Stick vs Auto- UPDATE

SeaDawg
This post was updated on .
05/11/2011 - Called Orlando Studio yesterday afternoon - turns out the car that was scheduled to be delivered 05/13 is now scheduled to arrive 05/23 which is a week AFTER my draft expires.  I actually found a Rosso equipped the way I want over at Sunset Fiat in Sarasota so will call them tomorrow to see what their 'dealer fee' is and then decide whether to try and get the Orlando dealer to get it over here by the end of this week or to drive over to Sarasota myself and consummate the deal.
------------------
Just went to the local Fiat Studio (Orlando).  Appears that the marketing department of Fiat (Corporate) has decided that almost EVERYBODY in Orlando wants an AUTOMATIC 500.

They didn't have one Manual Transmission Sport with Safety and Convenience Package, Safety and Sound Package, and Power Sunroof scheduled to arrive before mid May and then there was only ONE!

Not wanting to wait another two months for a custom order to arrive I took the Azurro (Blue) with Brown Interior and the other options I wanted.  They are going to try and expedite the shipment to arrive earlier than Mid May.

As someone out in California said sometime back, I've never found it so difficult to purchase a car with money in hand!!!

Re: Stick vs Auto

FiATL
I had the same issue.  Automatics were plenty but I could have had Silver or Black with the options I wanted, which was just Safety and Convenience.   I ordered on April 6th or 8th..don't remember now and couldn't order Rame due to the earthquake driven pigment shortage.   So my car should be here in a few weeks...I'm hoping.  Scheduled to be released from the plant on May 2nd!!!

Congrats on a unique combo.  Should look good.
Chris B
Roswell GA
Sport 5 speed.  Verde Oliva w/ Marrone
Ordered: 4/8  Delivered 5/25

Re: Stick vs Auto

Most Americans want automatics.

Re: Stick vs Auto

cogtooth
It took my Fiat six weeks to arrive with all the options you listed.  Out of over 70 cars at the local dealer, only one had the same options, but in the wrong color.  Almost all cars at the dealer are automatics.  If I had wanted an automatic, it would have been so easy and quick.
Bianco Perla Sport

Re: Stick vs Auto

SeaDawg
sjmst wrote
Most Americans want automatics.
Not meaning to push any buttons or pull any chains, but I think most FEMALE drivers prefer automatics (although Erin Burnett of CNBC doesn't) while most MALES prefer stick shifts.  I'd really have PREFERRED a 6 speed manual.  I hope they will consider it when they update the model in the coming years.

Re: Stick vs Auto

SeaDawg
FiATL wrote
Scheduled to be released from the plant on May 2nd!!!

Congrats on a unique combo.  Should look good.
Like you, I'm going to try and find a Marrone colored shift boot.  Do you have any idea what color the carpet is in the Marrone interior?  I'm thinking of ordering a set of cocomats to protect the front carpet.

Fields in Orlando has a Verde Olivo on the floor right now.  I saw where you were saying you hoped it was more green.  Maybe out in direct sunlight it will be but on the showroom floor it was so dark it almost seemed like a deep charcoal color from some angles.  The metallic paint was gorgeous, it just is such a really DARK green.

Keep us informed of its status.

Re: Stick vs Auto

SeaDawg wrote
sjmst wrote
Most Americans want automatics.
Not meaning to push any buttons or pull any chains, but I think most FEMALE drivers prefer automatics (although Erin Burnett of CNBC doesn't) while most MALES prefer stick shifts.  I'd really have PREFERRED a 6 speed manual.  I hope they will consider it when they update the model in the coming years.
"According to the Detroit News, more than 91 percent of 2009 model year cars sold in the United States came equipped with an automatic transmission. "

So, for that 9% that drive manuals, yes, I bet most are male. But as I said, most Americans want automatics. Fiat knows that.

Re: Stick vs Auto

SeaDawg
sjmst wrote
Most Americans want automatics.
Most American males prefer domestic TRANQUILITY!

I'm SINGLE.

Re: Stick vs Auto

Giallo Edizione
Of approximately 210 vehicles now in my dealer's inventory, 23 are manuals, which pretty much mimics the 90/10 ratio. That ratio some respects is unfair to me given so many brands only come in automatic and many that do offer manuals are in base models of sort of un-fun cars ( Honda Accord, Toyota Yaris) so folks have little choice-but I guess they'd choose automatics in their Lexus anyway.

I guess I have this perverse idea that they are selling against MINI and the vast number of MINI's sold are manuals, so Chrysler should reflect that in their assortment. Maybe Chrysler-FIAT just sees this car as a cute grocery-getter runabout competing against Asian imports. The automatics certainly are easy enough to drive and not terribly objectionable. They just seem to lose some of the fun factor that I think the FIAT demographic would be more interested in than Joe Average car buyer. Both my daughters can drive manuals as can my wife so my perspective is a bit skewed as well.

I'll have to run up to the dealer soon and ask them if their selling trends so far is reflecting the ratio provided to them by Chrysler in this inventory.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Stick vs Auto

prima 109
Keep in mind that you can custom order your car rather that "settle" for an automatic, unless your pressed for time.  that's the bueaty of the "studio" concept.  IMHO.
Craig #109 Rosso with sunroof/post assembly block heater.

