Road & Track first drive of the US 500

cinquecento
http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/drives/2011-fiat-500

Interesting read.  Not a ton we didn't know or couldn't have guessed, though.  Conspicuous lack of real photos or definitive info and options.  No mention of the Prima.
398 -> 24

Re: Road & Track first drive of the US 500

ciddyguy
A great article, however it's a car buff mag and they sadly didn't quite get the facts right about availability. That is, the car isn't officially being sold or will be available until March when the dealers are expected to begin coming online, although only the Prima's were available for pre-order.

But the review itself is quite favorable to the little car and it's good to know that the automatic is more than capable of keeping the performance up to snuff.

As with any small displacement motor, one has to spool up the revs to give it grunt, unless it's turbo'ed and then you aren't having to run the rev's as high as typically, a turbo will drop the peak hp to less than 2000rpm and up the torque but even so, with 101hp on tap, it sounds like this motor is more than capable as is.

Re: Road & Track first drive of the US 500

Thanks for the link and the heads up. I'll get a post up on the main page.

A couple of things stood out:  he liked the auto trans and the ride (which could have been slammed due to the rotten NY roads) also was put in a positive light.

Road&Track was always fair to Fiat in the 60's and 70's. If I remember correctly, by the late 70's, they tested more Fiats than any other car and it almost made it on one of their anniversary's cover. It was beat out by a Porsche (which I think was the second most tested make by them).

I might have that reversed, but I know it was very close. I have the issue here... somewhere....

Re: Road & Track first drive of the US 500

Small Car Lover
First off, thanks to fiat500usa blog for the most comprehensive source of 500 information on the web. This blog is fabulous!

I have been following the 500 introduction with great interest. It's the first car in the last 15 years that I am really excited about. Being light weight and designed with a simple purity lends it to be a true enthusiast's car.  My only concern has been the twist beam rear suspension. I'm desperate to replace a 16 year old Acura (fully independent wishbones) with the upcoming Abarth. The discussion of the ride and handling in this review leads me to believe a twist beam rear suspension can be made compliant with good wheel travel and have good geometry control (essential traits for good handling on less than perfect roads).

Bring on the 500 and the Abarth!  Welcome back Fiat.

Re: Road & Track first drive of the US 500

Small Car Lover wrote
First off, thanks to fiat500usa blog for the most comprehensive source of 500 information on the web. This blog is fabulous!

I have been following the 500 introduction with great interest. It's the first car in the last 15 years that I am really excited about. Being light weight and designed with a simple purity lends it to be a true enthusiast's car.  My only concern has been the twist beam rear suspension. I'm desperate to replace a 16 year old Acura (fully independent wishbones) with the upcoming Abarth. The discussion of the ride and handling in this review leads me to believe a twist beam rear suspension can be made compliant with good wheel travel and have good geometry control (essential traits for good handling on less than perfect roads).

Bring on the 500 and the Abarth!  Welcome back Fiat.
Thanks Small Car Lover!

The twist beam rear axle has been upgraded to 21st century standards. I remember it from the 70s in Rabbits/Golfs, but has evolved since then.

Here's a story I did on suspension a little while ago:

Fiat 500 Suspension story
Prima Edizione  29