I Took A Test Drive!!

John Reid
I was able to take a test drive yesterday.  The car was a delight and everything I expected, I'm very excited for mine to arrive.  In person the car is small, very small.  Smaller than my sisters Toyoya Yaris.  That doesn't bother me a bit.  I just hope that it's size doesn't affect it's success in the USA.

Re: I Took A Test Drive!!

ScarGo
I also took a test drive today and I can truly say the car feels well put together.  The car itself being the sport model had the nice supportive fabric seats and the 5 speed. The transmission shifter snicked into all the gears with a quality feel and the clutch pedal was light and progressive. I was truly impressed with the noise level inside the car.  The engine sound was only noticeable when revved and most of the sound came from the tuned exhaust.

The three dash buttons in the middle (sport, emergency, and rear window defogger)  felt of higher quality than the car at the Detroit auto show.

I do think that knee room will be at a premium for men. My right knee did rest against the center consul. However, the plastic of the consul was formed in such a way as to not cause a painful pressure point. .

It was a nice drive, but I'm waiting for the 500c

Re: I Took A Test Drive!!

prima 109
Funny you mentioned the Yaris.  The dealer I test drove the 500 also is a Toyota dealer and the gen Mngr said he was impressed with the Fiat  He said " we have the Yaris and it's so damned tinny compared to the Fiat."  just thought I'd mention that.

Carig
Craig #109 Rosso with sunroof/post assembly block heater.

Re: I Took A Test Drive!!

sketch
It's a niche car.  Size will only be an issue for the Fiat as much as it is for the Mini (it isn't).

Re: I Took A Test Drive!!

cogtooth
I took a test drive today with a few noted surprises.  It was much quieter than expected.  Shifting was very easy, but I would prefer a different shift knob than a metal one.  Not many three point turns will need to be done since it has a very small turning circle.  The sunroof was more forward than expected and one could actually look through it instead of in most cars being mostly useful for the rear passengers.  The sunroof was acceptably quiet. I would not put anyone taller than 5'9" in the back seat, but I am mainly interested in a 2 person carrying vehicle anyway.  Of course it looks small on the outside, but when you are driving it, it does not seem small at all.  A most important difference for me in comparing it to a MINI is that I was able to put my bike inside.  I'll try to get a picture and put it in the bike thread I started.
Bianco Perla Sport

Re: I Took A Test Drive!!

sam500
I actually just saw the 500 right next to my girlfriend's Yaris, and the FIAT looked significantly smaller. Kinda made me smile!

Re: I Took A Test Drive!!

PE#454
My local dealer got their demo car (silver with sunroof) in today and I gave it a quick test drive this afternoon. The car is very responsive in both shifting and turning. The dealership is on a major thoroughfare that feeds directly into the interstate, so I drove it past one exit before I got off the interstate to turn around. The ride seemed very smooth, much smoother than my MINI S, but then I didn't spend any time driving on crumbling asphalt, either.

Yep, this car is small, but, with the MINI, at least I'm already used to that, to a degree. I adjusted the seat almost all the way forward due to my short-ish legs and my right knee rested against the center console/gearbox. The back seat is more bench-like than the bucket seat feel to the MINI's back seats...a little more stiff. I don't know if, over long trips at least, that will wind up being better or worse for one's spine.

For anyone else in the Little Rock area who may be reading, the car is located at Landers Auto Sales/Little Rock Chrysler Dodge Jeep, 4600 University Avenue, Little Rock. Steve said they have to keep it in the back for now, which doesn't make a lot of sense as potential buyers will not know it's there and available to drive unless they know to ask.

I took a handful of pics on my iPhone, nothing spectacular, but will upload them when I get home.

Re: I Took A Test Drive!!

sketch
They're not supposed to let you drive it, either.  They can't show it off to potential customers because they are not yet allowed or able to sell the product. It falls under false advertising, from what I understand.

Re: I Took A Test Drive!!

prima 109
You're right Sketch, I too drove one but the dealer said he can't put it out front yet and he only called me and another person who also has a Prima res and let us drive it.  He said this car isn't here, and can't tell potentual customers it's there and is hidden in the back of the service dept of their chrysler dealership.

Craig
Craig #109 Rosso with sunroof/post assembly block heater.