Re: Stick vs Auto

lirandy
sjmst wrote
Most Americans want automatics.
Totally agree, especially with the traffic in here at LA. Driving manual in a bumper-to-bumper traffic for an hour or two every single days is absolutely not fun. But I am also glad that "most americans want automatics" so that I could be able to get a PE even tho I couldn't make myself into the PE reserve program.
#485 Bianco w/ sunroof
Always miss my Subies....

Re: Stick vs Auto

pdxplm
I was totally surprised when I did my test drive, the Sport was a manual.  Of course I had to get used to the difference in clutch/gas, but at least I didn't stall or kill the engine!  That puppy took off like crazy....really didn't make it out to be the claimed 9 secs from 0 - 60!

Re: Stick vs Auto- UPDATE

SeaDawg
<quote author="SeaDawg">
05/11/2011 - Called Orlando Studio yesterday afternoon - turns out the car that was scheduled to be delivered 05/13 is now scheduled to arrive 05/23 which is a week AFTER my draft expires.  I actually found a Rosso equipped the way I want over at Sunset Fiat in Sarasota so will call them tomorrow to see what their 'dealer fee' is and then decide whether to try and get the Orlando dealer to get it over here by the end of this week or to drive over to Sarasota myself and consummate the deal.
------------------
<quote>
Later today 5/11/2011
YAY, FINALLY!!!  Called Sunset Fiat in Sarasota this morning; they had Rosso sport with options I wanted.  Called Fields Fiat in Orlando.  They told me other dealers not releasing ANY cars.  Sent an email for appraisal of my tradein to Sunset and got a call back in less than an hour.  Scanned dox and created pdf files to send to Sarasota...they had all paperwork ready when I rolled in at approx. 2:30 pm this afternoon.  Paperwork was completed and I was on my way home before 4:00 pm.  Tim Reeher is the Sales Manager for Sunset Fiat and a BIG KUDO to him for his excellent POSITIVE attitude also the professional resolution to the one problem that popped up during the PDI.  Car was washed, clean inside and full tank of premium gas, BEFORE I got there.  Also many thanks to Daniel for the quick paperwork drill.  BTW, they have an ORPHAN PE...ROSSO, NO sunroof.

Just an OLD poop and his NEW puppy!

Re: Stick vs Auto- UPDATE

ciddyguy
<quote author="SeaDawg">
<quote author="SeaDawg">
[...]

Nice! I'm leaning towards red myself, but also perhaps Gialo but would need to see it in the flesh like I have the Russo.

Great news SeaDawg.  That is awesome!  Man, that was fast!

Re: Stick vs Auto- UPDATE

jamesday24
Glad you finally got your 500.  Too bad you weren't able to buy it from Fields.  I'll watch for you around town since I'm still waiting to spot another 500.
Bianco Prima Edizione 345 from Fields FIAT

Re: Stick vs Auto- UPDATE

NICE, congrats!

Re: Stick vs Auto- UPDATE

SeaDawg
jamesday24 wrote
Glad you finally got your 500.  Too bad you weren't able to buy it from Fields.  I'll watch for you around town since I'm still waiting to spot another 500.
Yeah.  I went by Fields Fiat of Orlando this morning and you can hardly get around for the automatic 500's.  I did see one base manual transmission Mocha Latte Sport on the floor.

I had stopped by to pick up my deposit check, which I had dropped off at the end of  MARCH over at the Mini dealership.  I was really ticked off when Tom M. said 'We deposited it and we'll put in a refund request.  It'll be about TWO WEEKS.'  I resisted the urge to YELL at the top of my lungs WHY?!  There was NO special order done and we were just waiting for a certain vehicle to arrive which wasn't due till the 23rd of May if I had the time to wait...which I didn't without having to reapply for a new draft.  And I told them that numerous times.

I have a strong suspicion they JUST deposited it in the last few days, as a closer look at my credit union account shows it cleared 5/11 the same day I picked up my new Fiat over in Sarasota.

Personally I feel I went the extra mile.  The sheet I have from when I dropped off my deposit check back in March says #1 Deposit, 1st on waiting list.  Yet here we are, almost TWO months since then and almost a month after the dealership opened and they STILL do NOT have a manual transmission Sport w/ Sunroof, Convenience Safety Package and Convenience Sound package.  Of course they may have had one and sold it before I got to the dealership after I found out here that it actually opened a week earlier than I had been told by Larry T.

I wonder if they are under an unusual amount of stress at Fields.  Tom looked like he forgot to shave this morning and certainly didn't radiate the positive energy of the people over in Sarasota.  Even Larry Taylor's tone yesterday morning wasn't what I would describe as 'friendly' when I was asking about getting the car from Sunset so I could purchase it through Fields.

Fiat Marketing certainly isn't doing those who want a manual transmission Fiat any favors.  And the lack of these vehicles may well be generating some bad word of mouth from prospective customers.

Re: Stick vs Auto

SeaDawg
sjmst wrote
Most Americans want automatics.
Apparently NOT true when it comes to the Cinquecento!  Laura S. says Fiat is having problems keeping up with demand for North American MANUAL transmission 500's.  Sounds like demand for Fiats in the US is NOT 90% automatic 10% Manual.

I tried to contain myself, but I escaped!