Some interesting facts on Fiat

ciddyguy
Read of this yesterday in the Financial Times at work and am working from memory so I may not have all the facts right but the gist of the article was about the big 3 and their top guys NOT being car guys.

That is, guys who moved up from within the ranks of their respective companies. They were all brought in from outside. Mullalay having come from Boeing, I forget what the top guy at GM came from and Marchione was dealing with the financial side of business before he landed at Fiat in 2004 (and coincidentally, he's the youngest at 58 and the most casual, if a bit rumpled in his sweaters etc, the photo they show was him in a short sleeved polo, right arm up, not a terribly great photo, but probably one that worked for their needs) and how the 3 of them have done things that have brought about needed fresh air to their respective companies.

What I found interesting was how Marchione and others from Fiat/Chrysler were honest enough to say that throughout what they had accomplished had them panicking at times with the numerous refreshes at Chysler, 3 redesigns models, then we have the Fiat brand and in there, Fiat has decided to split their company into 2 parts, the commercial vehicle side is now a separate company (or will shortly) and Fiat SPA can concentrate on cars, allowing I think more flexibility of investments and allow each to move independently of the other as need be. They may spin off the Manelli group that makes switch gear but I think more possibly, spin off Farrarri and add to that, Fiat is now looking at bring the FULL LINE of Fiats to the US, the original plan was to only bring in the 500, but that quickly morphed into this so before long, Fiat will be a viable brand, hopefully in N. A.

Remember, ever since Fiat stepped in just over a year ago, almost all Chrysler models got at least vastly improved interiors, if not a redesigned body (Chrysler 300 and Charger and Grand Cherokee with the new Cherokee substantially more work inside and out), which encompasses 11 models, then the 500, almost from the ground up modifying it for the US, now THAT'S a tall order indeed and it looks like it may pay off, but too early to tell.

So while no profits yet, (Marchione makes no money until they do from Chrysler itself) and the fact that they've reached another milestone, or so sources say to get another 5% stake in Chrysler sources say they may end up with even more of Chrysler by the time it's all over if all goes as planned.

Cautious optimism is abound at both Chrysler and at Fiat it sounded like from what I read.

Anyway, so far so good but still too early to really tell how it'll all play out, once cars are in the dealers, we can then begin to see some results is how I look at it.