No PE delivery at local dealer

PE#454
You know, I'm really not pleased about the fact that, as one who has enough faith in Fiat to reserve a Prima Edizione, I am expected to travel out of state to accept delivery of my PE. HQ, in their rush to get the 500s to US market, seems to be making too big of a deal about the "style" of delivery (at actual Fiat Studio) rather than taking into account what we the enthusiasts (and ambassadors, as someone else here noted) want. Most of us want to deal with our local dealers--the guys who will be doing our servicing. Why would I want to travel 150 some-odd miles to accept delivery/do the paperwork/provide my car as trade-in to a guy I'll never see again?

I expressed my frustration to my local guy yesterday, and he passed that on to the regional guy, who is ''running it up the ladder.'' I think if enough of us let Fiat know of our..."disenchantment" ...they might be willing to reconsider delivery options.

Re: No PE delivery at local dealer

Vlad92
I completely agree!!!  While no official call yet, I'm being told by my dealer that I must go to Kansas City to get my Prima (200 miles away).  While I want the Fiat experience as much as the next guy I would like the option to waive the experience in exchange for delivery at my local Chrysler dealer.  The other option would be to waive the $500 home delivery fee and make it free.

Re: No PE delivery at local dealer

PE#454
Well, the odd thing was...

At the same time I was on hold yesterday with Fiat, I was texting my local dealer. When the Fiat rep told me that home delivery was $500 (he didn't specify at whose cost but I assumed it'd be mine) I let my LD know. He was then told by regional guy that that was incorrect.

So--if that's my only other option--WHY would they want to maneuver a tractor-trailer rig through neighborhoods of narrow surface roads (to get to my house, for example, which is on a dead-end road) when they could simply drop it off at my local dealer, who is on a major highway? And besides, the truck (assuming, for my region, that they will be loading the rigs from rail cars in Dallas) will have to pass through Little Rock to get to Memphis, anyway.

If I select home option (if it's true I don't incur that cost)--then who is going to actually SELL me the car? How do I handle trade-in??? It just seems like a whole lot of unnecessary hassle--for ALL concerned--just for aesthetics (yes, I know it's not that simple, but....)

Re: No PE delivery at local dealer

MrJones
Don't get me wrong--I'm totally on your side--but it is mentioned in the FAQ section of the Prima reservation program:
" Q:  Where will my Fiat 500 Prima Edizione be available for pick-up?

A:  Vehicle availability is limited to select authorized dealers in select states only. Fiat cannot guarantee that an authorized dealer will be located in a convenient location to you or even your state."

Yes, Fiat's logic is puzzling. When is the Little Rock Fiat supposed to open?

Don't you want to wait for the studio to open so they can drive your car down "a fashion-show type runway in [the] showroom... Each buyer will get a reserved time and tickets to bring friends for wine and cheese and to see the 500 arrive." (This is from Fiat of Austin).
I find that a little wierd and totally unnecessary!

Re: No PE delivery at local dealer

Mike S
They took the orders and should be doing more to deliver these cars. They were supposed to be in our hands as early as last December.

My local dealer has not even broken ground yet and that is the dealer they told me was the delivering dealer.

Re: No PE delivery at local dealer

Gavin
Dang....Where is that dealership?

Mine here in Albuquerque hasn't broken ground either...but they do have a current dealership showroom and such that one would think would be fine to take a simple Prima order.

Now El Paso has treated me great...so no complaints about that...just would prefer not to have a 600 mile round trip day to get my car....Drive 3 1/2 plus hours to El Paso....be at dealer for ??* how long to get all forms done...then 3 1/2 plus hour drive home....will be a long day...though the drive home will be fairly fun, well I could buy the Prima 2 miles from my house and then take a nice ride in my new car through the mountain twisties near my house...less boring miles, more fun miles :)

Gavin

* I have never bought a new car where it didn't take at least a couple of hours at the dealership...So a minimum 9 hour road trip to get my car home...ick...

Re: No PE delivery at local dealer

Agree with you 100% PE 454.
I am lucky to live close to NYC, so I had a choice of 3 local dealers. Even so, I was ready to go as far as Maryland, if that's what it took.

