Tinting the windows...should you also tint...

Tinting the windows...should you also tint...

Gavin
The sunroof? I bit more sun comes through the window and shade than I expected...

So the question becomes: Tint the sunroof when I get my windows tinted or get a extra layer on the screen itself....Tinting would be a bit more expensive, but would be less obtrustive...extra layer could be thicker and block out all light vs tinting that would be less...

thoughts?

Gavin

Re: Tinting the windows...should you also tint...

sjmst
Gavin wrote
The sunroof? I bit more sun comes through the window and shade than I expected...

So the question becomes: Tint the sunroof when I get my windows tinted or get a extra layer on the screen itself....Tinting would be a bit more expensive, but would be less obtrustive...extra layer could be thicker and block out all light vs tinting that would be less...

thoughts?

Gavin
That's a good idea! I sat in my car and was dismayed by the amount of light. Great in winter, but man, in summer??

Re: Tinting the windows...should you also tint...

Mike S
There is an insulated pad discussed in another thread that addresses this issue. I can be placed between the screen and the sunroof. One of the venders supporting this site (Campione500) had them made originally for the Mini Cooper and now he has them for Fiats.

Re: Tinting the windows...should you also tint...

CaliberSRT4
I would probably opt for the insulated pad approach.

The tinting approach wouldn't offer as much flexibility I think. If it is not tinted dark enough, then on a particularly bright day it may still be too much. If it is tinted dark enough to even damp the sun sufficiently on the brightest of days, then it might not provide as much light as desired on other days.

With the tint, you still only have two sun options. On or partial.

However, with the insulating pad, you now have three options. On, partial, or off.

Of course, if the amount of light let in is usually too much, you can still tint in addition to having the insulated insert. I guess I am simply accustomed to the sunroof on my car with the opaque cover. So I would be getting the sun-blocking pad regardless, but possibly in addition to tinting the sunroof.

Re: Tinting the windows...should you also tint...

cogtooth
Which aftermarket company will come up with sunroof glass that consists of electro-chromatic dimmable glass so we can just flip a switch when needed?
Bianco Perla Sport

Re: Tinting the windows...should you also tint...

jvsgabriel
I like the idea of getting the solid blocker, but would make a few adjustments.  Such as covering it in either gray or black cloth.  As the shiny tin foil like effect would not be to my liking.  But what I did was go to my $.99 store and bought some of those suction cupped sun shades.  They are made to fit one window, they are fairly dark, and if i don't like it, then i just pop them off the sunroof glass.  I also use them when it's sunset, and just pop them on side window to keep the bright sun from burning a hole on the side of my face.

Joel, #366 Chuseppi.

Re: Tinting the windows...should you also tint...

Giallo Edizione
cogtooth wrote
Which aftermarket company will come up with sunroof glass that consists of electro-chromatic dimmable glass so we can just flip a switch when needed?
Good idea! But in the meantime, why can't they just use the same photo-chromic materials in the sunroof that are used in auto-dimming prescription glasses? Seems simple enough. Or, you tint the sunroof with a photochromic film like this: http://www.ppg.com/optical/opticalproducts/opticalfilm/Pages/default.aspx

It's not designed for auto applications but that doesn't mean it can't be tried. Could be some DOT reg that requires them to say that.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Do you like your tinting?  Does the tinting cause your brighter dash to reflect on the side window making it hard to see the side mirrors?  I will have a similar situation with the pearl white dash as you do with the yellow.  I'm also thinking about tinting the windows for the UV protection of my skin and to keep it cooler.
Bianco Perla Sport

Re: Tinting the windows...should you also tint...

Giallo Edizione
cogtooth wrote
Do you like your tinting?  Does the tinting cause your brighter dash to reflect on the side window making it hard to see the side mirrors?  I will have a similar situation with the pearl white dash as you do with the yellow.  I'm also thinking about tinting the windows for the UV protection of my skin and to keep it cooler.
Yes, if the sun is shining on the part of the dash to the left of the steering wheel it reflects right in the rear view mirror-but I can still see in the black air vent hole.

Pearl would look great with tint. I like the color more and more. My wife's daily is white so it was out of consideration. But if I got it I would paint the mirror backs that red that is on the Euro Abarth model that is most often depicted, along with a similar side stripe. Maybe even the red check roof. Not for everyone.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)