Thinking of passing on mine

woorob
I really like the 500 but am very disappointed in the grey interior color that seems to be standard in all of the PE versions.  Very dull, why not repeat the exterior color for the dash like virtually all other 500s?  I'm not sold on the stripe, wheel design or [higher] cost, either, so I'm starting to rethink whether to go ahead with the purchase when they call me.

I'm wondering whether it might be better to wait and order a car in the exact color and configuration I want.  Anyone else having similar misgivings?

It's an excellent car, by the way.  I've driven one over 10,000 km in Italy and loved it.

Bob Woods (#437)

Re: Thinking of passing on mine

sjmst
The dash can be changed, I believe. Should be neither difficult nor expensive. Still, of course I understand wanting to buy the car new just the way you like it.

I'm probably going to walk from mine. I sat in the dealer demo with sunroof and I just couln't get in comfortable driving position without the roof rail in the way. I like to drive sitting upright and not straightarmed, so adapting by lowering seat back doesn't do it for me. I'm hoping dealer has an incoming Rosso PE without a roof that is either abandoned or wants to swap for the roof. Otherwise, I will select from inventory-probably a stripped Sport and wait for the Abarth. Might be one coming with a brown and grey interior that would be a bit more interesting than the monotone gray. And in any case I won't have to remove the stripe and buy a new bezel. My guess, by the way, is that the convertible will have similar clearance issues long the siderails.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Thinking of passing on mine

5*(10)^2
I would be lying if I say I never thought of giving up my PE.

Doesn't mean that I am not an avid Fiat fan. Same reasons as what Woorob and Sacred Bezel outlined. And the exclusivity of owning/driving a PE is an exponentially decaying function just because the regular non PE 500s will most likely arrive in the showroom about the same time.

Re: Thinking of passing on mine

sam500
It took me a while to come to this, but I think I'm sticking with my Prima, and yes, the graphite bezel. At least for now. It's strange to say this since I have been such an outspoken advocate of the body color dash, and to be honest, still in some ways prefer it (and can always replace it, as many have pointed out), but I've spent a fair amount of time looking at all the available pictures of the Prima Edizione, and I really like how unique and sporty it looks. I love pretty much everything about the interior, and actually think that the graphite bezel looks a touch sportier and more elegant than the red (which has always looked a touch plasticky to me). It also looks pretty great with the red stitching, exposed body color around the windows, the buttons in the middle of the dash, and the numbered 500 logo. It really does remind me a bit of the Ferrari Tributo Abarth. I also love the mirrors and roof, have warmed up a lot to the racing stripes. It's also (obviously) one of the first 500, and therefore a small part of FIAT history. Will it retain its value better than other cinquecentos? Maybe, I don't know. I think I care more about the sentimental value factor. Eventually there'll be hundreds of 500s in LA, and thousands around the US, and none will be quite like this one, which does make me happy.

Now, I really do have to see it in person. If I don't absolutely love it, and there's a fair chance that I won't, I might see if I can get a hold of an olive green or a rosso brillante sport. But I want to give it a chance, I really want to love it, and I have a hunch that I might.

Re: Thinking of passing on mine

sjmst
Same here, Sam,

Re: Thinking of passing on mine

5*(10)^2
sam500, you in LA as in Los Angeles or Louisiana?

I am in Los Angeles.

Los Angeles as well :)

Re: Thinking of passing on mine

5*(10)^2
sam500, I have a feeling we will be getting our calls this week. Seems a like a sunny week to check out the PEs.

My last two test drives at MVLA was a downer and a upper. So it is neutralized somewhat. The first test drive was with a gentleman who had no clue about the Fiat 500. I wrote this up in another post. Shortly after, I met Michael and he was on top of things. That changed the mood of the second test drive immediately.

I wanted to bring up a comparison with Lotus. They released their new lineup last year and almost everyone in the US community hated the new design/direction based on the pictures online, ie they all look the same and they are heavy! Until of course I saw the cars in person and totally fell in love with the 2015 Elise , 2013 Esprit and 2013 Elan.

