In Canada, the fiat 500 just launched and promises 55 mpg - whats going on here??

Re: In Canada, the fiat 500 just launched and promises 55 mpg - whats going on here??

CaliberSRT4
Brummy wrote
I'd like to hear from Fiat 500 owners who absolutely love their car, have had NO problems with it and find that there's sufficient room in the back.  My husband cannot be convinced that we won't be buying a potential lemon - even though it's been on the market for years in the UK and he's read all the 'best car' blurb advertising it.
Watch this real-world cheap car comparison test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6eexAvDGFw&feature=related

The Fiat 500 wouldn't be so popular in Europe if it was a lemon. Europeans are much smarter about car-buying than us Americans.

Fiat wont start below -20 celcius

Former Fiat Fan
I just took back my Fiat 500 sport because of a safety feature installed in the car that won't allow it to start below -20. I also live in Edmonton and I know that we get below -20 for a good part of the winter. My dealer wasn't aware until I contacted Fiat Canada to find out if this was in fact true. The reasoning Fiat gave was that if it does start below -20, it will cause something to crack under the hood (i don't know the technical term for the part, sorry).

Re: In Canada, the fiat 500 just launched and promises 55 mpg - whats going on here??

lil500pop
i also chose the fiat. specificaly for the advertised 55 mpg. i do 90% hwy driving in it about 175km a day. i have yet to achieve 55 mpg. i get about 36 average after 6 months and 19000km. far cry from what they advertise.
 now i realize to get 55 mpg you d have to drive ideal conditions. flat roads, no hills, 90 km\h or less. because i live in vancouver area, i know i wont hit that mark but i thought it would do better than what im averaging.
 a bit dissapointing but i do enjoy the car. i have found that if you run 91 octane you will get a bit better mileage. for me and the amount of miles i drive it isnt worth the extra 10- 15 cents per litre to get an extra few mpg. if you only drove around  in the city  it would be worth it

Re: In Canada, the fiat 500 just launched and promises 55 mpg - whats going on here??

maryyou
The thing to remember is, the more sporty you drive it, the lower the mileage but if you drive normally, the mileage may be as good or even exeed the EPA estimates. The highway averages some are reporting is closer to 40mpg (again, US figures) but extrapolate that Aion Gold  to the Canadian figure and it should give you an idea of what to expect but the real thing to think about is, do you just want a sensible car or do you want a fun car that also gets good to very good mileage depending upon how you drive it?
12