Test drove one!

Anthony
This past Saturday I had the pleasure of being the first person to test drive the pre-production demonstrator at Fields FIAT (not yet built I should add). Wonderful experience.

Quite soon after I had made an internet inquiry, I was contacted by Paul (great guy) and we set up an appointment. It was a memorable one. Paul asked my girlfriend and I to meet him at the new Fields Volvo dealership. We pulled into the empty lot of the nearly finished building and waited for him to arrive, all the while placing bets on what color, what model it might be. When he arrived in a Jeep I got a bit nervous - what would the bad news be? But like a surprise present on Christmas morning, when we walked around to the side of the Volvo dealer, the little black 500 Sport was sitting in the service bay glistening, barely concealed by the glass garage door.

This car sits like a dog waiting for his master to throw the ball for a quick game of fetch. It begs for attention and doesn't disappoint. Now, I'm not a fan of the Sport trim. To me, it's a car for chrome trim and simple lines. I don't like machined alloys or mesh grills, but even still it looked the part. What I did like are the very supportive sport seats. The interior is spacious while intimate. The fit and finish is on par with Mini and almost as good as the Golf. Some of the switch gear feels cheap, especially the three buttons on the dash, but I'm nitpicking. The visibility is excellent, driving position upright and alert, plus there's plenty of room for kids in the back or if you fold the seats down, a small trip to Home Depot. This is worth every bit of eighteen thousand dollars.

On the road, it absorbs the bumps wonderfully and I kept it in sport mode from the turn of the key. The 5-spd manual is engaging, far more so than the Golf - not as much as the Mini - but what is so apparent is that you are driving a European car. How so? The 1.4L forces the driver to make the most of every gear and that is very pleasurable to me. Drive a BMW with a stick and you do little work, drive the Fiat and you are analyzing each shift. The MultiAir engine is designed for the European driver as well. Here's why: What I felt in the power band was an initial boost to about 2500 rpm, then a plateau and at around 4000 it was offering a second wind. My experience with Europeans is that they shift out of gears early to save on gas. This engine delivers the exact amount of torque to suit that around town thrifty style, but when you need to get on the highway - I was up to 78mph (in 3rd) before I could look down - it has the guts. So beneficial all around. Would I appreciate a bit more grunt, yes. Necessary? Not when you maximize shifting.

The handling on the Sport is great. Very tossable car, no apparent torque steer (unlike the Golf TDI and Audi A3) and just plain fun to drive. I had a smile on my face throughout the test drive. It's also very quiet at highway speeds. My tester exhibited distinct wind noise next to my left ear, but I chalk that up to it being a pre-pro model (especially as there was no such noise on the passenger side). I did not test the Bose sound system or much of the electronics.

So the verdict is that this car is fantastic. In a perfect world I would like a more unique sound (TwinAir please!) and a couple dashboard switches upgraded - but it is #1 on my list.

Thank you to FIAT500USA.com for providing me the information to get a test drive. I'm very excited about this car and anyone who ordered one sight unseen is going to be happy on delivery day.

Cheers,
Anthony

Thanks Anthony and welcome to the forum!  Reading your post reminded me of my first drive drive.  I just had a ball and smiled all the way.  I didn't turn the radio on either!

Re: Test drove one!

PE#454
Thanks for the report, Anthony. I'm wondering how the chassis/suspension handles rough and bumpy roads? That is one of my (very few) complaints with my current MINI Cooper S. I got rid of the run-flats when it was time to replace the tires, but that made little difference. Maybe it's just that the roads around here are far, far worse than they've ever been.

Re: Test drove one!

Great report, Anthony, thanks!

Re: Test drove one!

spindoc
sjmst wrote
Great report, Anthony, thanks!
 Ditto!

Re: Test drove one!

Anthony wrote
[...]

A really good report indeed Anthony.

You echo what just about everyone else is saying about this car and I will be checking it out as soon as I can get my hands on one at a dealer that is available in my area (soon I hope).

As for Chris, I thought you going to do a report on your experience behind the wheel, so far we've not seen your thoughts other than a few comments here and there.

I rather like what they did with the sport trim, to differentiate it from the Pop and the Lounge and word is, the Pop and Lounge will loose some of the composure of the sport due to their slightly softer suspension, but they will still handle quite well.

Read up on the Fiat Panda, it gets high marks too and it is what the 500 is based on.

Re: Test drove one!

A really good report indeed Anthony.

You echo what just about everyone else is saying about this car and I will be checking it out as soon as I can get my hands on one at a dealer that is available in my area (soon I hope).

As for Chris, I thought you going to do a report on your experience behind the wheel, so far we've not seen your thoughts other than a few comments here and there...
Hi ciddyguy,

Sorry for the delay getting that up. I'm so behind with everything, this thing called sleep really gets in the way! LOL   I have been spending a lot of time looking for delivery info on our cars and working on another project to enhance the site;)  I will get that up, just waiting for a little bit more info from someone....

Thanks for your patience

Re: Test drove one!

Small Car Lover
The suspense on your other project is killing me.

Re: Test drove one!

