The car's weight

ciddyguy
I've just realized tonight that the weight given in reviews seems to vary, and the Edmund's review quoted 2,430# curb weight, when I've heard on here and via Chrysler the car is more like 2,333# or so and other reviews have it being 2,360 or some other variation.

And as a commenter on the blog here itself commented about the lack of correct facts from many reviews/sources, sadly, this is becoming more and more prevalent in journalism itself as reporters don't research enough, or at all or simply don't listen intently enough to get facts right, nor do they seem to verify facts to ENSURE they are correct and the weight discrepancy is just one factor.

As you, Chris pointed out, there will always be those who have a negative viewpoint on certain cars, or as Michael Karesh over on the Truth About Cars site was found saying in his review of the car in March was that he's seeking that "fun factor" he once had with an old 1981 Civic, same for Muralee Martin at the same site when he once had an '85 Honda CRX (essentially a 2 seater Civic and currently drives a 1993 Honda split tailgate Civic with I think 105HP, but in a slightly larger 1.5L displacement motor) and while Muralee's review was less negative (his parents had note one, but 2 Fiat 128's in the early 70's when he was 7), both found the motor average at best. True to a point as the Fiats of today are more conventional than they used to be, but that is part and parcel to making your product sell-able, not just here in the US, but everywhere else too and to adhere to safety regulations, but not all is conventional (the window switches being placed on the shifter console) but the funky light switches of yore have since given way to the multi-use stalk that practically everyone else but a few marquees use for the lights these days.

As someone who's also driven a 2nd gen Civic once, it's hella fun for sure and yet, I found the Fiat the closest to what that Civic had, but with safety features that it never had and yet still be a fun car to drive. This high revving technique that Fiat requires isn't unusual, but is true of most small motored vehicles anyway due to to how the torque is created in such a small displacement configuration.

Re: The car's weight

The weight might be test weight variances, there is also equipment variances. Maybe they weighed the car? Not familiar with Inside Lines testing methods, but weight does affect things like acceleration. I generally get my cars weighed, probably do it at some point whenever I get my car.

It is very easy to jump on the bandwagon, kick Fiat because of some story someone heard a million years ago.  Most of the folks writing now never knew how hot the X1/9 was when it came out or what a dud the original Celica was.

Go against the grain, and they'll think you're crazy.

In my opinion, most Fiat enthusiasts have a little more going on inside them. They are able to see past the surface, investigate and appreciate. I find them fascinating and is why I love reading everyones post here, even the ones I don't necessarily agree with.  Lots of intelligent, interesting folks... I think it's good company to be in.

Re: The car's weight

SeaDawg
Fiat500USA wrote
Most of the folks writing now never knew how hot the X1/9 was when it came out or what a dud the original Celica was.
I used to literally LUST after the X1/9 back in the mid 70's.  I was stationed in Morocco and could have picked it up in Italy.  Another person got a '76 or '77 131 and that sort of gave me a reality check.  It backfired like a rifle or shotgun going off all the time.  He never got it to stop before I transfered out.

I STILL think the X1/9 is a really sharp car.  I saw a picture of what is called a 'Tribute X1/9' the other day and it captured the essence.

Re: The car's weight

Fiat500USA wrote
[...]

Chris, your last statement I agree on as I'm in that camp even though I've never owned a Fiat, yet but have lusted after the 128 Familiar off and on for years, a former church priest had a bright red one with the black interior back in the early to mid 70's. I think he bought it around 1972 or so. in the late 70's, got up close and personal with a bright blue 1973 Fiat 850 Spider that friends once had briefly and even got a ride in it and it had an 8-track in it if I recall, the only issue was a stuck throttle so it would race when at a light, but it ran though. Their oldest daughter for a time around that same time period had a white '69 850 Spider as well that sat in the garage being stored.

And yes, it's too easy to jump on the bandwagon and poo, poo something you don't know, rather than read up on it and see it for what it is.

Re: The car's weight

RacerRon
People don't realize that the X1/9 enjoyed a long production run (about 15 years) with essentially the same body style. There was one major update in 1979 that included a larger engine, 5-speed, and updated interior. When Fiat pulled out and Bertone took over production in the early 80s the car remained pretty much unchanged. If only Fiat had done an Abarth version of this car for the street. There was an Abarth version of the X1/9 strictly for racing. The X1/9 was just way underpowered, especially for it's chassis, which as overbuilt. 61 hp for the 1300cc smog-controlled U.S. version!

The mass-produced, inexpensive mid-engined X1/9 even got other manufacturers interested in a mid-engine layout. Remember GM's Fiero? Not terribly successful and it had it's share of problems. It was also bigger and heavier.