Alarm System is not standard equipment?

AgentP
I was doing a comparison on the "build your own" part of the Fiat website between features on the Pop and the Sport.  I noticed that an auto alarm is not part of the standard features of either version.  The BOSE premium Audio system that comes on the Sport does not include an alarm system.  To get an alarm on the Sport you have to add a $350 package just for that.  On the Pop, to get the alarm, you have to add the Premium Audio Package ($1,250).  IF the Sport version comes with Premium Audio Package - why is it missing the alarm?

The bottom line is based on this info, if you want a car alarm installed on the Sport you will have to cough up an additional $350 (for alarm plus Sirius).  If you want an alarm on the Pop, you will have to cough up an additional $1250.  I was thinking to forego the alarm and have one installed after market but would you trust any of those Stereo shops to monkey around under the hood of your FIAT much less them being able to find room for it?  That engine is so compact, I can't imagine that anyone could either find room for it or install it without creating some mechanical problems.  Further, why wouldn't an alarm be standard in the USA version?  Theft and vandalism in large cities (where most Fiat sales will come from) is a nationwide problem in USA.

Re: Alarm System is not standard equipment?

5*(10)^2
wow...did you just stereotyped all "Stereo shops" as being untrained, unprofessional and incompetent?

In that case, install your own alarm yes? Nothing more than a set of pliers, quick disconnects and screwdrivers.

Re: Alarm System is not standard equipment?

MrJones
AgentP wrote
Further, why wouldn't an alarm be standard in the USA version?  Theft and vandalism in large cities (where most Fiat sales will come from) is a nationwide problem in USA.
At least that's what the alarm companies want you to think!
I have never, ever, locked the door to any car I have ever owned. If they want your car, they're going to take your car.

Re: Alarm System is not standard equipment?

Giallo Edizione
MrJones wrote
AgentP wrote
Further, why wouldn't an alarm be standard in the USA version?  Theft and vandalism in large cities (where most Fiat sales will come from) is a nationwide problem in USA.
At least that's what the alarm companies want you to think!
I have never, ever, locked the door to any car I have ever owned. If they want your car, they're going to take your car.
Agree. Forget the alarm. Get some wheel locks if you have a PE, that's it. And never lock a convertible-unless you want to pay for a new top.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Alarm System is not standard equipment?

AgentP,

First off, this car does come, standard as all cars made since the mid 1990's, and that goes for all Euro models as well is an immobilizer system that disables the ignition system if the wrong key is used to start the car, that's it, cars used to not even have that.

What this means is your key has a little transponder inside it, essentially a micro circuit that is read by a tiny radio signal and if the key matches with what's in the control unit memory, it'll allow the car to start, otherwise, it'll shut the car down and force you to wait 4 minutes to try again if the first attempt fails.

The immobilizer only reduces teh chance of your car being stolen but not the contents within, a full alarm will protect against that, or at least reduce the chances of some petty thief stealing whatever is inside it.

An alarm, with some exceptions is almost never offered as standard equipment, especially in this class of car. Only the Lounge gets a full alarm as standard. To get it standard, you have to go above $20K to even having a snows ball chance of it being offered as standard equipment in most situations.

It saddens me to know they decided to bundle the alarm with sat radio (I don't want sat radio but do want the alarm though).

Re: Alarm System is not standard equipment?

CaliberSRT4
Usually alarm system is not standard equipment and often a part of an option package. The security alarm for my car was included in the Security Group which was a $1,485 package.

If you want the alarm, getting it from the factory is usually cheaper since you will avoid installation costs and it is bundled cheaper. However, with the Pop it is a $1,250 package that includes the Bose system, so it would depend on how much the upgraded sound system is worth to you.

ciddyguy wrote
The safety & convenience package on the Sport includes automatic temperature control, spare tire, alarm system, and heated seats (with automatic) for $650. With a manual there are no heated seats and the package costs less I believe, though I'm not sure on the exact price.

My dealer said that package was around $300 +/- on the manual models. He could be wrong.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Alarm System is not standard equipment?

sketch
ciddyguy wrote
The immobilizer only reduces teh chance of your car being stolen but not the contents within, a full alarm will protect against that, or at least reduce the chances of some petty thief stealing whatever is inside it.
I'd hardly even say that.  The (standard) immobiliser is plenty enough to stop a lot of thieves driving away with it, but that's not really commonplace anymore.  What's much more likely now is broken windows leading to stolen GPSes, radar detectors, purses, and the like, in which case an alarm won't even help you unless you have a glass break sensor installed with it.  It sure didn't help me.

Re: Alarm System is not standard equipment?