RacerRon
Small Car Lover wrote
The suspense on your other project is killing me.
 Ha, ha, I know what it is, but I'm not telling!

Re: Test drove one!

Wimbledon
Thanks for sharing your review!

The aftermarket should step in soon and offer options for those looking for a more pronounced exhuast note.
Also join us on the Fiat Scene forums

Re: Test drove one!

jvsgabriel
Hi All, I got to test drive one too, and it also just happen to be on Saturday as well.  I had to drive the 140 miles up from San Diego to Fiat's Motor Village in LA.  My wife and I made the trip despite the crazy weather, where it actually rained the whole trip up and down that day.

But actually got to drive the car that day, it was a fairly short test drive, perhaps about 10 minutes or so.  And I was not able to drive it on the freeway either, as the freeway was basically a parking lot, it is LA and traffic was particularly bad that day.  To make matters worse, the area had just had a sudden hail storm, which is pretty odd for So. Cal. in general.

Actual test drive feedback, the car which is pretty small inside was able to fit the dealer and myself both roughly 5'10" and my wife 5'2" in the back seat.  First impressions are good, as we walked to the car in the rain.  it was raining pretty hard, and we were pretty much in a rush to get in so we didn't have time to do a walk around.  But once inside the car, it was pretty cozy but not tight at all.  I was able to find a very comfortable seating position, even with my wife behind me, she had plenty of room in the back.  My buddy has a Mini and my wife was comparing her time in the back, and she said that it felt roughly the same, which is good as the 500 is about 6" shorter in length.

The actual start up was nice, as the car jumped to life.  Got my first real time look at the instrument panel and dash, and it is really nice, a nice bright optic orange look to it, which is easy on the eyes.  Wanted my wife to take some video with her phone, but she too was pretty excited to be in the car so she forgot.  I didn't have a lot of time to admire the little markers do their dance around the instrument panel.   Seating is on the tall/high side, but I found a very comfortable driving position.  The Shifter felt a bit high at first, but then felt natural after a couple of shifts.  The side mirrors were easily adjusted and I had a nice view outside.

The actual drive was very nice, soaked up the bumpy LA roads very well.  The car being very narrow was just a joy to drive around on the city streets, which is what it was intended to do.  It whizzed around the stopped traffic no problem. I think it has a better ride then my wife's Honda Fit.  Soaked up the bumpy road better, even though it has a shorter wheelbase.  The wipers did a good job of wiping away the windshield and the rear wiper also does a good job.  Well not much for the rear wiper to wipe away, as the view backwards is pretty limited in general.  And you can really hear the rear wiper motor, we didn't have the radio on.  I must say that the wiper controls and the turn signal stalk felt a bit loose or light, when compared to the Honda, but worked just fine.

The drive was very nice, I took it easy for the first couple of minutes, but after that I was really pushing the engine.  Well as much as I could in pretty heavy LA city street driving in the rain.  But got the car to about 4th gear just to run the gear a bit (50 mph).  The shifts were pretty smooth, the actual shifter feel is nice but notchy, which for me is okay, as you know exactly what gear you are in.  The heating/AC unit is also very nice, it was set to automatic 74 degrees.  Not once did any of the windows fog up, and mind you there were three people in the car with some heavy rain outside.  But then it was about 10 minutes, but I am sure I was breathing very heavily.

Acceleration is very quick for city driving, got to mingle with the traffic a bit.  Steering is very responsive and accurate, as there was very little play in the wheel.  When traffic was light, I was able to just do some fast lane changing and it was very fun to say the least.  Visibility is great as we sit pretty high for such a small car.  So I think I had a smile plastered across my face as I was driving.  I just wish I could have gotten on the freeway to test out the acceleration, but that was just not possible.  The clutch is a bit light for me, but I was told that this is typical of Italian cars.  I drive a Saab and it has a much more heavy feel to it.  For me the brake pedal was quite sensitive and the brakes grabbed very well.  Those first couple minutes driving were very fun, as i must have pushed the pedal a bit to firmly, which sent us all doing the head bobbing thing with every stop.

At the end of it all, I was very impressed with the car and how it handled.  I had some doubts as to really getting the car, but with this test drive, I would be very happy to drive this car everyday.  It really was a joy to drive.  Now if only San Diego will have an open Fiat Studio by the time the car gets delivered.  I wouldn't mind the drive home from LA, but a local dealer would be better. Are you listening Fiat

Re: Test drove one!

Anthony
PE#454,

Two things that aren't mutually exclusive: a sport suspension and comfort. My father's Porsche engages the driver with the road while absorbing awful New England roads with ease. Somehow FIAT has delivered the same experience. It's taught, engaging yet not jarring at all, even in double sport mode (sport trim + sport button engaged). The Mini's harshness was one of the main reasons he passed over buying one.

Anthony

Re: Test drove one!

Anthony
jvsgabriel,

I also noticed the light clutch. My first car was a Saab 900 followed by manual transmission Volvos - so I know my heavy clutches and prefer them to the lighter FIAT version. Still, it's better than the Japanese "featherweight" clutch. And, this should be an easy car for beginners to learn the pleasures of a stick shift.

Anthony

Re: Test drove one!