In regard to your situation, I am pretty sure you can raise a racket and get the car flatbedded to you paid for in full, or mostly, by Fiat.

Second. Contact your local dealer again, If they offer free laoner cars only for cars purchased there (a common practice) perhaps they will waive that in your case.

Good luck!

Re: No PE delivery at local dealer

Gavin wrote
[...]

Yeah, maybe make it an overnighter?

Re: No PE delivery at local dealer

Gavin
Well perhaps this will soften the blow for some people who have local dealers, but that the Primas can't be delivered too:

At least from the Dealer I have my Prima going too...who is 260 miles from me.

 Gavin,

Home deliver is no cost to you.
now maybe I'm just special and extra lovable....but more likely this is a decision from Fiat...

I actually kinda feel guilty having them bring the car out (the Studio director herself is going to come out with the car to deliver it to me...I was worried about a long day of travel and such going to El Paso...now I worry about the long day of travel and such that she will be doing...)

Anyways...the chances of me having the car bought to me is pretty high now that the cost is Zero.

Gavin

MrJones, I understand your point re: the FAQ (and appreciate your support); I guess my main point is that they are creating unnecessary difficulty for the PE buyers by adhering to a Studio roll-out, apparently merely for the sake of great (questionable) PR. If anyone can offer more common-sense reasons why they are hell-bent on sticking to "qualified" dealers (does that really mean dealers who already have their Studios completed?), I would be interested in hearing them--to assuage my annoyance.

* I have never bought a new car where it didn't take at least a couple of hours at the dealership...So a minimum 9 hour road trip to get my car home...ick...
Gavin, my local dealer told me when I first contacted him a couple of weeks ago that they were going to break ground on the Studio next month.

Re: No PE delivery at local dealer

PE#454
Another thing: if they do a home delivery, how will the paperwork and trade-in be handled?

Re: No PE delivery at local dealer

Gavin
They are bringing all paperwork with car to my house. All paperwork will be completed ahead of time on line and they will just bring what needs to be signed.

I haven't owned a car in 6 years, so no trade in. But I assume that could be handled ahead of time too and that they would just flatbed your old car back to the dealership.

Gavin

Re: No PE delivery at local dealer

MrJones
PE#454 wrote
Another thing: if they do a home delivery, how will the paperwork and trade-in be handled?
 You will likely have to go to the dealer with your trade-in car. They'll have to have it looked over, etc.

Your dealer hasn't even broken ground, and my dealer is already selling cars!
 My dealer (Bergstrom Milwaukee) sent me this link from CNBC that was broadcast from their studio. The reporter takes a little dig at Smart in the segment--much to the chagrin of the dealer, who happens to operate a Smart dealership nearby!

Re: No PE delivery at local dealer

sketch
This is a legal issue entirely.  The dealers that cannot sell you your PE cannot sell you your PE because they don't have their licenses yet.  They aren't legally allowed to sell cars.

There is a future dealer about 10 miles from my house.  It's not approved by Fiat for PE delivery.  The next nearest dealer is 350 miles away, in Shreveport, and this is the one to which my Cinquecento will be sent.

I talked to the dealer on the telephone today, and he informed me that they would deliver it to my home, free of charge, but that he could by law do nothing until he has his dealer license, which is in progress with the State of Louisiana.

That said, they have actually chosen a location for their studio, something I cannot say for Fiat of New Orleans.  I talked to the guy who's in charge of Fiat sales in New Orleans today, and all he could really tell me is that he is in a "holding pattern", and that they actually had to put their demo car under a car cover until they are approved.  The one positive thing I got from the conversation is that his dealer is 100% certified and prepared to service the Fiat 500, which is something I recommend you all check with your local dealers.

This is not Fiat's trying to force you to accept the car in a studio.  Why would they offer home delivery otherwise?  This is the government's not allowing you to purchase a new car from someone who is not allowed to sell new cars.  If you'd rather have a normal dealer experience, you're still free to give up your reservation at no cost to you and order a normal 500.  If you want to be one of the first five hundred people in the country to own this wonderful little car, then we'd be glad to have you.