Road noise of Sport vs. Others

italophile
Greetings!

Does anyone know how the road noise of the Sport compares to the Pop?  I would think it would be worse, on account of its wider tires, but is it a significant difference?  I'd rather have the better handling of the Sport and I don't mind a firm ride, but road noise is an irritation I'd like to minimize.

On the other hand, it seems like base model cars are often cheapened in hidden ways - like using less soundproofing.  Has anyone compared the two?

Re: Road noise of Sport vs. Others

ciddyguy
I can't say for certain if there is a difference in soundproofing, but I doubt that but one thing you will get as a difference between both the Pop and Lounge Vs the Sport is the suspension, they are not as firm as in the Sport, I think all three will have very good soundproofing, the main thing the sport adds is a bit more of an exhaust note for that sporting sound and the engine and exhaust noise itself is only really noticeable when revved up high, but at around 3000rpm, it doesn't seem to intrude much if at all which is where I think it resides when cruising along on the highway.

That is one of the major things Fiat did when the redesigned this car for the US, along with improved crumple zones and strengthened cabin, they added sound proofing, improved door seals to ward off wind and road noise, stuff like that as they knew, going in that we Americans generally don't like that too much.

But in the end, the essential essence of the car has been retained despite these differences, which actually made the car better than its Euro counterpart from what I've read.

Re: Road noise of Sport vs. Others

CaliberSRT4
Are you sure the exhaust is different on the Sport? I was under the impression that it was the same, aside from the chrome tip.

Re: Road noise of Sport vs. Others

The exhaust is different and it sounds cool!

Re: Road noise of Sport vs. Others

italophile wrote
Greetings!

Does anyone know how the road noise of the Sport compares to the Pop?  I would think it would be worse, on account of its wider tires, but is it a significant difference?  I'd rather have the better handling of the Sport and I don't mind a firm ride, but road noise is an irritation I'd like to minimize.

On the other hand, it seems like base model cars are often cheapened in hidden ways - like using less soundproofing.  Has anyone compared the two?

Hi italophile, welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't say the Sport I drove was noisy. I did drive a Lounge, but it was mostly through the streets and outskirts of San Diego. I didn't get to do steady highway testing.  If I had to guess the Lounge would probably be quieter due to the different exhaust on the Sport and trans and tire differences.

By the way, a Friend who has a Sport says the Pirelli's deliver excellent snow traction, he's having a blast doing 40-50mph drifts through the snow!
Prima Edizione  29