Where is the Multijet II Turbo Diesel?

Anonymous
Check out this post from 12/09: http://www.fiat500usa.com/2009/12/fiat-500-ill-take-diesel.html
Back then Fiat was still considering this engine for the 500 USA launch.  It gets a combined 60.3 mpg fuel efficiency, it's faster and more powerful, and it has cleaner emissions.  I called a USA dealer today and they have no information on when this will be available stateside.  Why not?

Re: Where is the Multijet II Turbo Diesel?

SeaDawg
Anonymous wrote
I called a USA dealer today and they have no information on when this will be available stateside.  Why not?
Well, let's see...the US Government makes it as difficult as possible to sell diesel engined light vehicles, such as cars.  Not only that but the public perception, no matter how currently misguided, is that diesels are noisy, smelly, polluting, and slow.  That's why only a very few manufacturers, VW, Mercedes Benz and I believe Audi even offer one or more models for sale and they are at the upper end of their vehicle price ranges.

Personally I'd like to see a diverse engine offering for the 500...in Europe they offer a TWO cylinder gasoline engine called the TwinAir in both Turbo and non-Turbo versions, a 1.2 liter gasoline engine, a 1.4 liter gasoline engine (not the same as ours) and the aforementioned diesel.

Perhaps if the 500 catches on Fiat will bless us with some upgraded options with regard to engines AND transmissions, ie 6 speed manual.  This would probably not occur before the update due in 2013.

Re: Where is the Multijet II Turbo Diesel?

ciddyguy
SeaDawg wrote
Anonymous wrote
[...]

What seadawg is saying, and I'll add the Diesel doesn't have as much HP as the 1.4L motor, be it multiair or not but has much better torque however.

My guess is we'll eventually see the 900cc TwinAir motor here, but perhaps only the 105HP turbo variant but who knows? Right now, the 100-101HP is the lowest HP motor available stateside if I'm not mistaken for new cars.

Also, diesels tend to not fair as well when used strictly for short trips, they DO require some occasional long trips to remain working properly from what I've heard.

Re: Where is the Multijet II Turbo Diesel?

MultiJet II is coming to the Jeep Grand Cherokee.  The US needs to get with the program and loosen the regulations that keep companies from bringing in diesels. Diesel technology is here and it's now. We need it!

Re: Where is the Multijet II Turbo Diesel?

cogtooth
I just got back from a vacation in Germany and the Austrian Alps.  Our rental Mercedes B Class 1.8 liter diesel got over 43 miles per gallon and was plenty roomy with a large trunk.  It had plenty of power to climb several mountain passes, and also took us up to all the speed (163 km/hour) we novices felt comfortable with on the autobahns we were on.  The speed limit signs are electronic about a mile apart, and seem to put the limit or not depending on the traffic flow.  The European cars may not be as powerful as ours, but you can have much more fun.  We Americans pay way too much time wanting big engined cars and not enough time thinking about improving our roads.
Bianco Perla Sport

Re: Where is the Multijet II Turbo Diesel?

CaliberSRT4
cogtooth wrote
I just got back from a vacation in Germany and the Austrian Alps.  Our rental Mercedes B Class 1.8 liter diesel got over 43 miles per gallon and was plenty roomy with a large trunk.  It had plenty of power to climb several mountain passes, and also took us up to all the speed (163 km/hour) we novices felt comfortable with on the autobahns we were on.  The speed limit signs are electronic about a mile apart, and seem to put the limit or not depending on the traffic flow.  The European cars may not be as powerful as ours, but you can have much more fun.  We Americans pay way too much time wanting big engined cars and not enough time thinking about improving our roads.
101 mph is all? I hit that on my morning commute.