What tuning parts may void warranty?

cinquecento
I asked my dealer about a cold air intake, but since Mopar isn't selling them yet I wasn't sure whether or not I might have to remove the intake assembly each time I go in for service (that's what he told me to do).  Does anyone have specifics on what removing the (incredibly restrictive) airbox might do, and what I might be risking by installing the Competitione intake? I'm also strongly considering going for a Magnaflow full exhaust on my Prima.

I find the car to be way too quiet for my likes, I can't hear when to shift it's so quiet!

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Re: What tuning parts may void warranty?

RacerRon
Each state has it's own rules regarding modifications to stock intakes. I don't think California allows it, but since I don't live in that state (I live in Texas), I'm not too sure. That's a strange comment by your dealer. If I'm reading it right, they are saying that you can buy the Mopar high performance intake, but just take it off when you come in for service??

Re: What tuning parts may void warranty?

cinquecento
Well, they have virtually no info on the Mopar intake, and therefore they haven't really been trained on its details either from what I can tell.

As I live in Minnesota where there are no emissions testing, I don't foresee that end of the spectrum being at issue; rather, I think the concern would lie chiefly with changing around the engine compartment and introducing aftermarket parts.  I haven't owned a new car before, so I'm trying not to screw up my warranty before anything breaks!

Maybe there's no simple answer to this question?

Re: What tuning parts may void warranty?

RacerRon
As far as the warranty issue, I can't really say. The dealer should be able to tell you. I would like to know too, for future reference. Anybody in the know?

Re: What tuning parts may void warranty?

I really don't think they will be any gain from an intake on this car.  The air box might look restrictive, but it has a large capacity and you can even hear the intake noise being sucked into the engine. Plus the intake gets the air from up front. If you get an intake, make sure it's not sucking in underhood air.

Maybe our member PiZ from FPT can enlighten us on the subject?

Re: What tuning parts may void warranty?

RacerRon wrote
As far as the warranty issue, I can't really say. The dealer should be able to tell you. I would like to know too, for future reference. Anybody in the know?
Well I hope it's not like VW. Every mod you do is reason for them to deny a warranty claim.  I worked at a VW/Audi tuning shop and we used to hear horror stories of people getting hassled by VW/Audi dealers constantly.

Basically, if you do something and it causes a problem with the car, they can deny a warranty repair on the part effected. Makes sense. But some dealers, for example,  like to deny a tail light claim because you put on an aftermarket exhaust. That doesn't fly, but some still pull that.

I think Chrysler will be better than VW's warranty department (almost every company is).

Re: What tuning parts may void warranty?

David Maddon
Don't do it yet things are still going crazy. I promise nobody at FIAT is sleeping in late these days. Then call Fiat USA and ask them directly about Mopar parts which should not void the warranty as they are designed and tested on the 500. Non-FIAT after market parts might violate some of the warranty but those types of changes are general to do with inside the engine or turbos etc but most of those company work with fiat and are either approved of or offer their own warranty on the engine you know you can get about 300 HP out of a 500 maxed out. Call Fiat first though but give a few weeks.