US Brake Fluid

SeaDawg
Chris, why does the US Cinquecento come with DOT 3 brake fluid and the European Cinquecento comes with DOT 4?

I only ask these questions because it seems that in Europe for initial fluid fills they use Premium fluids for both engine oil (synthetic) and brake fluid (DOT 4).

I consider the prospective vehicle (I have the draft to purchase) as a European Premium product just like the Mercedes Benz I leased a few years ago.  Therefore I am somewhat confused that the US version is being delivered with less severe duty fluids than the European version.

I am pretty much convinced that Europeans take better care of their vehicle maintenance than Americans so it would make even MORE sense to give the US premium fluid fills.

Re: US Brake Fluid

Interesting question, I'll add it to the list I have for them. I did talk to the engineers about the brakes; the front calipers were changed, mainly due for supplier reasons.

I am hoping to spend some more time with them in the near future.

I agree with your observation on maintenance and will add that the mainstream US buyer does not appreciate or understand premium fluids, or premium technology for that matter.

However, I'll venture to say that it is because the slower speeds here in this country don't require the higher temperature DOT 4.

Re: US Brake Fluid

SeaDawg
Fiat500USA wrote
Interesting question, I'll add it to the list I have for them. I did talk to the engineers about the brakes; the front calipers were changed, mainly due for supplier reasons.

I agree with your observation on maintenance and will add that the mainstream US buyer does not appreciate or understand premium fluids, or premium technology for that matter.

However, I'll venture to say that it is because the slower speeds here in this country don't require the higher temperature DOT 4.

Are you perhaps addressing the Motor Trend article that said the brakes were 'so-so'?  Would you expand on the front caliper change?

Somehow I get the impression that you haven't driven on the west/southwest interstates populated with cactus, tumbleweeds and slow coyote remains.

Those people FLY LOW!

Re: US Brake Fluid

 The front calipers are new on the North American 500, it was done from the start, nothing to do with Motor Trend.

Personally, I like the brake feel. I didn't do the brake tests I assume Motor Trend did, but in spirited mountain driving, they worked great.  In contrast, I drove a Yaris that Fiat had for comparison purposes and the first stop light I almost blew through. The pedal feel was awful. I told the Fiat engineers the Yaris was "grim" ... they got a kick out of that.

Re: US Brake Fluid

SeaDawg
Fiat500USA wrote
The front calipers are new on the North American 500, it was done from the start, nothing to do with Motor Trend.

Personally, I like the brake feel. I didn't do the brake tests I assume Motor Trend did, but in spirited mountain driving, they worked great.
Oh, ok, I wasn't aware that ours were different.

Yeah, I tested the seatbelt locking mechanism when I applied them on the way out of the parking lot on the test drive.  I thought they were GREAT.  I thinki American car magazines have no clue about European cars...that includes Edmunds.