4.1" Ground Clearance

trinME
I'm concerned about this. That's less than the mini (4.8"), which has a terrible reputation in even a bit of snow. It might even be a problem on less than perfect dry roads. And the Abarth will be 15 mm. less (=3.5")? Can you confirm these numbers, Chris? -TR

Re: 4.1

CaliberSRT4
I drive a car that is even lower than the Fiat 500 (Dodge Caliber SRT4), and it is not a problem even in heavy snow (I live in Michigan). Now if the snow is completely piled up, then yes it will plow. But if the snow is that high, then other cars will already have plowed and/or packed it to a point where it isn't an issue. If you are out on unplowed rural roads with heavy snow, then you would probably want a truck anyway, because most cars would have trouble (modern cars have lower ground clearance for improved aerodynamics and handling).

Also, I think the 4.1" figure is off. I briefly did a google search and found 6+ inches of ground clearance for the 500.

Re: 4.1

Gavin
Mmmm, the Euro 500 is 1414mm (or 5.6 inches)...the US is 1040mm?? so 4.1 inches. Could be a typo or it could be the new US model front bumper is lower....looking at the image on the homepage of this site, seems like fine ground clearance...if the front bumper is the lowest part, well that can plow snow fine...I worry more when the oil pan is the lowest part (like my VW Golf was)...I had to replace that pan when it hit a rock on a dirt road...

Gavin

Re: 4.1

FiatGal
TR, I'm not going to worry about it. A while back I visited a fiat500 online forum where most members were from Finland, Scandinavia, etc. I was concerned how it handled in the snow, and although  I wasn't specifically thinking about clearance, the response was overwhelming: they raved about it (granted, sort of like preaching to the converted) and posted tons of pics of fiats in winter wonderlands.

But if I see you plowed in after the city snow plows come through, I'll get my tiny shovel out of the trunk and help clear out the snow!

And ps... Who's John Quirk? Subaru dealer? Guess I'll see you there!

Re: 4.1

trinME wrote
I'm concerned about this. That's less than the mini (4.8"), which has a terrible reputation in even a bit of snow. It might even be a problem on less than perfect dry roads. And the Abarth will be 15 mm. less (=3.5")? Can you confirm these numbers, Chris? -TR
The US 500 has a revised and upgraded suspension (I'm in the process of learning about it and am waiting for more material), also the 500 Sport has different springs/dampers.  Ground clearance depends on how it was measured (dry weight, with fluids, etc.), so currently, all I can go by is what's published.

As for the new Abarth, that is an unknown. Very interesting, though, I'll keep it in mind if I hear of anything.

Re: 4.1

trinME
Thanks, Chris. Thanks everyone, for your reassurances, though I'll feel a lot better if it turns out 4.1" is in error.
Laura- From a web search, John Quirk owns multiple dealerships, with multiple brands, throughout Maine, New Hampshire, and Mass. He also owns (I think) the VIP auto store chain. I was aware of Quirk Chevy in Portland, but he also owns Chrysler dealerships in other parts of Maine, so I guess that's how he got the Fiat franchise. I can't find any mention of Fiat on their web sites, and nothing useful comes up for "Fiat of Portland". Let me know if you hear anything more. -TR