Motor Trend First Drive 500C

SeaDawg
Here is the link: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/convertibles/1105_2012_fiat_500_cabrio/index.html

For MT I suppose this is about as good as it gets for impertinent European squirts.

Re: Motor Trend First Drive 500C

Jeepnut
Most of the reviews seem to be positive for the 500 I honestly quite listening to MT years ago if your not Toyota or BMW they will find something to complain about. I have read several reviews of the 500 that are bashing the hard plastic dash I currently drive a 2008 Mazda MX-5 and it has the same hard plastic dash and I never read one review of it that complains about the dash so it just goes to show the bias some sites have.

Re: Motor Trend First Drive 500C

RedVespaBlur
They complain several times about the trunk being small - when its bigger than the Mini's and has a real backseat unlike the Mini convertible

Re: Motor Trend First Drive 500C

SeaDawg wrote
Here is the link: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/convertibles/1105_2012_fiat_500_cabrio/index.html

For MT I suppose this is about as good as it gets for impertinent European squirts.
Not a bad article and they have one fact totally wrong, the original 500's engine hood actually is hinged from the BOTTOM, so it drops down to reveal the engine bay, not from the top as the current model's trunk does.

And while technically it's not a "true" convertible since side of the roof and body structure/support remains when open, that's OK in my book.

Still, not the best I've read and a lot of the "buff" mags tend to read like they suck up to some marquees for advertising dollars and thus can't or simply won't say much bad, if anything bad at all.

Still in all, I was expecting worse about this article and am thankful it wasn't what I expected.

Fox News 500C Review

RacerRon
Fox news just posted a review of the 500C. I was enjoying reading this when towards the end of the article the reviewer mentioned "Tony".

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/05/26/fiats-teeny-tiny-topless-car/?test=faces

Re: Fox News 500C Review

einy
The MT article says "on sale now" ... has anyone seen a 500c at their local dealership ... er, studio yet?

Re: Fox News 500C Review

cogtooth
Criswell lists 6 in stock on the website.
Bianco Perla Sport

Re: Fox News 500C Review

einy wrote
The MT article says "on sale now" ... has anyone seen a 500c at their local dealership ... er, studio yet?
If dealers don't have them already, they will shortly, they WERE en route to dealers since the NY auto show a few weeks back.

Re: Fox News 500C Review

RacerRon wrote
Fox news just posted a review of the 500C. I was enjoying reading this when towards the end of the article the reviewer mentioned "Tony".

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/05/26/fiats-teeny-tiny-topless-car/?test=faces
Great article Ron.

I didn't have a problem with the "Tony" reference as it WAS in context and no harm was intended and I didn't get the feeling the author was trying to be smart in that he went right on and said that it's something to fuggedaboutit, or at least don't worryaboutit so in that context, it's OK. What I WOULD get upset about, or at least annoyed is someone referring to these cars as junk by inferring the Tony remark and thinking they know better when they actually don't.

Re: Fox News 500C Review

Criswell has delivered a 500c and I believe 500 Madness has also gotten theirs, so yes, they are out there.

Re: Fox News 500C Review

SeaDawg
einy wrote
The MT article says "on sale now" ... has anyone seen a 500c at their local dealership ... er, studio yet?
Sunset Fiat of Sarasota had three delivered Wednesday, 25 May, while I was there.

Re: Fox News 500C Review

SeaDawg wrote
einy wrote
The MT article says "on sale now" ... has anyone seen a 500c at their local dealership ... er, studio yet?
Sunset Fiat of Sarasota had three delivered Wednesday, 25 May, while I was there.
Cool!  I drove a 500c last week, it is awesome!

Re: Fox News 500C Review

sjmst
Fiat500USA wrote
SeaDawg wrote
einy wrote
The MT article says "on sale now" ... has anyone seen a 500c at their local dealership ... er, studio yet?
Sunset Fiat of Sarasota had three delivered Wednesday, 25 May, while I was there.
Cool!  I drove a 500c last week, it is awesome!
I WANT!

Re: Fox News 500C Review

RedVespaBlur
Picking mine up this afternoon!

Re: Fox News 500C Review

Luckyme
The local studio has a pop & a lounge for  driving, I'll go try them on Sat morning... at last! Geesh.

Cincin,
Fortunatodime

Re: Fox News 500C Review

Luckyme
Surprise!
The mess in Japan has casued a shortage in metal flake used in the black and Rame; the order system is blocking those colrors.  No ETA!!

Ordered Rosso (not brillante); burgandy top Al whhels. Tomtom. Lux leather in red with avorio interior.
8 weeks, that's 2 months, that's August, yikes! Might still do Hot August Nights in Reno.

Lordy. Lordy the car is small, every time my wife sees it she bursts out laughing... this is a good thing... replacing an infinity that is a 2000 I30.   That's a limo. This is a car that fits in my shirtt pocket, lol.
The fun factor on the car is huge!
I'll post detailed cost on another thread
Cincin,
Fotunatodime
While the car will be mostly (I think) fow 1 or 2 person use,
Our son is still to young to be in the front seat, getting him out of the car in a carash was a concnern and cuase me to cancel PE173, ths soft top gives use two exits, the door and the top. Btw the cabrio is more fun than the sedan/coupe. The trunk opening  in the cabrio can be an issue. Not a deal breaker for us though.

 err

Re: Fox News 500C Review

Luckyme wrote
[...]

I really enjoyed driving the 500c.  The ride is softer than the Prima, but it still handles great. I live in NY and the roads take their toll on the enjoyment of a stiffly sprung car. The top is awesome! Like I wrote in my blog, we drove all day with the top back and talked all the while.

After the event, I drove a car back to the airport. It couldn't have rained any harder, but the 500c stayed dry inside.
Prima Edizione  29