Heated seats

MrJones
Where I live the forecast high temperatures this week are in the single digits. This has me thinking about heated seats. It was brought up in a post a long way back (in Internet time) about whether the heated seats option was with an auto transmission only. (this post http://fiat-500-usa-forum.965414.n3.nabble.com/Pricing-is-posted-on-Fiatusa-com-site-td1917029.html#a1921940)

Does anybody know if it's true. On the US Fiat site it is under the "safety and convenience" package with "(Auto Trans)" at the end. If so, what do you suppose the reason is for that?

Re: Heated seats

CaliberSRT4
Well the PE's have the auto temperature control, and the one canadian version has the alarm as well. But none with heated seats. Seems like the manual transmission interferes with the heated seats for some reason. Probably the placement of the switches.

Re: Heated seats

JustWilliam
  Heated Seats will be available as a dealer installed option on all models.

  I couldn't be happier about it. Once you've had heated seats in a cold climate, it's hard to give them up!

  Peace,
  William
“You can safely assume that you've created god in your own image when it turns out that god hates all the same people you do.”

Anne Lamott

Re: Heated seats

CaliberSRT4 wrote
Well the PE's have the auto temperature control, and the one canadian version has the alarm as well. But none with heated seats. Seems like the manual transmission interferes with the heated seats for some reason. Probably the placement of the switches.
I'm not as concerned about that reason as the automatic transmission's shifter is in the same place, more or less and the heated seat button placement is I believe the same here as in Europe where the manual is prominent, the 2 lower buttons on either side of the microphone. BTW, the US version has the ESC button mounted in the top left spot, I think the fog lights if installed get the top right spot though not sure of that.

Re: Heated seats

CaliberSRT4
From what I understand, the Sport button in the top left actually doesn't relax or disable ESC or TCS. It increases torque, throttle response, and steering effort (and shift points in automatic).

Re: Heated seats

ciddyguy
CaliberSRT4 wrote
From what I understand, the Sport button in the top left actually doesn't relax or disable ESC or TCS. It increases torque, throttle response, and steering effort (and shift points in automatic).
I think you misunderstood, the ESC is on the H/VAC control panel, down where the Blue and Me mic is, as you can see here in this photo of the Pop walk around video I grabbed some screen shots of.

the ESC off button is the top left next to the mic and it appears the fog light switch when they are installed will go here as well in one of the other spots.

I know the sport/eco button is the left one ON the dash itself.

Re: Heated seats

MrJones wrote
Where I live the forecast high temperatures this week are in the single digits. This has me thinking about heated seats. It was brought up in a post a long way back (in Internet time) about whether the heated seats option was with an auto transmission only. (this post http://fiat-500-usa-forum.965414.n3.nabble.com/Pricing-is-posted-on-Fiatusa-com-site-td1917029.html#a1921940)

Does anybody know if it's true. On the US Fiat site it is under the "safety and convenience" package with "(Auto Trans)" at the end. If so, what do you suppose the reason is for that?

Well here's my theory.  In order to get a good deal on the automatics from Aisin, Fiat had to purchase a large amount. So in order to sell all these units, they put together the convenience package which combines all the popular items together and really makes the auto trans attractive.  Well, just my 2 cents....

Re: Heated seats

CaliberSRT4
Oh, good call ciddyguy. Yes, I completely misunderstood haha. That is nice that they have the partial ESC disable as well, though I doubt it has a full-off ability like my car. And I do agree with you, that would seem to be where the heated seat switches would be.

Re: Heated seats

MrJones
Interesting theory, Chris. Of course, Fiat has conceded that 90% of the buyers want auto trans, so I can't see adding heated seats to be much of an incentive (especially since a good chunk of the population couldn't care less about warm butts--CA and the south).

William said "Heated Seats will be available as a dealer installed option on all models," and others think that the shifter will get in the way of the button.

*So, can anyone say for certain that the 5-speed will or will not have a heated seats option?*

This picture here (taken from one of Chris's blogs) shows the heated seats button (auto transmission) where the ESC button is on the video grab from ciddyguy
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_7IhKWjDc9wg/TPHFvs_1qqI/AAAAAAAAElk/sdeADP8Jcqo/s400/DSCN4141.jpg

I don't see why they can't put a seats button below the ESC button. They can put the button under the back seat for all I care--I would really like heated seats! I'm hesitant to add aftermarket to the PE.

Re: Heated seats

Mike S
I live in South Florida and I use my heated seats. I will order them if available on the car as a dealer installed option but I doubt I would go for an aftermarket system here.

Re: Heated seats

Carabinieri
Many (but not all, of course) options are doable by anyone who is reasonably handy.  Here's hoping (which, of course, isn't a method!) that FIAT will provide as detailed instructions on-line as does Honda.  Intended for dealer's techs, many such installs are in reach of klutzes like me.

In the case of heated seats, one problem is that basic cars -- such as our (otherwise wonderful) Honda Fit -- often have the seat-cover fabric glued onto the supporting material, e.g., cloth glued to foam.  Impracticable if not impossible to retrofit those with heating elements, so we went with a cheap heated seat cushion for Kathi's commuting bottom.  Each lasts about a season, but at c$15 delievered, a pretty good deal.

DNK how the 500 seats are made, but if the covering is removable (and pray they have slide fasteners or hook & loop closures), it is doable.  As most here know, the "help" at a dealership who does this kind of work often cares less about the result than we do.

BTW, as for us southerners not needing heating seats, as Mike S says, yes we do.  Don't forget that intro line from Dixie, "Early on one frosty mornin' ..."

Bill
Nei Secoli Fedele

Re: Heated seats

MrJones
Heated seats for southerners? Guess I had no idea you would need/want them. It's all relative, I suppose. Today I took the dog for a walk and it was -1F. No big deal. Temps above 35F and I go for my run in shorts.

Re: Heated seats

Mike S
At least you guys don't need air conditioning. Right?

Re: Heated seats

prima 109
Good one Mike S.  We have it up here too.

craig

Craig #109 Rosso with sunroof/post assembly block heater.