Start and Stop?

FiatGal
So I'm still a little confused on the engine. The one I've had my eyes on is the Start&Stop, basically, sounds like a hybrid, right?  Now, is this Start&Stop the same as the lauded TwinAir? Or is it a standard behavior with all engines? If it's a TwinAir configuration, do we know if and when Fiat intends on bringing the Start&Stop here?

Re: Start and Stop?

cinquecento
Last I'd heard, Start/Stop tech wasn't going to come here.  The EPA's test cycle, as far as I know, doesn't factor in complete stops.  That said, it would be incredibly easy for them to implement it on the US model if they so chose, the technology isn't all that complicated.  It's really nothing like a hybrid, however.  Hybrids store energy that would have been lost to braking and use it to boost subsequent acceleration, though many if not most hybrids also stop the engine while at idle (unless you're running accessories that take the alternator to keep running).

Start/Stop tech is a NO-BRAINER for all motors; it essentially sacrifices nothing and improves fuel economy.  As I understand it, once your motor is warm, the crank position sensor can tell a cylinder to fire without the starter motor, a truly ingenious technology.

I'd be surprised if we saw the tech any time soon, at least until the EPA gets their act together and fixes the city test cycle...
398 -> 24

Re: Start and Stop?

LauraInME wrote
So I'm still a little confused on the engine. The one I've had my eyes on is the Start&Stop, basically, sounds like a hybrid, right?  Now, is this Start&Stop the same as the lauded TwinAir? Or is it a standard behavior with all engines? If it's a TwinAir configuration, do we know if and when Fiat intends on bringing the Start&Stop here?
And another benefit of the start&stop is that you aren't stopped at a light, spewing out emissions either, which is the other reason behind having it along with fuel mileage.

Re: Start and Stop?

trinME
This article, originally posted by Mike S, :
http://www.allpar.com/cars/adopted/fiat/500.html?ktrack=kcplink

has a detailed description of the start/stop system, and seems to say it will be an option in the US. It appears to be an option on the 1.4 L Twin Aire, not a different motor.
 The article has details on the US 500 which I've not seen elsewhere, but I don't know how to judge it's accuracy. Perhaps Chris could comment? -TR

Re: Start and Stop?

FiatGal
Yes, it was reading that article that prompted me to post this question on Start&Stop, in part b/c that article wasn't stating that the S&S was not coming to the US. But it wasn't clear on if it was coming at all.

Re: Start and Stop?

trinME
You're right, that part of the article is confusing. Possibly start/stop is only available on the 1.2 L TwinAire, which won't be available in the US, at least for now. -TR

Re: Start and Stop?

trinME
Correction- I realized I used the wrong terminology above. The 1.4 L (4 cylinder) engine coming to the US is the MultiAir. The TwinAir, which is not coming to the US, is .875 L (2 cylinder). Or is there also a 1.2 L version? I'm still confused. -TR

Re: Start and Stop?

trinME wrote
This article, originally posted by Mike S, :
http://www.allpar.com/cars/adopted/fiat/500.html?ktrack=kcplink

has a detailed description of the start/stop system, and seems to say it will be an option in the US. It appears to be an option on the 1.4 L Twin Aire, not a different motor.
 The article has details on the US 500 which I've not seen elsewhere, but I don't know how to judge it's accuracy. Perhaps Chris could comment? -TR
Hi all,

That article is an older story Allpar did on the European 500 now recently updated with snippets of the new Chrysler press release on the US car. The stories are combined, so some of the info is not applicable, like the start/stop.

It's doubtful the start/stop system will show up in the new cars for the reasons expressed a few posts up.

I have a story describing the differences between the US and Euro car coming out shortly (I'm waiting for the last few pictures being sent to me).

Re: Start and Stop?

trinME wrote
Correction- I realized I used the wrong terminology above. The 1.4 L (4 cylinder) engine coming to the US is the MultiAir. The TwinAir, which is not coming to the US, is .875 L (2 cylinder). Or is there also a 1.2 L version? I'm still confused. -TR
In Europe, there is a 1.2L 4 cylinder gas engine (makes about 68hp).  That engine is not coming here to North America.

By the way, when you read a European road test mentioning the car is slow, they are driving this engine and not the 1.4L.

Re: Start and Stop?

ciddyguy
Fiat500USA wrote
trinME wrote
Correction- I realized I used the wrong terminology above. The 1.4 L (4 cylinder) engine coming to the US is the MultiAir. The TwinAir, which is not coming to the US, is .875 L (2 cylinder). Or is there also a 1.2 L version? I'm still confused. -TR
In Europe, there is a 1.2L 4 cylinder gas engine (makes about 68hp).  That engine is not coming here to North America.

By the way, when you read a European road test mentioning the car is slow, they are driving this engine and not the 1.4L.
Yup, as Chris said, the 1.2L won't be coming here, reason is that it's an older motor, uses 8 valves (2 per cylinder) in a fixed timing configuration, where as the Turbo Diesel, the Twin-Air and the 1.4L Multi-Air are much more modern and all use variable valve timing with 4 valves per cylinder as the heart of their design.

This variable valve timing technology helps w/ emissions, performance to an extent by varying when, how long (duration) the valve is open or even if it should open and by how much it should open (partially or fully or somewhere in between) which helps w/ lower rpm emissions/idle and higher rpms for cruising and helps increase driving pleasure throughout the engine's range.

So far, we are not getting the Twin-Air or the Multijet II Diesel here - yet but one never knows as our driving expectations change and we begin to resort to other options to help with the rise in gas prices.

I would not be surprised if Fiat either discontinues the 1.2L 4 eventually, or updates it with variable valve timing, probably elimination as the 900CC motor has about the same, if not better performance in a much smaller package.