A part of me wished I never seen rbrf2's posts but since I can't unsee them, I need to see the car in person.

Re: Thinking of passing on mine

sjmst
Not sure where to put this, but a dealer on Long Island, Brown's in Patchogue, says $350 complete to swap out Prima Dash for body colored dash.

Re: Thinking of passing on mine

sketch
I'm with you, too, sam.  I've considered passing on it mostly because I had the same problem as Bezel with the sunroof (at 6'2", but with short arms, I guess?), but I did find a somewhat comfortable driving position with the seat reclined some, and, after adjusting the seat in my Prius to be in a similar position, I've grown accustomed to it.  After seeing the real photos of the white Prima with the black roof, the stripes, the red stitching... I wouldn't want to give it up for any other 500.

I might be singing a different song when the Abarth is released, though! :P

Re: Thinking of passing on mine

Giallo Edizione
sjmst wrote
Not sure where to put this, but a dealer on Long Island, Brown's in Patchogue, says $350 complete to swap out Prima Dash for body colored dash.
That has to be almost 50% labor.  If its held in by simple screws or fasteners it's probably not all that hard for the home mechanic to do.

As for color, consider black dash on the red PE ( or any of the 3 for that matter). The body color dash looks good on non-PE's in part because the body color visible on the side mirrors flows nicely side to side with the dash. Now make those mirrors black and the dash is a bit of an orphan and you lose the sweeping effect. However, put in the black dash and you have the full width color flow, plus it connects nicely to the black roof, stripe and wheels, and is a bit less garish especially with the red stitching. If I take my PE ( *@#$%@!! sunroof) I will most definitely do this.

I actually remember you saying this before, and I think it could look pretty great! I'd be interested to see pics when/if you do it.

Re: Thinking of passing on mine

Giallo Edizione
sam500 wrote
Yeah, if I say it enough I will begin to believe I actually have the car already....
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Thinking of passing on mine

Doodles
I wonder how many people are now making excuses not to buy one
Because they don't have the money.
I notice as we get closer to crunch time there seems to be a lot
more negative comments.  And most of the negative comments are
trivial at best.  Do your self a favor and don't make any decision
untl you see your car and talk to the salesman. You don't want to
chicken out after you've been waiting for 6 months just as your about
to cross the finish line.  There won't be another oppurtunity to get
your car after this..  Good Luck.

Re: Thinking of passing on mine

sketch
To be fair, Sacred Bezel aka Secret Bezel aka Finale Edizione aka ??? has a good point.  The sunroof really does impede on headroom quite a lot, and, in the traditional sense, at six foot two I don't really fit in the car I ordered.

I'm gonna go through with it anyway, though, even though I can't really afford it and it makes no financial sense for me to do so since I already own a very dependable, safe car which consumes even less fuel than the Cinquecento (and on 87 octane, to boot), holds more people and stuff than the Cinquecento, and attracts even more attention.

But, to hell with it!  Now is not a time to be sensible!  It's time to let my heart lead the way, to do things simply for passion and romance and desire.  It's time to slip into something a little more Italian.

Re: Thinking of passing on mine

Gavin
Mmmm, buying a new car sight unseen and without test driving one...not knowing when it is coming, or how or how much added price etc etc...not being able to make changes we had been told we could...

still I'm planning to get mine (when and from where? not 100% sure)

I'm not sure where the "trivial" complaints are...even the bezel/dash isn't a trivial complaint...the dash is a HUGE part of what the 500 is...that said, the graphite goes well with the gray, so no complaints here (the 500 sticker on the dash is a bit gaudy for me...I like the sleek 500 without the colors better...but not getting the car over that would be trivial).

Money's not an issue for me...probably not for most of these Prima buyers (they mostly seem older and professionals)...so it kinda seems insulting how you mentioned it that way...but I will just assume you didn't mean it the way it sounded.

