The new 6spd automatic

ciddyguy
Chris,

I know the new 6spd automatic is an exclusive unit for the US market and I know it's now sourced by Aisin but there was word of Fiat working with Borg Warner on a new DDC 6 or 7spd automatic with sport shift.

Now that we have this new Aisin unit (I think the TF-60SN model) I've been Googling info on it to determine if this is a torque converter unit or an actual clutch based unit, ala manual transmissions, they talk about clutches as the release/engage method of shifting and I've heard some of their transmissions use a lock up torque converter. This unit in particular uses a Lepelletier gear set as part of its design and the description of the DDC unit was 3 output shafts with one clutch driving the odd gears and I think revers, the other for the even gears.

Is this automatic an actual slushbox or is it better than that and is this something that is sourced until the DDC unit is ready?

I know that having an automatic option here in the US is perceived to be crucial to a car's survival rate but if we can use the Mini as any indication, it could be that about half of all Fiat buyers would opt for the manual instead.

At least the new automatic lets one shift if they choose so it's not all bad either way.

Just that this inquiring mind wants to know. :-)

Re: The new 6spd automatic

Hi ciddyguy,

I posed these exact questions to Laura on Thursday! Hopefully, we'll be getting an answer soon.

I would guess it is using a torque converter and would be the FWD 6-Speed Automatic Transmission (TF-60SN), there is another Aisin model (TF-80SC), but  believe that is for larger cars.

We'll know soon.

I thought it was the TF-60SN so that much is correct, the Aisin Website says clutches, which may simply mean their nomenclature for the torque converter. I DID find a website that discusses the workings of I think this very transmission, sadly didn't bookmark it if I find it, I'll bookmark it and share the details.

Re: The new 6spd automatic

ciddyguy
ciddyguy wrote
Fiat500USA wrote
Hi ciddyguy,

I posed these exact questions to Laura on Thursday! Hopefully, we'll be getting an answer soon.

I would guess it is using a torque converter and would be the FWD 6-Speed Automatic Transmission (TF-60SN), there is another Aisin model (TF-80SC), but  believe that is for larger cars.

We'll know soon.

Thanks Chris,

I thought it was the TF-60SN so that much is correct, the Aisin Website says clutches, which may simply mean their nomenclature for the torque converter. I DID find a website that discusses the workings of I think this very transmission, sadly didn't bookmark it if I find it, I'll bookmark it and share the details.
Thanks Chris,

I found this PowerPoint presentation of an Aisin Reiki transmission series that includes both the TF-60SN and the TF-80SN, which is the similar sized unit, but I think for higher torque engines. All of these listed in the presentation use the Lepelletier gear set. The presentation can be downloaded at this link: http://www.tombirch.com/1/ppt/9.ppt.

If this is correct, then this is what is used in the Fiat, but the question still remains does the transmission use an actual clutch system or a torque converter (a lock unit at that most likely).

Re: The new 6spd automatic

Darrin
Hi guys the Fiat uses an F22 transmission and despite the critics, the car really moves out.
I am just not saying this because I own one, I have personally out ran several vehicles with way more horsepower and bigger engines. They can not figure out why if Im running 90mph they have to do 100plus just to catch me, everyone has said the car is really quick for such a small tall car. I have a Fiat 500 pop I personally took a s-curve at 75mph and did not feel like I was going to flip over! The car stayed controlled and hug that curve like a real sports car.

Re: The new 6spd automatic

Darrin wrote
Hi guys the Fiat uses an F22 transmission and despite the critics, the car really moves out.
I am just not saying this because I own one, I have personally out ran several vehicles with way more horsepower and bigger engines. They can not figure out why if Im running 90mph they have to do 100plus just to catch me, everyone has said the car is really quick for such a small tall car. I have a Fiat 500 pop I personally took a s-curve at 75mph and did not feel like I was going to flip over! The car stayed controlled and hug that curve like a real sports car.
Hi Darrin,

We moved the forum and this discussion here: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?2808-The-new-6spd-automatic&highlight=6spd+automatic

Jus register on the new forum and post away!

Re: The new 6spd automatic

vonda007
Many thanks for this link!
[url=http://www.lipovon.com//] quick weight loss[/url], [url=http://www.lipovon.com/]how to lose weight[/url], [url=http://www.lipovon.com/]weight loss pills[/url]