PE#454
Thanks again, Anthony; that leaves me with some hope. While I love my MINI (except for that), I can't wait to get behind the wheel of a Fiat again--at long last!

Re: Test drove one!

sketch
I didn't turn the radio on during my test drive last Tuesday either, but that's because the radio in the demo car didn't work...

The car was a pleasure, but as I posted in the "tall drivers" thread, at six-foot-two I had a little trouble finding a comfortable position under the sunroof.  I fit best in a driving position which isn't really suited for the car, but it's workable, and I still really want the little guy.

Power is definitely sufficient, and I did have the chance to really get into it once or twice; once you hit 4500 or 5000 rpm, the tach shoots forward really quickly to the redline.  You really gotta string it out to get all that power, which I'm totally fine with. :P

I did get a chance to take it up on the interstate, and it moved well enough.  I floored the pedal up an overpass in fourth gear at 72mph, and while it didn't do so very quickly, it did actually accelerate a bit.  Lesson: don't be afraid to shift.

The one problem with the interstate trip was trying to exit—all the Titans and Sequoias didn't see me when I was trying to get over!   It was a little scary at first only because I wasn't familiar with the car and because I was a bit nervous.

Oh, and that little convex mirrorlet on the driver's side is completely necessary.  Where I was sitting, the blind spot the B-pillar makes is monstrous.  I have the mirrors in my Prius set in the NHTSA-recommended manner and rarely have to turn my head to change lanes, though, and I got used to the Fiat in minutes.

It's a great car, I'm just iffy about having ordered a sunroof with my height.  I've been wanting a sunroof for years, though, and I definitely don't wanna give up my Prima!

Re: Test drove one!

Substantial
Hi Anthony,

  Yes I think the fiat comes in between the more effortful Swedish clutches and the super light Japanese ones.  I do agree that this one is perfect for newbies learning stick shift.  But such a fun car to drive to the limit.

Joel

Re: Clutches

Having driven several manuals, (2 80's era Hondas and my current ride, a 1992 Ford Ranger truck), I've noticed something in regards to clutches.

Both the 83 Civic and the 88 Honda Accord had cable actuated clutches (yeah, I know the Accord originally had a hydraulic unit and if memory serves, went back to a hydraulic unit in the 4th Gen model, beginning in 1990), but for some reason the '86-89, 3rd gen Accords had cables for the clutch instead, the Civic always were, don't know about the later ones though.

Anyway, the truck I drive now has a hydraulic unit and the major difference is the cable actuated clutches tend to be both lighter but also more of a direct feel, letting you now when the clutch engages, which I liked and didn't find the light clutch an issue at all. Now the truck has a definite weighty feel to it, but it's not super heavy like in some vehicles but definitely not one you'd care to hold in while slugging along in rush hour traffic however but doable in those situations in any event.

One thing about hydraulic clutches is not all of them will give you good feedback in so far as their engagement, but the clutch in the truck is fantastic at that, which I like.

So that has had me wondering (if anyone knows) is the clutch in the Fiat cable or hydraulic?

Re: Clutches

sketch
Based on your post, I would imagine that it's hydraulic.  I remember it had little to no indication of where its engagement point was, which led me to stall once or twice during the test drive. :P  Imagine my embarrassment when it took me a while to discover that you have to turn the key back from ON before trying to start it again!

Re: Clutches

ciddyguy
sketch wrote
Based on your post, I would imagine that it's hydraulic.  I remember it had little to no indication of where its engagement point was, which led me to stall once or twice during the test drive. :P  Imagine my embarrassment when it took me a while to discover that you have to turn the key back from ON before trying to start it again!
The key thing, I know that's been common on German cars and there is a reason for this as I understand it, to prevent grinding the starter. Seems most now have a safety switch that prevents you from trying to start the car by disabling the start mode while the car is actually running, but once you've stalled the motor, you can then restart.

This thing of turning to run (or off) then restarting goes back to the 70's when such safety switches didn't exist as I learned when a good friend had a '77 Rabbit back in the mid to late 80's for a short time.

I think his '80 SAAB did this too but don't know for sure but that was about 18 years ago too.

Re: The clutch

One thing I should say is that when I first got the truck, but the same thing with both Hondas to a degree is that with any new car, where it lets out differs from car to car and once you have figured out where that let out is, getting used to the clutch becomes easier as I was not used to the clutch letting out low when I got the truck, thanks to a new clutch plate and it let up rather abruptly (had about 200 miles on it at the time), once I've driven it a bit and it broke in, I can now tell where it lets up and how to manipulate it to my needs. Today, I shift smoother than I have with either Honda and part of that is I'm older and having driven a stick for much longer (previous cars prior to the Hondas were automatics from the big three).

And to add to this, I had to drive the 83 Civic for a time with a worn clutch as it slipped if you weren't careful (even when adjusted and that wasn't easy with the old cable) so had to go easy on the gas to prevent slipping until I got it replaced a short time later.

Once the new clutch was installed (along with a fresh cable), it was fine and was MUCH lighter feeling than it had been as the old cable was stiff as a board due to binding and such. But I had to get used to the new clutch there as well.

12