Tall Driver Test Drive

Karl
I test drove a slightly damaged Fiat 500 at Whitten Fiat in Richmond yesterday. Was hoping to replace my MINI Cooper S. Unfortunately my right knee does not have enough room for anything over a 30 minute drive. Could have used a telescoping wheel and dead pedal also. I have the same troubles in many cars. Maybe Fiat will add some small changes over time to help.

The car had been sideswiped on the dealer lot, was missing a mirror and some driver door paint. That and my fitment problem were reasons I didn't spend a lot of time checking everything out but had a mostly positive impression of the car. Looks very good, felt solid and drove well. Shifter is different enough that I had trouble getting into reverse but that's all. Turning radius seems tighter than MINI. Power was decent considering there were three adults on board. Didn't wind it out either. Seems like there could be more useable room behind the rear seats than MINI. Will probably check it out again once a good assortment hits a real Fiat Studio near me. Both Richmond ones are at least 60 days out, according to them, and have not started any noticeable construction.

Re: Tall Driver Test Drive

spindoc
How tall are you, Karl?

Re: Tall Driver Test Drive

Karl
I'm 6'4" or so, 34" inseam to indicate leg length.  I had barely enough room under the sun roof, but was not planning to get that anyway.

Re: Tall Driver Test Drive

sketch
I'm 6'2".  Fitting under the sunroof is the most difficult part for me—or, I should say, fitting under the sunroof and still being able to reach the wheel.

The only way I fit well was to take a more sports-car driving position, with the seat reclined a good bit.  The pedals were a pretty good distance away, but the steering wheel could really use a telescoping function.

The driving position in my Prius is similar, but the Prius (no sunroof) has a lot more headroom, so I usually sit more upright.  I actually moved my seat back and reclined it in my car to see if I could live with a position like that, and it's been strange, but I think it's working.  Workable, at least.

I ordered the Prima Edizione with a sunroof, which may have been a mistake, but I've wanted a sunroof for a long time and I've never had trouble fitting under the sunroof in my friend's '02 Mini Cooper.  I'm gonna have to sit in it again.