As for why more complaining now? Well we have been waiting longer, the communication has been actually poorer lately, we have finally seen the Prima for the first time ever (some like it, some don't) and we are not true "Prima" customers anymore as other 500s are on the road ahead of us and some regular 500s were even sold before the famous 1st Prima from MD....

Those seem like actual reasons to complain vs an imagined lack of funds from people you don't know.

Hope to hear from some Dealer on Monday and get more info on my Prima...but I haven't heard anything in a couple of days from the dealership...even longer from Fiat themselves. Last I heard they did not know where or even how they are getting me my car...still I remain hopeful.

Gavin

Re: Thinking of passing on mine

AgentP
Ok, I just took a test drive at the downtown LA Fiat dealer.  No pressure to buy from Mitch or the really nice guy that assisted me on the test drive and beyond.  The bezel color is a non-issue according to Michael (who Mitch the salesman had turned me over to for the test drive).  The bezel can be ordered in any color you want when you order your car and doesn't even have to match the car's exterior color.  However it appears to me, that the PE comes in the standard grey on grey on the inside.  Headroom - I am 5'8" and 140 lbs - the car is perfect for me.  Michael's hair was grazing the rail and I asked him how tall he was and he said, 5' 10" - if the seat can be adjusted DOWNWARD like seats usually can (at least in my Escape and my past VWs) then it should be ok for a guy who's 6'0" or so.  I test drove a manual transmission Sport and it was a dream to drive.  i'm sold on the car.  While there, I got to see Jay Leno's PE which was on the top floor with excess stock.  Jay's is car #2 - it says this in the window stick that the car was made for him (its probably a stock PE, but whatever) - it proves its his.  They had a few other Sports and Pop versions - I've now changed my mind and will get the Sport - the front and rear of the Sport looks better and the the smaller tire size on the Pop is not appealing to me. He told me that if you put down a $500 deposit on a car, ordered it, and something happens like you change your mind, lose job, etc - you can back out of the deal and get your $500 back.  The car comes with about 3 diff. warranties - from memory there's a power train warranty that goes 4 years or 50K, then there was a 3-year bumper to bumper warranty for repairs and maintenance.  He also says Chrysler will back up the Fiat dealer if Fiat unable to handle repair issues that arise.

This is going to be my only car - not a collector's car or a spare car - so it is a big decision.  My dad and I first saw the car at the Italian festival last year and I've been waiting for it to be introduced here.  However, my dad thinks I wil regret buying one because of its size, but I have always been a fan of micro cars like the Isetta, and always wanted to drive a golf-cart as a primary (not exactly legal option here in Calif) so the car appeals to me on that level and I know sometimes the small size will be inconvenient but willing to deal with it (its not a big issue since my husband will take my Ford Escape as his primary car).

Re: Thinking of passing on mine

5*(10)^2
Doodles wrote
Do your self a favor and don't make any decision
until you see your car and talk to the salesman. You don't want to
chicken out after you've been waiting for 6 months just as your about
to cross the finish line.  There won't be another opportunity to get
your car after this..  Good Luck.
I agree with Doodles regarding above sans the "lack of funds" thing.

See the car for yourself. Talk to the sales person before making a decision.

Today, I attended Cars and Coffee here in So Cal and I was expecting to see a PE there. Indeed. There it was. A white one, no sun roof, delivered from Motor Village. Spoke to the owner as well. I will refrain from posting pics or his #. But so far he loves the car.

He invited me to check out the interior. This is the first time I saw everything up close in person. Previously I have seen the pics online but not my wife.

Our verdict? We love the interior! The graphite dash matches really well with the grey seats and the red stitching, not to forget the floormats with the red 500 stitching (yup no Prima Logo on floormats). Stand back a few feet, get an overview of the interior. Then close up and examine every detail. The colors flow very well. Subtle no doubt but sportiness lined with Italian class.

Our PE is ready to be picked up but we will til next week. There will be a tentative party at MVLA on Weds as told.

Re: Thinking of passing on mine

Doodles wrote

... Our PE is ready to be picked up but we will til next week. There will be a tentative party at MVLA on Weds as told.

Sounds great, Congratulations!