MrJones
My everyday winter car is a '96 Outback with the best anti-theft system: It's rusty, has a cracked windshield, and the back seat is full of dog hair. They would be doing me a favor stealing that thing.

Re: Alarm System is not standard equipment?

sketch wrote
ciddyguy wrote
The immobilizer only reduces teh chance of your car being stolen but not the contents within, a full alarm will protect against that, or at least reduce the chances of some petty thief stealing whatever is inside it.
I'd hardly even say that.  The (standard) immobiliser is plenty enough to stop a lot of thieves driving away with it, but that's not really commonplace anymore.  What's much more likely now is broken windows leading to stolen GPSes, radar detectors, purses, and the like, in which case an alarm won't even help you unless you have a glass break sensor installed with it.  It sure didn't help me.
True, I know an alarm isn't going to eliminate break ins, but it WILL reduce the chances of your car being a victim, and that's really all you can hope for anyway, assuming the system is an effective one and has glass sensors as you say, but I think most probably do and have motion sensors to determine if the car is being moved by someone riffling through it, but the motion sensors if installed incorrectly causes another problem in and of itself, false alarms which is another thing all together.

Ultimately, the best fail safe is to NOT leave anything of value loose in the car. Built in audio systems and the like are another matter and many of the better systems, both factory and aftermarket have some kind of anti theft feature built in, even the mid level aftermarket head units have removable faceplates that when removed, renders the unit unusable, most factory systems either destroy themselves if removed without the proper tools/code or need a code to reset or they won't work once reinstalled in another vehicle, this keeps people from trying to steal those.

I'm thinking a full alarm would be a nice thing to have as an added layer of protection for things that I may have to temporarily leave stowed out of site in the car for short periods of time - and it helps reduce my insurance rates too.

Re: Alarm System is not standard equipment?

Alvon Elrod
Personally, I despise car alarms, and don't ever use them (even though I'm stuck with one on one of our cars).  Whenever I see or hear a car alarm squelching and screaming, I've seldom seen anyone tend to the stupid things, and they run their annoying noise until the battery dies or whatever it is that makes them stop.  Can you think the police department will respond if you call them and report a car alarm?  What I do see, if anything, is some sheepish looking guy going around and around the car opening and closing doors and pushing buttons, and cranking and uncranking the car to try to get it to stop, to no avail.  A thief could easily do the same thing (pretend to be trying to stop the alarm), and nobody would no the difference, but carry on as usual and wish the fool thing would turn itself off!!

Unfortunately, the PE cars seem to come with an alarm, to my dismay.  I would much rather that Fiat had selected to provide us a spare tire than the stinking alarm.

Sorry about the negativity in this reply -- it's just the way I feel about the stupid things (and house alarms also -- don't get me started on that!).

Alvon
Alvon Elrod, #18 White, no sunroof
1970 Fiat 124 spider

Alvon
I believe those are the cheapy alarms. My car's security alarm system has never gone off (even with fireworks). But it does monitor the doors and ignition. So if someone opened the door somehow, then it would trigger I'm guessing.

Re: Alarm System is not standard equipment?

ciddyguy
CaliberSRT4 wrote
Alvon Elrod wrote
[...]

Exactly what they SHOULD do, only go off when someone smashes a window or opens a door or hatch etc. Most of the better systems have you using your remote to deactivate the alarm, which is what you do when you lock and unlock your doors, most systems from the factory when you press the lock button will have a light that blinks rapidly for several seconds to arm the system, once armed, the blinking slows down and stays flashing until you unlock the car. Most of these systems also allow you to use the key instead and then turn the ignition to finish the deactivation process.

Mom's 97 Honda Accord was like that and we had one time where the fob failed and found out how to manual shut it off (thankfully we had the owner's manual handy and there was a safety switch on the car to shut if off in case of situations like that.

That is why if I get an alarm, the factory unit designed for the car is I think the best bet.

House alarms are a bit of a different situation, considering the newer ones typically call the cops for you, and you to let you know that's what they've done.

Re: Alarm System is not standard equipment?

AgentP
I thought all cars came with an alarm - didn't realize it is part of a package.

 The last new car I bought was in 1991 - a VW Jetta and my then husband bought it and it came with an alarm (I don't know if he added or if it was standard).  Prior to that, I had a VW Rabbit that was broken into in broad daylight for my Blaupunkt aftermarket stereo.  The car had an alarm and it was a nice area.  The Ford Escape XLT I drive now was bought used with an alarm, so that is how I got the idea that alarm systems were standard.  Its something I think is necessary here in So. Calif. As a habit I never leave anything of value in the car - my husband insists on this and so far no one has broken into the car (knock on wood).  Thanks to everyone for the feedback.