Wheels/ Mods

Re: Wheels/ Mods

Giallo Edizione
Scorpion wrote
I'm finally making the trip to Tire Rack on Wed. They were waiting on a new Fiat-specific (4/98 bolt pattern) wheel to arrive. I'll keep the brand a secret for now  but hope to have pics by the end of the week.

We are going to be fitting three different wheel/tire combinations for photography.

If you have any specific wheel questions about the 500, let me know and I'll do my best to get an answer.
Have they tried fitting up  H&R or other brand wheel spacers?

What the heck is a "floating bolt" they mention in notes to wheels that allegedly fit 500's?

Have they tried any +1 tire fitments for stock wheels?
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Wheels/ Mods

Giallo Edizione wrote
What the heck is a "floating bolt" they mention in notes to wheels that allegedly fit 500's?

Have they tried any +1 tire fitments for stock wheels?

The wheel bolt has a floating seat that takes up the difference in the bolt pattern (98mm vs. 100mm).

<quote author="Giallo Edizione">

Re: Wheels/ Mods

Scorpion
Giallo Edizione wrote
Have they tried fitting up  H&R or other brand wheel spacers?
Not to my knowledge, but I will find out. I also have connections at H&R, so I can get their input as well.

Giallo Edizione wrote
What the heck is a "floating bolt" they mention in notes to wheels that
allegedly fit 500's?
I think that's their name for a "wobble bolt"

Which allows a certain amount of "play" so that a 4/100 will fit the Fiat's 4/98 bolt pattern.
I personally don't have any experience using these, and still have some reservations. But, I'm going to discuss that with the wheel engineers there.

Giallo Edizione wrote
Have they tried any +1 tire fitments for stock wheels?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean? Typically a "+1", by definition is the increase of the wheel diameter by 1". I do know we will be fitting/photographing at least one set of 16" aftermarket wheels. But, I'm going to assume that the they will use the factory tire size (width and aspect ratio).
Prima 111 Rosso
VIVA500.com

Re: Wheels/ Mods

Scorpion
As mentioned, I loaned my car to Tire Rack to test fit different wheels and sizes. Check out the results in this Facebook gallery:

http://tinyurl.com/fiat-500-wheels
Prima 111 Rosso
VIVA500.com

Re: Wheels/ Mods

sjmst
Cool!

Re: Wheels/ Mods

RacerRon
I like the OZ Racing Alleggerita HLT Anthracitec wheels.

Re: Wheels/ Mods

Installed my new wheels today. I was worried about the ride, but there is not a noticeable difference.  Certainly rides a lot better than my wife's Jeep Wrangler!

edited for grammer:(

Re: Wheels/ Mods

sjmst
Wheels go well with the PE graphics!

Re: Wheels/ Mods

Rick
SJMST and Scorpion have it right.  They may look alike but the US model
IS DIFFERENT than the Euro model.  Especially the chassis.  I spoke with
H&R just yesterday and they are a couple of months out for Fiat 500.  There
are others closer.  I'll keep this board posted on availability.  I hope to offer at least two
options.  One set up for comfort and another for more aggressive driving.

Rick
HotFiat.com
HotFiat.com
Oops.  I Fiated again!
Prima Edizione #373
1960 Fiat Multipla

Re: Wheels/ Mods

Rick
Yes Scorp I think the wobble bolt is the same as a floating bolt.  In any case these things scare me.  Does any one out there have something that would make me think a bolt designed to jury rig a wheel onto a car by deflecting upon tightening, is good?  I'm skeptical but willing to listen.
HotFiat.com
Oops.  I Fiated again!
Prima Edizione #373
1960 Fiat Multipla

Re: Wheels/ Mods

The wheel bolt doesn't deflect or move, just the "collar" or seat.  The cone seat fits into the wheel the same, it's just shifted off center.  As long as the wheel is hub centric and you torque the wheels to spec's (100 lbs ft- according to the Fiat manual), you're fine.

Brief discussion on an Automotive Engineers Forum:

Read here

Re: Wheels/ Mods

Rick
Nice engineering thread and an interesting read.  I guess I'm a bit more comfortable but would rather have a 4 / 98 wheel fit properly to the hub.

Thanks for the reference
HotFiat.com
Oops.  I Fiated again!
Prima Edizione #373
1960 Fiat Multipla

Re: Wheels/ Mods

Rick wrote
Nice engineering thread and an interesting read.  I guess I'm a bit more comfortable but would rather have a 4 / 98 wheel fit properly to the hub.

Thanks for the reference

Me too, I was reluctant  about getting 4x100 wheels. But after talking to folks that know about these things, I went for it. There just isn't that many 4x98 wheels out there.