SPORT BUTTON? Really??

Rick
OK I'm ready to dub the Sport Button the Placebo Button.  I've tried over and over and can tell no difference.  Before I get assassinated here I am no stranger to hi performance cars and exotic cars of all types tho mainly Porsche cars.  I also drive a race car.  When I turn the button on and off I'll be damned if it does anything.  I've also tried a friends car.  Same deal.
Comments please.
HotFiat.com
Oops.  I Fiated again!
Prima Edizione #373
1960 Fiat Multipla

Re: SPORT BUTTON? Really??

sonicsby5
Seems to work for me.  I think it changes the throttle tip in.  Makes it more responsive.  Less pressure on the accel. to get it going.  It's slight, but perceptible.
#215 - First 500 Delivery in Washington

Re: SPORT BUTTON? Really??

Minuszka
It also suppose to tighten the steering

Re: SPORT BUTTON? Really??

5*(10)^2
The throttle response is more sensitive. I doubt the button alters the ECU map. Rather, it alters the resistance in the DBW. I am thinking more in line with what SprintBooster does.

And like Minuszka said, the steering wheel does tighten up a bit. Though I doubt it's adjusting the suspension electronically...rather the hydraulics in the power steering pump is electrically adjusted. This brings us to another point...we have an electric PS system. Can someone confirm that?

Re: SPORT BUTTON? Really??

Doodles
rhart wrote
OK I'm ready to dub the Sport Button the Placebo Button.  I've tried over and over and can tell no difference.  Before I get assassinated here I am no stranger to hi performance cars and exotic cars of all types tho mainly Porsche cars.  I also drive a race car.  When I turn the button on and off I'll be damned if it does anything.  I've also tried a friends car.  Same deal.
Comments please.

I definitely see a difference. especially in 2nd or third. step on the gas and you move pretty good. I found myself doing 60 really quick. I haven't got to 4th or 5th yet; don't need in 40 mph roads.

Re: SPORT BUTTON? Really??

Thad
Power steering is electric. Sport mode changes throttle response and tightens steering. I think it is quite noticeable. There is no electronic suspension. I only wish the Sport mode would default to the last setting when restarting the car instead of defaulting to off.

Re: SPORT BUTTON? Really??

Giallo Edizione
Thad wrote
Power steering is electric. Sport mode changes throttle response and tightens steering. I think it is quite noticeable. There is no electronic suspension. I only wish the Sport mode would default to the last setting when restarting the car instead of defaulting to off.
Agree, very noticeable to me. I accidentally left a little rubber on the road chirping out in first. Yeah I know, break -in and all that. Steering difference easily felt by me.  I agree, somebody needs to make a plug-in circuit that defaults to sport setting, and also auto-ups the windows and turns on the fogs with the headlights. That exact circuit is made by a guy for MINI's to solve the same issues ( I installed one in mine)  and should be do-able for the 500. Anybody listening out there? Money to be made here.....
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: SPORT BUTTON? Really??

Rick
I'm on it.
Can you tell me if it is hardware or software.
HotFiat.com
Oops.  I Fiated again!
Prima Edizione #373
1960 Fiat Multipla

Re: SPORT BUTTON? Really??

Giallo Edizione wrote
Thad wrote
Power steering is electric. Sport mode changes throttle response and tightens steering. I think it is quite noticeable. There is no electronic suspension. I only wish the Sport mode would default to the last setting when restarting the car instead of defaulting to off.
Agree, very noticeable to me. I accidentally left a little rubber on the road chirping out in first. Yeah I know, break -in and all that. Steering difference easily felt by me.  I agree, somebody needs to make a plug-in circuit that defaults to sport setting, and also auto-ups the windows and turns on the fogs with the headlights. That exact circuit is made by a guy for MINI's to solve the same issues ( I installed one in mine)  and should be do-able for the 500. Anybody listening out there? Money to be made here.....
I thought the fog lights would automatically come on when you turn on the headlight switch, as long as the switch to the fog light is on, unless it's one of those switches that automatically defaults to OFF every time you either turn off the headlights or shut the car down.

As for the power steering, yes, electrically assisted and it is supposed to make the steering super light when not in Sport mode for around town maneuvers such as parallel parking, enough so that one finger is all you need...

Re: SPORT BUTTON? Really??

