Trailer hitch installed

FiatLancia
Hi all. Documented the entire hitch installation process in case anyone else was considering buying one. For the record (a very important one), this is NOT the Mopar hitch listed in the accessories pdf. This is the one that European dealers sell and install, made by Westfalia. I ordered it from a company in England and it shipped from the Netherlands. It's rated at 60kg tongue weight and 800kg towing weight. That's 132lbs tongue and 1763lbs trailer. I have a very small pop-up tent trailer camper and a small, light (275lbs!) aluminum flatbed utility trailer; both of which I intend to tow with the 500 with this new hitch.

Anyway, here's the link to the install on my website:
http://www.fiatlancia.com/500mod1.html

Hope this is some help to other 500 owners out there.

Shaun Folkerts
Prima #11
www.FiatLancia.com
Shaun Folkerts

2012 Fiat 500 Prima Edizione #11

MINIER than MINI, SMARTER than SMART

www.FiatLancia.com/store.html

Re: Trailer hitch installed

Mike S
Thank you.

This was something I was looking into and you've done the work for me.

How much was the kit and shipping? I had hoped it would be rated at 2200 lbs  which I had read the 500 was capable of towing. I look forward to the wiring for the lights.

Thanks for posting that link. The hitch is cool looking!

Re: Trailer hitch installed

Tania Ripoll
now that you've been driving the car for about a year, presumably also with a trailer at times, how well does it handle the trailer? I am about to downsize from my Toyota Carina station wagon to a Fiat 500 (my dream car), and since this will be the ONLY car in the family, and I have a house with a big garden, I am planning on using the trailer for things like luggage, cuttings from the garden for the dump, etc. Am a tad concerned that the car may - I don't know - overturn in curves etc? :-) appreciate feedback greatly!

thanks!
Tania Ripoll