Test Post: Can't decide on headlights!

Rusty

At first thought, I'd probably go with the optional xenons because:

1. Brighter, more visibility.

2. Cool self washing function.

3. Look awesome on the Fiat 500's.

Though if I think about getting the Abarth:

1. They increase the cost on the already more expensive Abarth.

2. The non-xenon bulb doesn't look too bad anyway, especially on an old-school fun hot-hatch kind of car.

3. I kind of like the idea of the fogs, day time running lights, and non-xenon lights matching more in color.  This is in contrast to if the headlights stuck out more from the other safety lights with a more white-blue ish hue (although brighter).

Not that this forum just hasn't begun, but for the population that will be (: what's everyone else's opinion/preferences on headlight options?

Re: Test Post: Can't decide on headlights!

ciddyguy
I'm not sure I'd go for the Xenon headlights or even the HID variants because I've heard issues with them causing even more glare than regular headlights, especially from the elderly driving at night especially and with their abrupt cut off, they tend to flicker more as the car moves up and down, an annoyance to be sure.

I did read somewhere that in Euro spec, the standard headlights aren't so good in terms of output and light pattern are concerned.

I'm leaning towards the sport myself and if money is there, have it fitted with the operational skydome sunroof.

The Sport comes with fog lights standard, optional on the the Lounge and Pop, in Europe anyway.

Re: Test Post: Can't decide on headlights!

I'd take the Xenon (if I can afford them). I have them on my Audi and they are cool.

A lot of problems with Xenon lights stem from the fact that if it is an aftermarket add on, the reflector hasn't been designed for the light. Also, the car should have auto-leveling headlights to assure people don't get blinded.

I've always been careful to make sure my headlights were always aimed properly so I wouldn't blind anyone. Being considerate is becoming less common though.

I like the look of the projector beam light, so I'll be happy either way.

Re: Test Post: Can't decide on headlights!

kbob
US regulations on headlights are different from anywhere else in the world.  Most automakers have to design different light assemblies for US-bound cars.  So I don't think we really know whether there will be an HID option, let alone how it will compare to the base headlights.

Fortunately, with a midwinter launch, there'll be ample opportunity for a test drive after dark. (-:

Re: Test Post: Can't decide on headlights!

sketch
I would recommend always choosing factory HID headlamps, when available.  They're pretty much universally better at illuminating the road—with a purer white, too—and they pretty much always look better.

The sharp cutoff is there for a reason: less glare to other drivers.  It may cause some sort of "flicker" to other drivers if you're going over bumps, but how often are you going over bumps?  The "glare problems" cited with "HIDs" that everyone hears about only really exist with improperly fitted (aftermarket) xenon bulbs.

That said, I've ordered the Prima Edizione, so I guess I'll get what I get :P

Re: Test Post: Can't decide on headlights!

Rusty
Interesting, by the way anyone see the Italian Job remake? Those Mini Coopers had like six additional fog/DRL lights after the headlights.  It's a bit much, but I am excited to see how all the lights will look on the 500/Abarth in someone's rear view at night :D

Re: Test Post: Can't decide on headlights!

Hey Rusty, How about this set! LOL

Re: Test Post: Can't decide on headlights!

kbob
I love the R3T's lights!  But my wife has issued an edict: Not Acceptable. :-(

They don't look like they would adapt to the US model very easily anyway.

Re: Test Post: Can't decide on headlights!

ophidia31
I like the normal halogen lights the best. The others break the front up too much to me. The thign that would look neat is just a halo retrofit on the hid lights. That way, itd look like two eyes on the front even more than it does in that picture.  Otherwise, give me the standard halogens.

Re: Test Post: Can't decide on headlights!

Mike S
ophidia31 wrote
I like the normal halogen lights the best. The others break the front up too much to me. The thign that would look neat is just a halo retrofit on the hid lights. That way, itd look like two eyes on the front even more than it does in that picture.  Otherwise, give me the standard halogens.
I agree!

Newer lights may be brighter or whiter but don't illuminate the road as well as older halogens with good lenses.

I have a late model Volvo with bi-xenon lights which I think suck.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that all HIDs are worse, in fact, in my experience it's been the other way around.  Also, I read a review of the Euro 1.2l which says the headlights (which I'd imagine are halogen on a 1.2l) are rather useless.

Re: Test Post: Can't decide on headlights!

ophidia31
If the halogen lights that come on the us version arent that good either, a simple bulb and harness upgrade iwill probably do the trick. Im not talking about those dumb gimmick colored ones, just normal lights with just a bit higher wattage. More than likely, the stock harness will be using ~18g wire which is subpar for the output you can achieve. Youll probably notice a difference with some larger wire by just using the stock bulbs. I do this on all my cars and notice a slight increase in output now that the bottle neck is gone.

Re: Test Post: Can't decide on headlights!

Rusty
Hahaha no way! That's pretty awesome Chris.  I'll keep my thumbs crossed that there'll be plenty of similar after market parts soon :3

The vinyl doesn't look bad either... maybe it'd stick out too much for my daily driver though hmmm.... next up on decision list: color and stripe scheme.