Rick
Interesting.  I have two PE's at my disposal.  One car is distinctly easier to steer than other.  NOT related to the sport button.  I wonder if the PS unit is hand set ... some getting set diff. than others.
The one with very light steering exhibits zero, none zip change with sport button. (Or throttle tip in)
HotFiat.com
Oops.  I Fiated again!
Prima Edizione #373
1960 Fiat Multipla

Re: SPORT BUTTON? Really??

Giallo Edizione
rhart wrote
The MINI one is hardware ( unless the was code baked into the circuit board). As I recall there was a little circuit board with ribbon connectors. If you want I can search around for the source ( Known as Ian's ciruit) and you could get one if he still makes them for $35 and reverse engineer it. No doubt it will need to be differenet as the mini had all those toggle switches together at the bottom center of the dash so you just had to remove the panel below, use a mirror to what you were doing, along with the eyes in your hands, unplug the stock ribbon and install the circuit between and button it back up. Then pay a visit to your back doctor.  FIAT is a little more spread out and it looks like taking the cover off the center stack is going to be  more involved than a little panel. But you guys in the trade know how to figure these things out! It would be a huge seller if it was a simple DIY install and worked.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: SPORT BUTTON? Really??

Giallo Edizione
5*(10)^2 wrote

My thoughts exactly.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: SPORT BUTTON? Really??

Rick
Thanks guys.  I've already called on Ian's circuitboard.
Didn't track him down til after hours on Friday night so hope to do something this coming week with him.
Rick
HotFiat.com
Oops.  I Fiated again!
Prima Edizione #373
1960 Fiat Multipla

Re: SPORT BUTTON? Really??

Giallo Edizione
rhart wrote
That will be an excellent product solving these irritating issues. Now, if we could option out the auto-off headlights so we aren't driving around the next day with them on,  have a separate dimmer for the speedo/tach that is independent of EVIC display and heating/window controls, radio) , DRL's on full bright with headlights on......
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: SPORT BUTTON? Really??

I have to experiment more, but I am not noticing a huge difference.

Re: SPORT BUTTON? Really??

5*(10)^2
Yep.

And to make sport mode come on when ign is on, use a couple of 2N4401 NPN, 5V regulator, a logic gate (I am thinking NOT for the initial pass) in parallel to the existing circuit. Maybe throw in some caps/resistors to dampen the signal a bit.

Re: SPORT BUTTON? Really??

Rick
I'm already working with the engineer that made the Mini version of this.  We will be offering it up on HotFiat.com as soon as finished. It will also "one touch up" the windows.
Rick
HotFiat.com
HotFiat.com
Oops.  I Fiated again!
Prima Edizione #373
1960 Fiat Multipla

Re: SPORT BUTTON? Really??

Giallo Edizione
rhart wrote
I'm already working with the engineer that made the Mini version of this.  We will be offering it up on HotFiat.com as soon as finished. It will also "one touch up" the windows.
Rick
HotFiat.com

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! I 'll be the first to order. I'll pre-order.

Don't forget the "fogs on with headlights" component.

Ian is a good guy. I'm glad you are providing him with another outlet for his great work.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: SPORT BUTTON? Really??

Rick
Thanks for the input Gaillo

Ian is a great guy.  We have some similar interests.  Anyone who is a physicist and says that enables him to bullsh** people with finesse is my kind a guy.

A smidge of input if you will.  And from anyone else..
I leave my lights on all the time.  They turn off with the key of course.  So net effect is I use them for daytime driving lights.  My trepidation is I'm not sure I want to burn both headlights and fogs.  Do you think having fogs come on with headlights at all times is desirable?  An informal poll of one and whoever else wants to chime in.

By the way, is there anything else on your wish list the HotFiat.com should carry?  Esp. if Ian can make it.  I'm already working on a non reflective speedo glass.
Rick
HotFiat.com
Oops.  I Fiated again!
Prima Edizione #373
1960 Fiat Multipla

Re: SPORT BUTTON? Really??

cogtooth
My vote would be to not have cars use fog lights unless there is fog.  So, I like the foglight switch the way it is.  The foglights seem to make seeing up close better, but then your distance night vision is reduced.  As for dashboard lights, I prefer the Saab system of a "night panel" switch which turns off all the non essential dashboard lights, usually just leaving part of the speedo and pushbutton lights on.
Bianco Perla Sport
12