To sunroof or not to sunroof?

FiatGal
I was really intrigued by Gavin's comment on a sunroof: it adds complexity, and therefore he was not opting for it.

I'd be interested to hear what others think/feel. I used to have a sunroof on my old Mazda GLC (yes, it was a Great Little Car), and I loved it. Back then, I lived in Southern California: it was open most of the time. It was also a hand-cranked mechanism as opposed to a power mechanism.

Now I live in Maine... On the one hand, that sunroof will be open maybe two months out of a year. On the other hand, especially in the PE or Sport version with an all black interior ambiance, I could see how having the sunroof would let more light into a dark space.

Thoughts? I'd especially be interested in comments from folks who have had sunroofs and live in northern states. I keep having visions of snow getting in through the cracks!

Re: To sunroof or not to sunroof?

Mike S
This is more than just transportation. This should be fun. Will a sunroof make you smile even one extra time in your life? You decide.

I live in South Florida and have a sunroof on my daily driver. In over 3 years I've used it less than 5 times. On the much older Fiat 500 it is open most to the time.  I thought it would be cute to get last years Christmas tree with the 500. Yep, fits right through the sunroof hole.

It's useful too! Go to Home Depot and pick up that 10 foot long PVC pipe or the 8 foot long 2x4's.

If you've got a sunroof, you've got a pickup truck.

Re: To sunroof or not to sunroof?

Gavin
Ha, yes I feel similar to you Laura in that IF i get the Prima and it has the dark interior, I will likely get the sunroof...which I don't want...it's not that I hate sunroofs....its just...well see the next sentence....

What I want is the Prima with the fixed glass roof....or the Lounge with both the lighter upper half of the interior and the fixed glass roof...

But if I can't get the fixed glass roof and I decide to get the Prima anyways, well I will be forced to get the sunroof as I really think the Prima 500 will be dark and small feeling without it.

Gavin

Re: To sunroof or not to sunroof?

JustWilliam
  I've NEVER regretted having a modern moonroof/sunroof, especially in a subcompact. Here in Portland OR, It can be cloudy, rainy and grey for MONTHS on end. A glass roof panel paired with pale interior materials are a perfect remedy to a gloomy atmosphere. Even in winter it can be tilted up an inch or so for great ventilation. Close the shade if it's too bright, open it fully in great weather.

  The cost and complexity are worth it to me, and I'm really happy to see it available on the Pop!

  Peace,
  William
“You can safely assume that you've created god in your own image when it turns out that god hates all the same people you do.”

Anne Lamott

Re: To sunroof or not to sunroof?

LauraInME wrote
I was really intrigued by Gavin's comment on a sunroof: it adds complexity, and therefore he was not opting for it.

I'd be interested to hear what others think/feel. I used to have a sunroof on my old Mazda GLC (yes, it was a Great Little Car), and I loved it. Back then, I lived in Southern California: it was open most of the time. It was also a hand-cranked mechanism as opposed to a power mechanism.

Now I live in Maine... On the one hand, that sunroof will be open maybe two months out of a year. On the other hand, especially in the PE or Sport version with an all black interior ambiance, I could see how having the sunroof would let more light into a dark space.

Thoughts? I'd especially be interested in comments from folks who have had sunroofs and live in northern states. I keep having visions of snow getting in through the cracks!
I would love to have the sunroof too and had one in my 88 Honda Accord and living here in Seattle, like Portland, gets lots of gray days and it's really nice to have because when we get those mild days in January and February where we hit 65, it's nice to slide the 'roof open, even if you have the heat on some for it's just nice and I used that sunroof A LOT, especially in the summer. when it gets too hot, close it and the shade, I had to do just that on a trip to LA and it helped since the AC didn't work and it was in the 90's as I barreled down I-5 through the San Juaqin Valley in early June of 2002 but on mild days, it is wonderful to be able to press the button and open it up the sky above.

I like how this one slides up and over the existing roof, mitigating the reduction of headroom and you can tilt it up for ventilation as an option, something my old sunroof could not do.

And if you have electrical problems, there may be a mechanical crank to manually close it if something goes wrong like my Accord had, came in handy as water leaked inside through the base of the windshield and caused havoc with the electricals.

That said, some have weep holes that drain under the car and they will clog up, causing some water to get inside but not all sunroofs do this, the Honda did however and when it happened (twice), $70 and an hour or so later, it was fixed (they drop the headliner and blow out the lines).

Still, love a well executed sunroof.

Re: To sunroof or not to sunroof?

I live in Long Island and most of my cars have had sunroofs. I almost never use it. Still, I am thinking I will get it for the PE. What the heck, it probably will let some more light in the dark interior.

Re: To sunroof or not to sunroof?

FiatGal
Thanks for all those comments!

And Mike, completely forgot about the Home Depot errands. I spend half my time there, and can't believe I didn't see the utilitarian value on top of the sheer pleasure of having a skyview...!

Re: To sunroof or not to sunroof?

Re: To sunroof or not to sunroof?

Gavin
Nice photo....don't get me wrong, if I get the Prima and can't get a fixed glass roof, I will be getting the sunroof. But if I get a Lounge, I won't. I like the light it brings but don't really need the opening...if i want some extra air flow I can open the windows :). As for fitting a Christmas tree....that is what my scooter is for :) I have carried some darn huge items bungee-corded to my scooter...one year it was a 7 foot Christmas tree

Gavin

Re: To sunroof or not to sunroof?

Ed_R
I don't know the mechanism of the 500 sunroof, but typically if they move, they take up head room.  I have one on my car and I only open it to get the heat out in the Summer. I only notice it when the sun is beating in and it interferes with using sunglasses.  Then I either pull the "blind" or put on a hat.    If the sun roof is fixed, and there's no headroom penalty, and you don't mind the sunglare, then I'd say go for it.

Re: To sunroof or not to sunroof?

ciddyguy
Ed_R wrote
I don't know the mechanism of the 500 sunroof, but typically if they move, they take up head room.  I have one on my car and I only open it to get the heat out in the Summer. I only notice it when the sun is beating in and it interferes with using sunglasses.  Then I either pull the "blind" or put on a hat.    If the sun roof is fixed, and there's no headroom penalty, and you don't mind the sunglare, then I'd say go for it.
The sunroof on the Fiat slides up over the existing roof so there should be little headroom penalty. I had it in my 88 Honda Accord, but it slide down inside the headliner and I had no issues w/ headroom but then again, I'm not freakishly tall. :-)

There may be a visor you can have mounted to the front of the opening that is of a dark smoke tint to help w/ the glare. My Honda had it and it was great, also helps w/ wind buffeting too.