I still ordered an expresso sport, but still, i'm getting mad when I see how much we are screwed up here...

Re: why so much more expensive in canada ?

ciddyguy
bloglo wrote
[...]

some of the reasons you state is due to the value of the almighty dollar Vs Canadian currency and so far, the US wins there, as to the PDI, can't tell you as that depends on where you live here, some states cap the doc fees below $500 and in most states with caps, the fee is no more than $150 US where as in other states without the cap, up to $500-600 and I doubt more than that though.

License fees for new cars vary by state, here in Washington State, the license tabs are $52 or so, which is the same no matter how old or new the car is so that's nice, didn't used to be that way but that's how it is now however.

The rest, can't tell you other than it may well be how the cars are simply sold in Canada Vs here as a general rule for ALL models and marquees.

Re: why so much more expensive in canada ?

cogtooth
Being a US citizen, but having attended college at McGill in Montreal, everything seemed more expensive in Canada regardless of the exchange rate.
Bianco Perla Sport

I still ordered an expresso sport, but still, i'm getting mad when I see how much we are screwed up here...
Seems like the Mini Cooper is $24,000 in Canada vs $20,000 in the US. I'm just going by the MSRP listed on the website.

Re: why so much more expensive in canada ?

kzod
Really?  Really?  Compared to every other car company we are almost getting the car on par.  Just the PDI is greedy, as well as doubling the price for a spare tire from $100 to $200.  Any other car will cost 30% more oin canada just on the MSRP.  The 500 will cost a good $10,000 less than a comparable Mini here.